Alterations to WHS?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because you played better than your HI. Your average score is shots worse than that. Even of your best 8, 36 points is better than that average. So score 36 points, your handicap will be cut, since you played better than it. So you didnt play TO handicap.
That's not true at all. I scored 37 points the other week and my handicap went up.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
That's not true at all. I scored 37 points the other week and my handicap went up.
Because we are not yet using CR-par. In the CR-par situation next year, your handicap will have to drop. Your 37 the other week would be a 34 or something next year. Your HI will always have some scores worse than its average. So if you score on the average, the worst will be discarded and the on-HI score count. Reducing your HI.

wjemather

Visit site
You guys are going the way that OZ are.......
not bloody happy here.....the low markers are getting killed.

I am playing tomorrow at a difficult course off a 1 handicap,
courses are rated using a USA system, crazy.

Have said that the people who come and rate the course
are made to play the course first.....when they do not score
30 points it makes them look like idiots to say it is easy.
Playing the course would make absolutely no difference to the ratings, which are calculated almost entirely from measurements.

Average scores on any course in Aus should be about 32 points, so scoring fewer than 30 on an unfamiliar course wouldn't be unexpected at all and it certainly wouldn't make anyone look like an idiot.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Fragger didn't have a scoring card dropping out, didn't put in a better score than anything already there....and still went up...
Had he hit the soft cap?
If his lowest index was a year back and it just slipped out of a 12 month window, the soft cap could be removed, resulting in an index increase.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I wish all the rest of the UK would follow Scotland and not round CH until after PH percentage is applied.

I am very interested about the "scaled up 9-hole" calculation change. Looking forward to that one.

Just had a look in the England Golf version of the WHS rules of handicapping and it says, "Otherwise, the full calculated value is retained and rounding occurs only after the Playing Handicap calculation".

i wish we did the American way for 9 holes, adding two together instead of scaling up. At the moment, for my last 20 scores, I've only played 180 holes rather than 360. Seems wrong to me. What's the change going to be?

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Because you played better than your HI. Your average score is shots worse than that. Even of your best 8, 36 points is better than that average. So score 36 points, your handicap will be cut, since you played better than it. So you didnt play TO handicap.
Unless the 20th is a good one and drops off :ROFLMAO:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It lets me count Stableford points and so adds to the competition against myself. I dont win every time.more often I lose. But I do feel good if I beat 36 and count that as a win.
I think I would do a similar thing by looking at whether my score differential is equal to or better than my handicap index.
This is a much more reliable and consistent measure than 36 points.

36 points on a course that has a course rating two or three shots below par is not worthy of a "win" in this respect.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I would do a similar thing by looking at whether my score differential is equal to or better than my handicap index.
This is a much more reliable and consistent measure than 36 points.

36 points on a course that has a course rating two or three shots below par is not worthy of a "win" in this respect.
Why do you always act like it's normal for people to sit and work this out? 😆 Nobody wants to faff about calculating what their score differential was when they can see at a glance how many points they got and decide if it was a good score or not. Simple as that. If you get 36 points you know you played pretty much to handicap and that's good enough for most people.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Why do you always act like it's normal for people to sit and work this out? 😆 Nobody wants to faff about calculating what their score differential was when they can see at a glance how many points they got and decide if it was a good score or not. Simple as that. If you get 36 points you know you played pretty much to handicap and that's good enough for most people.

To be fair, you don't have to work it out...

Input your gross score and its there to see in seconds what your score differential is.

Handicap Index's are based on Score Differential's at the end of the day

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be fair, you don't have to work it out...

Input your gross score and its there to see in seconds what your score differential is.

Handicap Index's are based on Score Differential's at the end of the day
Only if you're entering a card, which invariably a lot of people wouldn't be doing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But you'd still have a score diff regardless. I can still look back at old scores and know a 76 at my place is a 8.2 diff
Not if I'm playing at another course. I'm sure we all know what we consider good/bad on our own courses already, without the need for score diffs anyway.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not if I'm playing at another course. I'm sure we all know what we consider good/bad on our own courses already, without the need for score diffs anyway.

You're getting very specific now :ROFLMAO:

In your case - no, don't bother. If its not going in for handicap then it doesn't matter anyway.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But you'd still have a score diff regardless. I can still look back at old scores and know a 76 at my place is a 8.2 diff
I suspect 99% of golfers have no idea about differential. I'd be lying if I said I look at it, notice it or absorb what it means.

I'm with @Orikoru and I reckon the vast majority of golfers.