Gap year @ 50 total where & what to play ? bucket list 2023

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
HI all looking for some options for 2023 - I've quit my job (long story #Stress) and have funds to have a YEAR for me.

I've got a starter list from Empire and happy

March to November 2023 - current highlights Silloth #36 in April, Carnoustie Tassie I've ruled out as over priced compared to other 4 days events, July Cruden bay challenge (4 days) and finally try and fastest finger into EDEN trophy for August.

Saunton, Royal N Devon, Hesketh #36, Copt Heath, Bromborough #36. Prestbury #36, Fairhaven pairs, +35's events Berkhamsted, North Hants, Sunningdale (Micklem Cup) Sept

any multi day events spring to mind that aren't normally listed on the main search area's ? ideally max spend £90 for a day (not paying £280 a round EVER)

Any ideas most welcome and thanks in advance :love:

#ScratchOrBustTour

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Theres some very scenic but not exactly top 100 courses in the UK which would be worth playing!

Kington and Cleeve Hill spring to mind, views that are just worth playing for!

I think a mini series of you playing forumers at their home tracks would be great too :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 23270

What's your handicap? Some events like the Micklem ballot out much lower than the stated figure, I think this year it was + something.
If you are that low, why not look at some of the big amateur events. The Logan, Hampshire Hog, Solent Salver etc you will have a chance of getting in to off scratch or thereabouts.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
super low amateur stuff agreed no chance of my current 3.3. Eden last year didn't even grab a reserve slot and I think late entry was 0.5.

Just looking for ideas, like the Cruden challenge 4 days £150 etc that don't show up on Golf empire etc. Royal St Davids another return visit required #36 gold cup

What's your handicap? Some events like the Micklem ballot out much lower than the stated figure, I think this year it was + something.
If you are that low, why not look at some of the big amateur events. The Logan, Hampshire Hog, Solent Salver etc you will have a chance of getting in to off scratch or thereabouts.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 Castles Golf Comp in Northumberland, Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh and Alnwick. The website is stating it is full for 2023 but there may be a reserve list that is worth getting on. In 2022 the cost was £150 per pair, 4BBB stableford comp each day. £75 per person is well within budget.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Is only a single day but could maybe tag on other things - Frilford Heath usually do a black tee challenge in October.
Think some forum members have dabbled in the past

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
HI all looking for some options for 2023 - I've quit my job (long story #Stress) and have funds to have a YEAR for me.

I've got a starter list from Empire and happy

March to November 2023 - current highlights Silloth #36 in April, Carnoustie Tassie I've ruled out as over priced compared to other 4 days events, July Cruden bay challenge (4 days) and finally try and fastest finger into EDEN trophy for August.

Saunton, Royal N Devon, Hesketh #36, Copt Heath, Bromborough #36. Prestbury #36, Fairhaven pairs, +35's events Berkhamsted, North Hants, Sunningdale (Micklem Cup) Sept

any multi day events spring to mind that aren't normally listed on the main search area's ? ideally max spend £90 for a day (not paying £280 a round EVER)

Any ideas most welcome and thanks in advance :love:

#ScratchOrBustTour

Good luck for the Eden, you really do have to be on your marks at the point entries open, I have played in the starthryum run at the same time, happily my handicap should get me in that without the rush

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Just a word of warning. After a year off will you want to work again??? :)

I am 58. Packed in work on 1st Oct last year... played about 30 something away days this year. Have been thinking abut doing some work over the winter, just for something to do... just been offered a job, decent one too. Sat hear thinking, "do I need the hassle?" Although Spring seems a long way off! :)

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
I quit at totally the wrong time but sadly I'd been holding back for 18 months so it when I got an ultimatum over finances I walked out and quit within 3 minutes (self employed) March would have been prefect :)

plenty of rehab and practice to manage and extra fitness through the cold winter :-(

Just a word of warning. After a year off will you want to work again??? :)

I am 58. Packed in work on 1st Oct last year... played about 30 something away days this year. Have been thinking abut doing some work over the winter, just for something to do... just been offered a job, decent one too. Sat hear thinking, "do I need the hassle?" Although Spring seems a long way off! :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some crackers and already bookmarked most :) Royal Dornach excellent option if EDEN fails again
You will have to be quick off the mark for Dornoch, fills really quickly. RD I believe is already almost full for visitors tee times for next year, even the members had to book their summer tee times for 2023.
There are plenty of 4 and 5 day opens in Scotland. Most clubs have them, but again you have to quick off the mark.

Bobthesock

Visit site
You will have to be quick off the mark for Dornoch, fills really quickly. RD I believe is already almost full for visitors tee times for next year, even the members had to book their summer tee times for 2023.
There are plenty of 4 and 5 day opens in Scotland. Most clubs have them, but again you have to quick off the mark.
Think dornoch is more random ballot rather than fastest finger but could be wrong? It's a bucket list course no doubt but won't be playing in the shield again. It's too cold up there for a week and the struie course is terrible!

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
scanning Southerness, Turnberry and Prestwick area's guessing they don't need golf week's or have i missed one? odd singles day but nothing multi day (single days from Coventry might be a push :)