Open Competitions 2024

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Last year I tried to get into an open at Northamptonshire County, but they had dropped the HI limit to 18.0 and I was around 19.7 at the time.

As I dropped down to 16.4 in 2023 I have booked both Northamptonshire County and Copt Heath (18.2 limit) just in case I go back up during 2024.

I love playing in opens and must have played in at least 15 last year.

I agree with the comments on the prices going up, especially the better courses. Hollnwell is the one course in the East Midlands that I really want to play that I have yet to, but at over £100 a round, that's too much. Its the same with Little Aston in the West Midlands.
Booked into Copt Heath myself today (11th May) and just weighing up if I can make Northamptonshire, played it a couple of years back and it's a fantastic price for the open.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Booked into Copt Heath myself today (11th May) and just weighing up if I can make Northamptonshire, played it a couple of years back and it's a fantastic price for the open.
Just looked and there’s just 12 places left at Northamptonshire (24th August). I’m booked in at 8.20 and no one has joined me yet, so feel free to join me if you can make it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been looking for ages. No rush at the moment as take up seems slow. I look at mixed comps and have got st Anne's old already booked in, a freebie as last year's was called off mid comp. Looking at Skipton, nice track and can combine with a visit with a cousin. Also usually play Lindrick after a tip from on here, many thanks Tash I think it was. Currently considering Nefyn seems most recommend on here.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Last year I tried to get into an open at Northamptonshire County, but they had dropped the HI limit to 18.0 and I was around 19.7 at the time.

As I dropped down to 16.4 in 2023 I have booked both Northamptonshire County and Copt Heath (18.2 limit) just in case I go back up during 2024.

I agree with the comments on the prices going up, especially the better courses. Hollnwell is the one course in the East Midlands that I really want to play that I have yet to, but at over £100 a round, that's too much. Its the same with Little Aston in the West Midlands.
At some Clubs they allow you to play if above HI Limit. E.g. If limit is 18 and your HI Index is 18.2 you can play but play off 18.2.. May I suggest you contact The Club to ask.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
At some Clubs they allow you to play if above HI Limit. E.g. If limit is 18 and your HI Index is 18.2 you can play but play off 18.2.. May I suggest you contact The Club to ask.
I would suggest you are very much correct considering the fluctuations that can occur in handicaps under the current system, on saying that, your advise is probably the best way to proceed.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Nothing booked as yet but have been looking when I have had a moment, look to play one a month from April onwards usually 4BBB or possibly a team event, preferably a course not played before and within about an hours drive.
Considering the comments on here I am pleasantly surprised the bargains are still to be had, considering Whitefield, 4BBB Senior Open £20 per man, will see what the others have to say.
Noticed Crompton & Royton is only £17.50 per person then realised it is mentioned on the hilliest courses thread more than once, will have to do a little research.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Just looked and there’s just 12 places left at Northamptonshire (24th August). I’m booked in at 8.20 and no one has joined me yet, so feel free to join me if you can make it.
Ah, unfortunately I didn't see this before I booked, my friend and I are playing at 12:50, very much looking forward to it.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Sun/Mon booked for 8 of us at Seaton Carew's Festival Week next Sept. At a total cost of approx £140 a man, it'll take some beating for a Weekend Driver (Golf 2 x £35 + £48 Travel Lodge single room + £22 for breakfast & a Chicken Parmo dinner in Club House!!)
Where you are, what are you paying for a Weekend Driver??

Skytot

Visit site
I’m on holiday in Beadnell Northumberland June 7th til 14th. I fancy playing in the Dunstanburgh Castle GC Senior Open Pairs on Tuesday 11th . If anyone fancies pairing up let me know ?

JT.

Visit site

Playing the open at Northants County too.

Love Hollinwell, but thought Little Aston was very average when I played there. Beau Desert is much better if you’re in that neck of the woods (although as always beauty is in the eye of the beholder!)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is is pal, went to Beadnell last September with our 6month Golden Retriever pup . We all loved it . Fantastic beaches & fish n chips
Sorry this is off topic everybody.
Going for a week with the wee 🐕, looking forward to exploring some more.
Druridge Bay and Warkworth (and its beach) are well worth a visit.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry this is off topic everybody.
Going for a week with the wee 🐕, looking forward to exploring some more.
Druridge Bay and Warkworth (and its beach) are well worth a visit.
From I was a child in the NE in the 50's they have been promoting Northumberland as a holiday destination..... as most visitors are very happy they failed can you please stop!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Too late this year, I'm normally on the ball for this one but not this time.