Competitions

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I like a scramble. We have 2 per year and my pals and I maybe do another couple informally.
The high handicappers don't get that many shots, the way that the team HI is calculated. The highest team handicap for our last scramble was 11 (HIs of 16, 18 and 24).
And it's no slower than an average 3-ball comp.
:LOL:

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
How about this

Medford
  1. Play first 9 Holes Strokeplay and take off Handicap. Allowance for 9 holes.
  2. Play second 9 Holes Stableford.
  3. Deduct Stableford score from net strokes on the. front 9 holes and enter result.
  4. The player with the lowest total score wins.

RichA

Visit site
So a team of low single figure handicappers (HI 5) would only be giving 8 shots to a team of guys who aren't even good enough to play bogey golf (HI 20).
You honestly wouldn't fancy your chances?
Anyway, surely the point of a scramble is that it's fun, you have teams of mixed ability and the low handicappers pop their egos in a box for 3 1/2 hours.

Swango1980

Visit site
So a team of low single figure handicappers (HI 5) would only be giving 8 shots to a team of guys who aren't even good enough to play bogey golf (HI 20).
Anyway, surely the point of a scramble is that it's fun, you have teams of mixed ability and the low handicappers pop their egos in a box for 3 1/2 hours.
In the dozen or so scrambles I've played since WHS began, the winning team has been around nett 16 to 23 under par. That will be tough to match for a team of scratch golfers.

A team of high handicappers get to eliminate 75% of their shots, which is a huge advantage when there may be many bad ones. Not such an advantage for 4 scratch golfers, who will probably hit 3 to 4 pretty good shots every time.

The only competive scramble I played in was when the draw was purposely done to have a low, 2 mid and a high handicappers in every team

RichA

Visit site
In the dozen or so scrambles I've played since WHS began, the winning team has been around nett 16 to 23 under par. That will be tough to match for a team of scratch golfers.

A team of high handicappers get to eliminate 75% of their shots, which is a huge advantage when there may be many bad ones. Not such an advantage for 4 scratch golfers, who will probably hit 3 to 4 pretty good shots every time.

The only competive scramble I played in was when the draw was purposely done to have a low, 2 mid and a high handicappers in every team
That's mental.
The team of 16, 18, 24 playing off 11 would have to go around our course in 59 strokes. They actually won with 74 (net 63, 8 under).
A team of 3 x 30 would have to go around in 67.
67 (net 61) is the best gross score recorded at ours in a scramble. It was by a team of 6, 10 and 11.

We play the variant where each team member must contribute 6 tee shots, including a par 3 and a par 5 each. Maybe that's the equaliser. And all our scrambles are teams of 3, not 4.

Swango1980

Visit site
That's mental.
The team of 16, 18, 24 playing off 11 would have to go around our course in 59 strokes. They actually won with 74 (net 63, 8 under).
A team of 3 x 30 would have to go around in 67.
67 (net 61) is the best gross score recorded at ours in a scramble. It was by a team of 6, 10 and 11.

We play the variant where each team member must contribute 6 tee shots, including a par 3 and a par 5 each. Maybe that's the equaliser. And all our scrambles are teams of 3, not 4.
I'm talking about 4 player scrambles to be fair. I know the handicap calculation is not consistent with 3 player teams, hence you couldn't have 3 and 4 player sides in same competition

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I've nothing much to add other than at our club we have a 4 man Scramble comp in the days between Christmas and New Year and its always such a great laugh. Its normally on a day there isn't normally a comp too. (comps every weds and sat at ours)

We have a few throughout the year, but I just love the xmas one.

Swango1980

Visit site
I've nothing much to add other than at our club we have a 4 man Scramble comp in the days between Christmas and New Year and its always such a great laugh. Its normally on a day there isn't normally a comp too. (comps every weds and sat at ours)

We have a few throughout the year, but I just love the xmas one.
It is the festive holidays though, most of us have a reason to be jolly. If they had a foursomes where you had to play with a player who only ever hit the ball into bushes, I'd probably still enjoy that more than I normally would :)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I played with a 12, 17 & 19 (plus me off 5) couple weeks back, old style 10%. We were 6 under gross.

My former team when we played opens (stopped cos of WHS) were all 5 or 6, we've gained 1 shot under WHS, those guys (let's give them an 18 as their fourth man) have gained 4.

No I wouldn't fancy giving those guys 11 under as a start, which is why we stopped playing scramble opens.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A bit off topic but I've got a scramble on Saturday, should be fun. I like a small amount of these in a year but not too often

This is a 36hole pairs event over 2 courses on same day, which adds a nice twist (won't win anything though)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
A bit off topic but I've got a scramble on Saturday, should be fun. I like a small amount of these in a year but not too often

This is a 36hole pairs event over 2 courses on same day, which adds a nice twist (won't win anything though)
That's a whole different kettle of scramble. Played my first one couple weeks back, great format. Cuts out the swicks, and really makes you think.