The Open 2024 - Practice Days

AdamW

Visit site
Had a great time at the open championship yesterday.

Looking at sorting application for 2024. But the crowds were a little tricky to deal with at times to see anything unless you was in the stands so thinking of going to a practice days next year.

The practice days are Sunday - Wednesday. Do all players play all practice days or just a few? Do they have scheduled times so you know who is where when? Wondering if there is a best day to go for it being less crowded?

Thanks

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I've been to the practice days which admittedly was a few years ago there were no set times the crowds were smalland more were out in the morning rather than later.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It will depend on the weather on the day as well..
Nice morning - crap afternoon = everyone out there before lunch..
Probably won't be the same at Troon but there were 75k at Hoylake on Wednesday....

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Wednesday is my favourite day to go to the Open.
All tee times are published on the day. I imagine everyone will play at least part of a round.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
BTW, how much were tickets this year?

Only paid £30 for the Thursday at the Scottish Open. Bargain.
Did you get a discounted 'Scottish ' rate? I looked for the Friday and seem to remember they were £45.

Still great value compared to The Open. You see the same golfers without the sheer number infront and around you as per this week.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did you get a discounted 'Scottish ' rate? I looked for the Friday and seem to remember they were £45.

Still great value compared to The Open. You see the same golfers without the sheer number infront and around you as per this week.
Of course not!
If you bought your tickets 2 weeks in advance it was £30 for the Thursday and Friday.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Of course not!
If you bought your tickets 2 weeks in advance it was £30 for the Thursday and Friday.
I looked when they were first released, I went last year and was on the email list. I was sure I'd seen £45 for Thursday and Friday 🤔. I'll have to read more carefully next year.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I looked when they were first released, I went last year and was on the email list. I was sure I'd seen £45 for Thursday and Friday 🤔. I'll have to read more carefully next year.
Screenshot_20230723_142352_Gallery.jpg
I got an email telling me prices were about to increase so bought one there and then. Think the Thursday went up to £40.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
The Wednesday is my favourite day to go to the Open.
All tee times are published on the day. I imagine everyone will play at least part of a round.
They are but loads don’t stick to the times, they jump around holes and join other groups. We sat on the 1st tee on Wednesday and think there were at least 6 or 7 groups where they didn’t turn up at all or only one or two did but then they appeared on different parts of the course. For example McIlroy wasnt down on the sheet at all, neither was Hovland. We were waiting for Fleetwood and Hatton who were down together and neither appeared. An hour or so later all 4 of them appeared on the 5th but none appeared to tee off the first. They’ll all be playing at some point just don’t rely on the advertised tee times.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I’m going to start planning our trip for next July, but it looks like accommodation is already pricey.
Anybody have any local knowledge or experience of a Troon Open?
My initial thoughts are to travel up for a few days and maybe incorporate some golf into the trip for myself and the youth. Not sure what day we have tickets for yet.
I’m thinking about maybe hiring a camper van and stopping on the way up, but just wondering what transport links are like to Troon itself as I very much doubt we’ll be able to get anywhere too close.