Alterations to WHS?

Alan Clifford

Visit site
We currently run weekly mixed tee Stablefords, par for men is the same off all tees but not for women - I believe there wouldn’t be an additional PH adjustment (if CR-Par is in place for CH calculation) to compensate for the par difference - or have I got this wrong?
You can see what is required in the South African version of the handicap manual that can be downloaded from here: https://www.handicaps.co.za/handicaps-info/rules-of-handicapping/ rule 6.2b

For stableford formats, there is no adjustment.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…and so the changes to WHS have been in place since 1st Jan…

My Course Handicap off back tees is now 7.8 - given it is not rounded (other than to one DP?). So how do I calculate my individual (95%) stableford PH.

And matchplay…do we difference our ‘exact’ CHs then round to nearest for shots.

Or do I calculate my PH (100% CH rounded). So my singles matchplay PH is 8. Opponent does same and we difference the PHs.

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

My Course Handicap off back tees is now 7.8 - given it is not rounded (other than to one DP?). So how do I calculate my individual (95%) stableford PH.

Or do I calculate my PH (100% CH rounded). So my singles matchplay PH is 8. Opponent does same and we difference the PHs.
Changes take place on April fools day, looks like you've already been caught🤣

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

I think that’s enough for the next day or two. Looking forward to following this.

Attachments

• IMG_1485.jpeg
    IMG_1485.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1

D-S

Visit site

As has been said it’s not in place until 1/4/24. Then your CH will be unrounded e.g. 7.4 and this is the number you will use for calculating the playing allowance to create your playing handicap (not a whole number that is on a board now) so it will be 95% of this number for individual strokeplay. 90% 4BB matchplay, 85% 2 out of 4 etc. etc. You will have to get this number from your ISV, a handicap calculator or a series of tables somewhere at the club as you will need a table per tee per allowance.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Not sure why things have changed as it's not happening until April. Has your course been assessed which may account for changes.

All changes to HC should /will be notified to members when it happens. Not sure why your into all the maths already.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you may have mixed things up a bit. As said, WHS changes don't become effective until 1 April. However the R&A have introduced some new Rules of Golf Clarifications which became effective from the 1January.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Changes take place on April fools day, looks like you've already been caught🤣
Oops…i thought it was April but did a quick scan read of the changes doc the club sent out on Thursday and I picked this up…”WHA have announced the next WHS™ update for the 1 January 2024” and misinterpreted what that meant. Anyway…questions stand.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure why things have changed as it's not happening until April. Has your course been assessed which may account for changes.

All changes to HC should /will be notified to members when it happens. Not sure why your into all the maths already.
As note I misinterpreted a statement in the changes guidance doc the club sent out with its notice of the annual handicap review that I believe the handicap committee has started on.

As far as the %…🤔 Well doing the 5,10 and 15% of my whole number CH (same for fronts and backs) in my head was easy. But of such as my current 7.4 off backs and 6.2 off fronts 🙄

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As note I misinterpreted a statement in the changes guidance doc the club sent out with its notice of the annual handicap review that I believe the handicap committee has started on.

As far as the %…🤔 Well doing the 5,10 and 15% of my whole number CH (same for fronts and backs) in my head was easy. But of such as my current 7.4 off backs and 6.2 off fronts 🙄
We are told that all the ISVs' software and apps will do all the arithmetic for you. It seems EG will make a contribution towards new boards but not sure how that works.

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We are told that all the ISVs' software and apps will do all the arithmetic for you. It seems EG will make a contribution towards new boards but sure how that works.
Boards will be removed from most clubs as soon as they realise the size of board needed to display CH's to one decimal place.

In the past one single line would have said that a handicap index range of example 7.8-8.6 would give you a CH of 9 at my club (slope 124), "now" you would need to display the following...

HI......CH
7.8 = 8.6
7.9 = 8.7
8.0 = 8.8
8.1 = 8.9
8.2 = 9.0
8.3 = 9.1
8.4 = 9.2
8.5 = 9.3
8.6 = 9.4

Boards are going the way of the Dodo.

wjemather

Visit site
Boards may well not be replaced but if they are, they will display rounded integer values, as they do now. That is because their purpose is not for manually calculating Playing Handicaps using machine precision. They are simply a convenience in the absence of the necessary app/software/lookup tables/etc. - a convenience from which Playing Handicaps can be manually calculated from rounded Course Handicaps if necessary.

D-S

Visit site
It looks as if some counties will not be recommending that clubs keep the boards as now i.e. with rounded CH to prevent the confusion from different Playing Handicaps calculated from the boards than from competition (machine precision) calculated ones.
It will be easier to use the ISV calculators, other handicap calculators or a set of printed tables with all the various allowances per tee available in the Pro Shop or Clubhouse.

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Boards may well not be replaced but if they are, they will display rounded integer values, as they do now. That is because their purpose is not for manually calculating Playing Handicaps using machine precision. They are simply a convenience in the absence of the necessary app/software/lookup tables/etc. - a convenience from which Playing Handicaps can be manually calculated from rounded Course Handicaps if necessary.
But "convenient" playing handicaps that in 17% of cases will be wrong.

D-S

Visit site
But "convenient" playing handicaps that in 17% of cases will be wrong.
I agree, if I am playing a match and the Playing Handicap from the ‘convenient’ board says one thing and the tables calculated by ’machine precision’ say another thing then which one is ‘right’? This is an argument/discussion that committees and clubs just don’t want/need to have.
Hence scrap the boards - surprised this isn’t the official recommendatio.