Alterations to WHS?

wjemather

Visit site
I often do things that I don't need to.
Doing crosswords, sudokus etc. Drinking alcohol, playing golf.

But I do things that I like or want to do fairly frequently. Calculating my handicap is likely to be one of these.
Does anyone NEED to stop me?
The recreational activity here is playing golf, not calculating handicaps.

Making things far more complicated than they actually are is unhelpful, however much enjoyment you get from it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A golfer may wear a GPS watch and/or use a laser rangefinder.
He uses this several times during a round. He gets the yardage and converts this to the most likely club to select.
He uses devices and makes calculations several times during a round. This is quite complicated?

But performing some very simple arithmetic for less than one minute before his round starts. OH NO, there's just no need for all that unnecessary fuss and bother.

I find arithmetic recreational - always have - since my first days at infants school.
Helped me join in with card games and Monopoly with my older brothers.

There is far too much concern being expressed here over very simple arithmetic.
We will be introducing a simple addition or subtraction as a result of CR-Par.
Scotland have been using unrounded course handicap since day one.
There is no problem that needs to be fixed.
Deciding to never engage with the arithmetic is an option. Free choice for everyone.
Not engaging is not a solution. It is a choice.

wjemather

Visit site
A golfer may wear a GPS watch and/or use a laser rangefinder.
He uses this several times during a round. He gets the yardage and converts this to the most likely club to select.
He uses devices and makes calculations several times during a round. This is quite complicated?

But performing some very simple arithmetic for less than one minute before his round starts. OH NO, there's just no need for all that unnecessary fuss and bother.

I find arithmetic recreational - always have - since my first days at infants school.
Helped me join in with card games and Monopoly with my older brothers.

There is far too much concern being expressed here over very simple arithmetic.
We will be introducing a simple addition or subtraction as a result of CR-Par.
Scotland have been using unrounded course handicap since day one.
There is no problem that needs to be fixed.
Deciding to never engage with the arithmetic is an option. Free choice for everyone.
Not engaging is not a solution. It is a choice.
One of these is "some very simple arithmetic" that would be reasonable to expect players to be able to perform before playing, the other is not:
  • ((HI x (Slope/113)) + (CR - Par)) x Allowance
  • CH x Allowance

D

Deleted member 29109

One of these is "some very simple arithmetic" that would be reasonable to expect players to be able to perform before playing, the other is not:
  • ((HI x (Slope/113)) + (CR - Par)) x Allowance
  • CH x Allowance
Can’t say I’ve ever had the need or want to do any of that on the first tee.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
4.3 x 1.124

x 0.9

Ready to play a social 4 ball

My god that was hard! Don't ever want to do that again!
What was I thinking?

Very sorry everyone. I'll say no more about it.

Last edited:

Alan Clifford

Visit site
It looks as if some counties will not be recommending that clubs keep the boards as now i.e. with rounded CH to prevent the confusion from different Playing Handicaps calculated from the boards than from competition (machine precision) calculated ones.
It will be easier to use the ISV calculators, other handicap calculators or a set of printed tables with all the various allowances per tee available in the Pro Shop or Clubhouse.
Let's hope all the different machines use the same "machine precision". :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D-S

Visit site
Why wouldn't you simply use the materials and tools that the authorities have already provided?
Because the tables provided by EG take up 4 times as much space as the Grnu9 solution and are unlikely to fit on existing boards which clubs were obliged to buy by EG when WHS was introduced.

If EG had merely provided this style of table at the outset, then they wouldn’t have needed to go into the whole “machine precision‘ versus just using rounded CH for calculation but it’s only acceptable for Social Golf debate.

If Eagle Golf proposed this in their brochure that they sent out to clubs on Friday (on the back of the EG subsidy despite that EG still haven’t informed clubs of it), a lot of clubs would definitely go for it but there is no such thing in their details.

It would also solve the same debate which on the England Golf Volunteer Facebook page which has 2 threads and 70 replies about exactly this subject.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I know what my handicap index is. Right. Nope, wrong.

Using my then handicap index calculated to 1 decimal point, I should have had at the time, an exceptional. But on the South African system, I didn't. Why? It seems that they hold differentials to 4 decimal places and using the best 8 of those came up with a slightly different value to compare to the differential for the game.

It's stuff like this that irritiates. How hard is it to specify what is stored to how many decimal places? At what points in the calculation process does rounding take place? And to how many decimal places each time? it seems it is impossible.

And now we can have two different course and playing handicaps, both of which can be correct. I blame those world class statisticians :ROFLMAO:

wjemather

Visit site
Because the tables provided by EG take up 4 times as much space as the Grnu9 solution and are unlikely to fit on existing boards which clubs were obliged to buy by EG when WHS was introduced.

If EG had merely provided this style of table at the outset, then they wouldn’t have needed to go into the whole “machine precision‘ versus just using rounded CH for calculation but it’s only acceptable for Social Golf debate.

If Eagle Golf proposed this in their brochure that they sent out to clubs on Friday (on the back of the EG subsidy despite that EG still haven’t informed clubs of it), a lot of clubs would definitely go for it but there is no such thing in their details.

It would also solve the same debate which on the England Golf Volunteer Facebook page which has 2 threads and 70 replies about exactly this subject.
There has never been any obligation to purchase boards.

I think you are massively underestimating the size a board would need to be in order to accommodate all relevant allowances. There are also other (better) ways of providing the information in physical form that doesn't require the entire side of a decent sized building.

In any case, electronic solutions are the only means to accommodate all formats of play - and this is what EG are pushing (however, their expectations of the ISVs providing something may be somewhat optimistic).

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Just reading a few of the above posts gave me a headache.
Our Seniors have enough trouble getting their heads around the rules of a yellow ball Bowmaker.
These shenanigans around H/C will send them into meltdown.

D

Deleted member 29109

Will anyone have to work out their playing HC for competitive rounds? It doesn’t appear so.

For social golf. Who cares. Look at your course HC on my England golf and crack on. It’s really not that important.

D-S

Visit site
There has never been any obligation to purchase boards.

I think you are massively underestimating the size a board would need to be in order to accommodate all relevant allowances. There are also other (better) ways of providing the information in physical form that doesn't require the entire side of a decent sized building.

In any case, electronic solutions are the only means to accommodate all formats of play - and this is what EG are pushing (however, their expectations of the ISVs providing something may be somewhat optimistic).
One of the mandatory requirements for clubs/handicap committees was to ‘display course handicap tables’ it was advised by EG that this was best done near the first tee, hence the purchase of boards by nearly every club.
The size of Genu9’s table per tee (48 lines and 5 columns) is only a little larger than the existing tables per tee (37 lines and 4 columns), as found on the WHS portal, which clubs must display and would only require a small font reduction to fit into existing boards. Far better than the confusion that will certainly arise if clubs choose to replace the existing boards with just a rounded 100% calculatio.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Just reading a few of the above posts gave me a headache.
Our Seniors have enough trouble getting their heads around the rules of a yellow ball Bowmaker.
These shenanigans around H/C will send them into meltdown.
I have found that the over 60s are generally more able to engage with arithmetic than the under 40s.
They usually did loads more sums at primary school in their day and it has paid off.

Oh dear, I had promised to say no more.
I must have changed my mind.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have found that the over 60s are generally more able to engage with arithmetic than the under 40s.
They usually did loads more sums at primary school in their day and it has paid off.

Oh dear, I had promised to say no more.
I must have changed my mind.
It was worth it.