Alterations to WHS?

D-S

Visit site
I have shares in the company that makes the handicap boards! £££££££££££ 😁

I wish!
I spoke with a club recently who had just been rerated as they introduced a shorter course etc. They needed new boards for the 4 or 5 tee sets. When I asked whether they were were going to wait for the 1/4/2024 changes they said they wouldn’t bother as it only cost them £90.

NearHull

Visit site
From a very reliable source.

Four changes.

The first of these will be the use of ‘CR-Par’ in the calculation of course handicaps, as in America and other Countries.

There will also be a slight change to the calculation of playing handicaps (not to the % applied).

An alteration to the calculation of the ‘unplayed’ 9 holes which go toward the calculation of an 18 hole score differential for the handicap record.

Four ball better ball competition scores will be introduced as a mandatory format for handicapping.

start date of Apr 24. Information meetings for Club reps in a month or so run by County reps.

IanMcC

Visit site
Four changes.

The first of these will be the use of ‘CR-Par’ in the calculation of course handicaps, as in America and other Countries. - Sensible

There will also be a slight change to the calculation of playing handicaps (not to the % applied). - It is purely a percentage of CH, I believe, so don't understand this one yet.

An alteration to the calculation of the ‘unplayed’ 9 holes which go toward the calculation of an 18 hole score differential for the handicap record. - Its not perfect at the moment, so this may be an improvement. Again, it may be carnage.

Four ball better ball competition scores will be introduced as a mandatory format for handicapping. - Complete madness.

D-S

Visit site
From a very reliable source.

Four changes.

The first of these will be the use of ‘CR-Par’ in the calculation of course handicaps, as in America and other Countries.

There will also be a slight change to the calculation of playing handicaps (not to the % applied).

An alteration to the calculation of the ‘unplayed’ 9 holes which go toward the calculation of an 18 hole score differential for the handicap record.

Four ball better ball competition scores will be introduced as a mandatory format for handicapping.

start date of Apr 24. Information meetings for Club reps in a month or so run by County reps.
County Reps (Secretaries and County Handicap Advisors) have had zero information so far except for the information that CR-Par will be introduced. So there is no way they will be ready to run information meetings next month. They will probably be arranged for December- January.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What will this mean in like, layman's terms? Does it means our handicaps will go down or up?

It will finally make sense! IE at my course I shall get more shots than the easier course down the road (easier by course rating)

Should also get more shots off the whites than yellows again making much more logical sense!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It will finally make sense! IE at my course I shall get more shots than the easier course down the road (easier by course rating)

Should also get more shots off the whites than yellows again making much more logical sense!
If, as stated above, I'll get even less shots than I do now then it doesn't make sense for me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why would it? It was a significant part of the other two major systems pre WHS. USGA and Oz.
I have never played in OZ or Australia .

So one shot less when I play in singles stroke play comps.

Reckon I will get that back in no time based upon current form:sneaky::sneaky:

D-S

Visit site
At my course it will be 2 more off the Whites, the same (as now) off the Yellows and 2 less of the Blues. To be honest with these as my new course handicap it would be a toss up to know which tees I should play off to give me my best chance of playing to my new CH.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I don't get any shots when I play any course, I make a gross score and my Score Differential is based on this gross score.
My HI is calculated from these gross scores. Introduction of CR-Par will not make any significant difference to this process.

When playing with and against others, CR-Par will mean everyone will move their handicaps up a bit or down a bit by the same amount producing no significant difference to that either.
It will bring us more in-line with other countries, however.

(Imagine the lowest player in the field has his-or-her handicap adjusted to zero. Everyone else adjusts their handicap by the same amount. I played in a roll-up years ago when this was done. Don't know how or why they started doing this. Maybe they were copying what is done in matchplay. It made no difference to the outcome of the event.
CR-Par will be the same no-significant-difference-effect to outcomes of events.)

I wish all the rest of the UK would follow Scotland and not round CH until after PH percentage is applied.

I am very interested about the "scaled up 9-hole" calculation change. Looking forward to that one.

Fire away! I'm here to be shot at.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
As a handicap golfer, I always get shots when I play. The board near the first ter tells me how many.

Is the rest of the world following Scotland o rounding, or is Scotland doing its own thing and not fully complying with WHS ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
As a handicap golfer, I always get shots when I play. The board near the first ter tells me how many.

Is the rest of the world following Scotland o rounding, or is Scotland doing its own thing and not fully complying with WHS ?
That board tells you how many shots you get relative to others. Your handicap on the day is relative to others.
You "get shots" when you play with and against others.

No one gets shots against the course. It is the other way round.
You play the course with no shots (every time) and then the handicap you are given is based on those returned gross scores.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
N
That board tells you how many shots you get relative to others. Your handicap on the day is relative to others.
You "get shots" when you play with and against others.

No one gets shots against the course. It is the other way round.
You play the course with no shots (every time) and then the handicap you are given is based on those returned gross scores.
No, even if I play a few on my own, I get the shots from the board, and the card tells which holes I have them on.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
What will this mean in like, layman's terms? Does it means our handicaps will go down or up?
A heck of a lot of golfers have an attitude that scoring 36 Stableford points means they've "played to handicap". Of course this isn't true at present. For example, if the course par is 2 more than its CR, you need to score 38.

This change in how CH is calculated means that 36 points really does pretty much represent "playing to handicap". That's the only meaningful consequence I can think of.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A heck of a lot of golfers have an attitude that scoring 36 Stableford points means they've "played to handicap". Of course this isn't true at present. For example, if the course par is 2 more than its CR, you need to score 38.

This change in how CH is calculated means that 36 points really does pretty much represent "playing to handicap". That's the only meaningful consequence I can think of.
Yeah I still think that way as well. So if it does get us back to that then maybe it is a good thing. :)

For the average golfer who doesn't want to overthink it, 36 points should be considered playing to your handicap. I mean the whole point is that net par = 2 points, so if you net par every single hole, how can it be said that you didn't play to handicap? You did exactly what was required from the amount of shots you receive. It makes no sense to me any other way.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
so if you net par every single hole, how can it be said that you didn't play to handicap?
Because you played better than your HI. Your average score is shots worse than that. Even of your best 8, 36 points is better than that average. So score 36 points, your handicap will be cut, since you played better than it. So you didnt play TO handicap.