PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Someone posted this a few weeks back

If true a welcome change to how it should have been from day 0

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have heard that they are hoping to incorporate some way of ensuring that people who play well in better ball competitions are more easily identified for handicap reduction. Exactly how, and indeed whether it will happen I have no idea.

Presumably England Golf will run a series of events to educate County and Club officials about any changes to WHS during the winter period.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have heard that they are hoping to incorporate some way of ensuring that people who play well in better ball competitions are more easily identified for handicap reduction. Exactly how, and indeed whether it will happen I have no idea.

Presumably England Golf will run a series of events to educate County and Club officials about any changes to WHS during the winter period.

They trialled this in Ireland and I believe have now stopped doing it.

The arguments against it are pretty solid in my opinion.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
What will this mean in like, layman's terms? Does it means our handicaps will go down or up?

I would assume it would depend on your club.

HI shouldn't change dramatically (score diffs should be the same) but PH will in some cases.

If I've understood it right -

Our CR (67) is 2 below Par off whites, so people will lose 2 shots to their PH in competitions from what they currently do?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would assume it would depend on your club.

HI shouldn't change dramatically (score diffs should be the same) but PH will in some cases.

If I've understood it right -

Our CR (67) is 2 below Par off whites, so people will lose 2 shots to their PH in competitions from what they currently do?
Our course rating is 66.6, par is 68. (I'll just leave that there and wait for a boffin to arrive and do the maths for me.)

sjw

Visit site
Unless you're having blow-up holes where you're over nett double bogey, your handicap won't change at all.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Our course rating is 66.6, par is 68. (I'll just leave that there and wait for a boffin to arrive and do the maths for me.)

I think it basically means that your course handicap will reflect the course rating as well.

So in your example if you have a course handicap of 15 now you might only get 13.4 now (or 13 rounded) shots.

That's my understanding but I'm sure there's something I've missed.

In theory it should make it easier to work out your score differentials and impact to handicap. Off the yellows at mine I can currently play to course handicap but my score differential is generally higher because of the course rating being lower than par (I imagine yours is the same). Whereas with this change you'll get less shots but playing to handicap should be reflected in your score differentials eg. You shot 13 over /36 points, your score differential will be 13.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it basically means that your course handicap will reflect the course rating as well.

So in your example if you have a course handicap of 15 now you might only get 13.4 now (or 13 rounded) shots.

That's my understanding but I'm sure there's something I've missed.

In theory it should make it easier to work out your score differentials and impact to handicap. Off the yellows at mine I can currently play to course handicap but my score differential is generally higher because of the course rating being lower than par (I imagine yours is the same). Whereas with this change you'll get less shots but playing to handicap should be reflected in your score differentials eg. You shot 13 over /36 points, your score differential will be 13.
Don't like the sound of that. My playing handicap is already lower than my index as it is!

AussieKB

Visit site
You guys are going the way that OZ are.......
not bloody happy here.....the low markers are getting killed.

I am playing tomorrow at a difficult course off a 1 handicap,
courses are rated using a USA system, crazy.

Have said that the people who come and rate the course
are made to play the course first.....when they do not score
30 points it makes them look like idiots to say it is easy.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not too worried until we get but does it also mean the end to 95% in singles play.

If yes - no change for me at my current H.I of 12.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Use the formula with unrounded figures.
Handicap index x (Slope Rating / 113) + (Course Rating - Par)
Round the result. That gives your Course Handicap. Apply the Handicap Allowance to get your Playing Handicap.

I think Scotland use the unrounded CH before applying the HA and then round.

I think all the ISVs now do the calculation for you (except V1 who are working on it for 4BBB and perhaps other 'unauthorised' formats).