Alterations to WHS?

Tractor Wheal

Visit site
Whatever the arguments & merits of WHS & any future amendments, I fear for the future & integrity of our game.
For some, maybe most? Alterations won't make any difference,xthey just go out & play with their mates & don't give a hoot about handicaps.

But, to serious golfers who work hard at their game & try to be the best they can & get as low as possible, I just feel for them.
England Golf are just kicking them in the nuts at every opportunity.
The introduction of the ridiculous 54 H/C pre WHS started the rot.
Then the introduction of the not fit for purpose WHS & now more tinkering that will not do anything to alleviate an already seriously skewed system.
I'm afraid the integrity of the game held so dearly by so many for so many years is gone forever & the blame for that lies squarely at the door of England Golf.
For what it's worth ...
I think England Golf did and is doing a pretty good job on WHS.
The system was created by the USGA & R&A not England Golf.

D

Deleted member 29109

Why and what do you feel for them? they can still work hard, try to be the best they can, and get as low as possible. Their game is unaffected by the 54 handicapper.
Their low number HI goal is still just as valid a goal. Kudos to the scratchman - PCC minutiae, 95% for a competition, CR-Par : all irrelevant to that goal.
Serious golfers 😂 it’s a hobby, get over yourselves.

The WHS does not impact how I play the game or my ability to improve in any way shape or form. Neither does how anyone else plays, or what their handicaps are.

I’ve said it before that there should be a competition maximum handicap, but for casual golf it doesn’t matter.

I’d be more for having a minimum standard of rules knowledge than a maximum handicap.

People are just grumpy because they don’t like change, or they’ve had to figure out new ways to massage their handicaps.

Tractor Wheal

Visit site
Those arent issues for a briefing. Those are all pushing a WHS critical agenda, and are not facts of the matter of WHS, nor

In my comments of Tractor Wheel’s summary I was ignoring items 14-20. They are opinions not facts.
They were all the usual WHS things some golfers want to talk about.
If you have a members briefing on WHS then some will come up (unless of course they don't believe them).

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
In readiness for the members briefing, some things unaffected by CR-Par (unless of course you don't believe them):
14. Higher handicaps will still be advantaged by WHS in matches/competitions.
15. Handicap increases will continue to happen too quickly.
16. The PCC will still be a nonsense.
17. The USGA Course Rating System (tm) will maintain the same flaws.
18. 54 Handicap Indexes, unrestricted Casual Rounds and mandated Handicap Allowances are all still daft.
19. There is no let up on the additional burden caused by WHS on Handicap Secretaries.
20. The WHS will continue to allow for cultural differences in how golf is played around the world as long as you are American.
Your whole post was excellent here, but the summation at the end here is spot on

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
From England Golf today:

The changes included in the 2024 update of the WHS™ Rules of Handicapping & Course Rating™ are:

Rules of Handicapping

• Introduction of Course Rating™ minus PAR (within GB&I)
  • Introduction of acceptable scores from fourball betterball formats (within GB&I)
  • Implementation of Expected Scoring
  • Using Un-rounded Course Handicap™ calculation where computer precision is used

Course Rating™

• Rating of courses of a minimum 1500 yards
  • Standardising Par

D-S

Visit site
From England Golf today:

The changes included in the 2024 update of the WHS™ Rules of Handicapping & Course Rating™ are:

Rules of Handicapping

• Introduction of acceptable scores from fourball betterball formats (within GB&I)
  • Using Un-rounded Course Handicap™ calculation where computer precision is used

Course Rating™

• Standardising Par
Just read through the details, quite interestin. I am sure the scale-up on non complete holes in 4BB will receive a lot of comment, also the standardising of par might end up with some strange short par 5s etc.
Here is a link that may work with some of the details

Swango1980

Visit site
From England Golf today:

Rules of Handicapping

Course Rating™

• Standardising Par
Having read the document, what I've taken away from it is (from a personal perspective):

1. Introduction of CR-Par, fantastic
  2. Acceptable scores from 4BBB is unlikely to apply to me much, it is a format I rarely ever play, or a format our club rarely plays. I play 4BBB a lot in matchplay comps, but matchplay is still not classed as acceptable. I also play 2 best scores out of 4 count in Opens (maybe a dozen or so a year), but this format isn't 4BBB so is still not acceptable
  3. Unrounded Course Handicap, no issue. Though I noticed it said "as digital enhancements are available there is no mandatory requirement for Course Handicap Boards - clubs may choose what is best for them". Interesting

NearHull

Visit site
Only read through the document once so far. It’s good that there is action against 4BB bandits. I think the option for rounding or not, depending on access to ‘ machine calculator’ , will be interesting on the tee for casual games. I’ll need another read of it to better understand how the extrapolation from 9 to 18 hole scores will be worked.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Only read through the document once so far. It’s good that there is action against 4BB bandits. I think the option for rounding or not, depending on access to ‘ machine calculator’ , will be interesting on the tee for casual games. I’ll need another read of it to better understand how the extrapolation from 9 to 18 hole scores will be worked.
That was the bit that was puzzling me.
It seems to me that the scaling-up 9-hole score calculation for an 18-hole score differential may or may not have changed, but it will be done without disclosure of the formula involved.
Like PCC?

Unless I did not read it correctly.

Last edited:

NearHull

Visit site
That was the bit that was puzzling me.
It seems to me that the scaling-up 9-hole score calculation for and 18-hole score differential may or may not have changed, but it will be done without disclosure of the formula involved.
Like PCC?

Unless I did not read it correctly.
I think they do explain the principles of the calculation but I’m going to have to read it through slowly ( I’m certainly not as brain sharp as I once was). The fact that they will be keeping the algorithm a secret with bother some - not me, my brain is nearly full.

D-S

Visit site
I think what will be interesting re 4BB scores is contained in this phrase "the golfer who has scored on the minimum 9 holes will have an upscaling value added for their un-played holes based upon their playing partners score and if the score equates to 36+ points/level par or better it will calculate a Score DifferentialTM and the score will be added to record for handicap purposes".

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
From England Golf today:

Rules of Handicapping

Course Rating™

• Standardising Par
Have you got a link?

Genu9

Visit site

Jump over to 'Ask the Experts' more info.