Open Competitions 2024

The Lion

Visit site
So far I’ve booked these.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who’s keen to do pairs events in the North and Midlands…

Warrington £35 GG
Elie £27
Islay £135
Cruden Bay £50
Nairn £50

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In 3 weeks I'm playing a Leeds Union B/ball at Ferry Bridge GC for £15 on the UK's driest course. Hitting 3 woods 200yds off a mat, we took it on countback last year with 45pts :oops: :oops:
By 1pm tomorrow, with fast-fingers, I hope to have booked 2 days of LincolnQuaker-organised, EG days at Ganton, Sherwood Forest & Selby for May with the Seaton Carew Seniors Salver already booked for the 7th of May.
By the end of March, I'm hoping to add a Yorkshire Union B/ball at Moortown for just £20 following the 2 days at Ganton.
With Opens & Society days getting silly prices (other than the NE), I'm finding other ways to get value from away days.

The Lion

Visit site
In 3 weeks I'm playing a Leeds Union B/ball at Ferry Bridge GC for £15 on the UK's driest course. Hitting 3 woods 200yds off a mat, we took it on countback last year with 45pts :oops: :oops:
By 1pm tomorrow, with fast-fingers, I hope to have booked 2 days of LincolnQuaker-organised, EG days at Ganton, Sherwood Forest & Selby for May with the Seaton Carew Seniors Salver already booked for the 7th of May.
By the end of March, I'm hoping to add a Yorkshire Union B/ball at Moortown for just £20 following the 2 days at Ganton.
With Opens & Society days getting silly prices (other than the NE), I'm finding other ways to get value from away days.

The Union and Quaker days look interesting. What exactly are they? I’d poss be interested if there’s any forum stuff over your way; am in the North West..

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Union and Quaker days look interesting. What exactly are they? I’d poss be interested if there’s any forum stuff over your way; am
If you find out which Golf Union your Club is in you can then visit their Website to see what they offer Union members. Same for your County. The Quaker stuff is Glynn Roddy who works for EngGolf.... it's their Senior Series & Captains events.... real quality &, as youd expect, well organised.

The Lion

Visit site
If you find out which Golf Union your Club is in you can then visit their Website to see what they offer Union members. Same for your County. The Quaker stuff is Glynn Roddy who works for EngGolf.... it's their Senior Series & Captains events.... real quality &, as youd expect, well organised.

I had no idea about all that, so thanks. Sounds good and hope you enjoy.

Last edited:

The Lion

Visit site
Nairn Seniors?
Haha nope, I’m too young for that. Part of me wishes I wasn’t given the climate disasters coming, but also the still-cheap golf at top courses!

It’s the September handicap open. Subject to change though, if Hackney Carnival goes ahead that weekend. Will also be in the Highlands before then (August) for my annual trip, so could possibly link up for a game. I’m usually a country member at Tain, but not been the last two years, however hopefully finally will be again end of the year.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the 10am Seniors sign-in accomplished..... am in at Ganton, Sherwood Forest & Selby (a sand-based gem if nobody has played it)
Next is the Captains sign-in at noon.
Now out to walk the dog.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Haha nope, I’m too young for that. Part of me wishes I wasn’t given the climate disasters coming, but also the still-cheap golf at top courses!

It’s the September handicap open. Subject to change though, if Hackney Carnival goes ahead that weekend. Will also be in the Highlands before then (August) for my annual trip, so could possibly link up for a game. I’m usually a country member at Tain, but not been the last two years, however hopefully finally will be again end of the year.
Thats a new one on me, we only ever had 2 mens opens the King Trophy which is off the blacks and the seniors and they want silly money for the King Now, they tried to make it an elite comp and the cut off was scratch but you could get in off 2. oh and of course the 5 day, but thats brutally slow.

I'm a member at Tain too, was a member there years ago

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the 10am Seniors sign-in accomplished..... am in at Ganton, Sherwood Forest & Selby (a sand-based gem if nobody has played it)
Next is the Captains sign-in at noon.
Now out to walk the dog.
Well that's it, May's golf is now sorted as I got into all the Captain's events as well, though Ganton & Sherwood sold out in minutes. Was £99 for each with a breakfast roll/coffee, a meal after & the top 8 finishers get to go to, expenses paid, national final on the Hotchkin at Woodhall Spa.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well that's it, May's golf is now sorted as I got into all the Captain's events as well, though Ganton & Sherwood sold out in minutes. Was £99 for each with a breakfast roll/coffee, a meal after & the top 8 finishers get to go to, expenses paid, national final on the Hotchkin at Woodhall Spa.

I am playing Captain's at Ganton and Seniors at Sherwood Forest, very happy as they were the two I had targeted.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am playing Captain's at Ganton and Seniors at Sherwood Forest, very happy as they were the two I had targeted.
Wow, quality stuff. Have you played Ganton before? If not, don't stress about going into bunkers. There are too many to avoid. Pace control on the greens is the toughest thing. It is soo oooo easy to 3 putt. Great place to play though, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As it's getting increasingly difficult to play top courses at a reasonable cost it's interesting to think back on what was possible in the past.
Last played Ganton about 10 years ago in an Open when it was a 'bargain' 36 holes in a day for £100. So 18 holes with food before & after for £99 is pretty fair.
Sherwood Forest, some 7 years ago, was my 1st EngGolf Seniors event & was over 3 days with a practice round followed by 36 holes over 2 days & the lot cost about £50!! Was the last I saw of GM Legend, RickGarg.
Also of note was that last year, the EG Captain's national final at Woodhall Spa was over 2 days with a 2 overnight stay and rounds on both the Hotchkin & Bracken. This year it will be just a single round on the Hotchkin & one overnight.
Golf is trimming wherever you look........ however, H4H remains one of the very best value days anywhere. 🏌️‍♂️ ⛳

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Couple more entered

Purdis Heath £75
Aldeburgh £75

add it to the existing West Surrey (£100) and Fortrose and Rosemarkie (£40)

still got some more to enter. Gog Magog (£65) will likely get an entry…then try and find some others

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
St Anne's old links fantastic
Lindrick amazing
Ormskirk amazing
Alnmouth never played.

Non opens
Pike Fold
Sickleholme
Thornock
Crompton and Royton
Hopefully Rotherham

The Lion

Visit site
Did you get blown off the course last Easter? :) I also played in the RND Easter Medal in 2023... good event

Got a trip to the Highlands to play Castle Stuart in a 36 hole event. Playing other courses en route up and back.

Spookily I am sat at a PC right round scouring Golf Empire for this years Opens!

Happy to help with course advice if you’re still looking. I’ve been up there a lot, so can hopefully be useful!