Alterations to WHS?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suspect 99% of golfers have no idea about differential. I'd be lying if I said I look at it, notice it or absorb what it means.

I'm with @Orikoru and I reckon the vast majority of golfers.
Yeah, I think if I started talking about score differentials with most of the old boys at my club they'd look at me like I was speaking Chinese.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a look in the England Golf version of the WHS rules of handicapping and it says, "Otherwise, the full calculated value is retained and rounding occurs only after the Playing Handicap calculation".

I think you may be taking it out of context. That clause (6.1b/1) relates to 9 holes.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I suspect 99% of golfers have no idea about differential. I'd be lying if I said I look at it, notice it or absorb what it means.

I'm with @Orikoru and I reckon the vast majority of golfers.

I would have thought most golfers who look on the App to see what their Handicap Index is would have spotted "differentials," next to their gross scores, even if they didn't suss out what they are used for and how they are calculated. We've had pages of chat on here about folk trying to suss what they need to score in order to get a reduction etc.

But of course, that's just my assumption.

But I do agree that the vast majority of golfers don't know or care about most of the WHS chat on here! :)

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah, I think if I started talking about score differentials with most of the old boys at my club they'd look at me like I was speaking Chinese.
Not just old boys...the number of times I ask an over 50 for his CH or PH and he gives me his HI :rolleyes:

If you ask me, the confusion some claim to have around WHS is, for some, a rather confected confusion - as if complaining about WHS is a cool thing to do - it makes them part of the 'opposition' to WHS - and if their buddies all moan about it then they can likewise moan into that anti-WHS echo chamber. Methinks they (deliberately) complain too much.

And when it comes to scoring - just score your gross and let the system work things out. If you want to know your stableford - then fine - go ahead...but in respect of your handicap your stableford score matters not a jot or tittle.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
When someone mentions that they scored a certain number of points in casual play, I am never sure whether they have scored those points according to their playing handicap for individual strokeplay or used a handicap that is one or two shots more than this.
This inconsistency will continue when CR-Par comes in.
If someone mentions their golf score (gross score) to me, I have a much clearer idea of what they have done.

If I can shoot 76 tomorrow, I'll replace a 6.2 with a 4.5 and come down from 4.3 to 4.1. There is no "getting shots" involved in this process.
This would be exactly the same if CR-Par was being used.
Its a medal - no stableford points to think about and I won't be thinking about "getting shots" either.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Not just old boys...the number of times I ask an over 50 for his CH or PH and he gives me his HI :rolleyes:
Because nobody, rightly, carries CH or PH in their heads. We all know our HI ... becuase that is the key to all the other permutations.
HI is still the benchmark, or Handicap of old, this what people enquire about. Nobody wants to hear : well, what course, what competition format, wait a few minutes until I log onto the app or look up the boards and work it out for you..

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Because nobody, rightly, carries CH or PH in their heads. We all know our HI ... becuase that is the key to all the other permutations.
HI is still the benchmark, or Handicap of old, this what people enquire about. Nobody wants to hear : well, what course, what competition format, wait a few minutes until I log onto the app or look up the boards and work it out for you..
This is round my own track with other members. Everyone knows their CH - and hence for the main formats they'll know their PH. If they think that their HI might have changed to the extent that their CH might change they'd check before they are standing by the 1st tee.

Besides - they answer as if they don't know the difference between HI and CH or PH.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
This is round my own track with other members. Everyone knows their CH - and hence for the main formats they'll know their PH. If they think that their HI might have changed to the extent that their CH might change they'd check before they are standing by the 1st tee.

Besides - they answer as if they don't know the difference between HI and CH or PH.
I wouldnt know either CH or PH, ever. But always know my HI to the decimal.
The other two appear on my card if I am playing a competition. If casual golf, we all just use the HI as the shots to get, whether alone or for 2 quid in a 3 or 4 ball.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldnt know either CH or PH, ever. But always know my HI to the decimal.
The other two appear on my card if I am playing a competition. If casual golf, we all just use the HI as the shots to get, whether alone or for 2 quid in a 3 or 4 ball.
If you are a member of a golf club you will (or should) know your CH. It's as easy to know and remember it as it is to know your HI. And as far as using HIs to work out shots...eh? Why? When it is as easy as pie to know your CH and how you'd get correct shots given/received.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Quite ironically, while we were at Hoylake playing the Race To The Open Final on Friday, there were 4 lads from the R and A there... Yet our rounds weren't recorded for the WHS.

I thought we were meant to record pretty much every round according to the powers that be... :ROFLMAO:

To be fair, I'd have been getting a cut, so I'm quite happy it was non qualifying..

wjemather

Visit site
Quite ironically, while we were at Hoylake playing the Race To The Open Final on Friday, there were 4 lads from the R and A there... Yet our rounds weren't recorded for the WHS.

I thought we were meant to record pretty much every round according to the powers that be... :ROFLMAO:

To be fair, I'd have been getting a cut, so I'm quite happy it was non qualifying..
It's the players responsibility to ensure scores from all competition rounds in an acceptable format on a rated course are submitted for handicapping if they are not done so automatically by the organiser.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would have thought most golfers who look on the App to see what their Handicap Index is would have spotted "differentials," next to their gross scores, even if they didn't suss out what they are used for and how they are calculated. We've had pages of chat on here about folk trying to suss what they need to score in order to get a reduction etc.

But of course, that's just my assumption.

But I do agree that the vast majority of golfers don't know or care about most of the WHS chat on here! :)
I think it's one of those white noise things. It's there but people don't register it 🤷‍♂️. We have to remember, us on here are slightly geeky and like to know how things work. Most just want to play and the detail doesn't matter. Regular golfers see and know HI, that's about all.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are a member of a golf club you will (or should) know your CH. It's as easy to know and remember it as it is to know your HI. And as far as using HIs to work out shots...eh? Why? When it is as easy as pie to know your CH and how you'd get correct shots given/received.
Why? I know my HI, I check the board for my CH. It's different off whites and yellows. I'm not going to remember 3 numbers, not and avoid mixing them up 😄.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Just wondering who ran this?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Why? I know my HI, I check the board for my CH. It's different off whites and yellows. I'm not going to remember 3 numbers, not and avoid mixing them up 😄.
Thats 5 numbers even. HI, CH off each tee, PH off each tee. And for anyone whose hc changes by something every 2 or 3 weeks, its just no worth.

For public consumption, your handicap IS your handicap index. Nobody every quotes anything else.
If playing a competition, the computer does the work. If playing alone, or a friendly match or fourball, just use you HI.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Thats 5 numbers even. HI, CH off each tee, PH off each tee. And for anyone whose hc changes by something every 2 or 3 weeks, its just no worth.

For public consumption, your handicap IS your handicap index. Nobody every quotes anything else.
If playing a competition, the computer does the work. If playing alone, or a friendly match or fourball, just use you HI.
... just use your HI to calculate the correct playing handicap for the chosen format of play.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not reading four pages of rammel, but if anyone thinks that WHS is simpler and easier to understand from the old system then my name is Donkey Dong.
A ( old) system was could have been improved has been royally screwed up. It has been changed ( to WHS). We have been informed it is the best thing to have. It has now been fine tuned, now it we are told it is the best thing.
It’s ok talking about this on a golf forum. But we represent about 0.000000000001% of golfers and those I play with do not have a clue what is going off. After this fine tuning they will still not have a clue.
Am sure those at England golf will be patting themselves on the back tonight saying what a wonderful job they are doing.
Come what may the message of changing to WHS and Why the changes is not getting to Joe Average golfers.

Let me give an example.
At our place we now have mixed comps. The course has been measured over Black, white, yellow and red. But for a mixed comp everyone gets extra shots ( up to 3 ). Why? You know what the measured holes are so why give extra shots? Am told there is only England that does this, but not all courses. So how is that WHS standard scoring?
Also I am then informed that the three extra shots you get.3 points are taken off at the end? So why give them in the first place?
Here’s the best bit. If you play off 10 you get three extra shots so hcap is 13. Your three shots come off your total score not what you got on hole 11,12,13.
Now all this is what I picked up off lads who play more comps that’s me. So a lot of what I wrote could be and probably is rammel. But it endorses the fact that 99.999999999999% do not have clue what the bloody hell is going off with WHS.