2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
He can't win the Ryder Cup on his own! Of course he is comfortably our third best player already. It's the ones after the top 6 or 7 we're worried about.
I think we are fine up to 8. Rahm, Rory, Vic, Tyrrell, Rose, Tommy, Lowry, Fitz. They are in the mix with their American equivalents week in week out. They have to play well of course, but they are of the level.
After that is where our next 4 have a shart drop off compared to their bottom 4. So Sraka showing some summer form is good at the right time. Of the US based, Power seems to have dropped away. MacIntyre a lesser but maybe in some for, and they have to go for at least one Euro tour based player. Maybe 2.
But the top 8 will have to play a lot if golf over 3 days to keep Europe i with the chance.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think we are fine up to 8. Rahm, Rory, Vic, Tyrrell, Rose, Tommy, Lowry, Fitz. They are in the mix with their American equivalents week in week out. They have to play well of course, but they are of the level.
After that is where our next 4 have a shart drop off compared to their bottom 4. So Sraka showing some summer form is good at the right time. Of the US based, Power seems to have dropped away. MacIntyre a lesser but maybe in some for, and they have to go for at least one Euro tour based player. Maybe 2.
But the top 8 will have to play a lot if golf over 3 days to keep Europe i with the chance.
Not sure I'd count Rose - he's been in the doldrums for a while and only just crept back up. Jury still out for me. Agree that the other 7 there are solid players.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not sure I'd count Rose - he's been in the doldrums for a while and only just crept back up. Jury still out for me. Agree that the other 7 there are solid players.

Why wouldn’t you count Rose when he is 9th in the standings 🤷‍♂

He was winning on the PGAT this year

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why wouldn’t you count Rose when he is 9th in the standings 🤷‍♂

He was winning on the PGAT this year
I mean count him as someone I'm confident in. For the reasons I just said. I'd say he's on a par with Fowler from the US side - someone who's only just returned to form and we're not sure how sustainable it'll be.

D

Deleted member 15344

I mean count him as someone I'm confident in. For the reasons I just said. I'd say he's on a par with Fowler from the US side - someone who's only just returned to form and we're not sure how sustainable it'll be.

What do you count as “only just returned” ?

He was winning around March April time when he returned to the top 30 in the world

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What do you count as “only just returned” ?

He was winning around March April time when he returned to the top 30 in the world
Within the last year, obviously. Could just be a purple patch.

Having said this, it's not like we have other world class players he'd be keeping out of the side, so I don't begrudge him a spot of course. We were just talking about who I think are the top competitive players for us and who aren't - and he's only borderline.

Swango1980

Visit site
How many players can you say you are confident in? Even for the likes of McIlroy, Rahm and Hovland, they can all easily lose. Because they are up against US players that people could say they have confidence in. They can't all win against each other.

I'd have confidence in Rose, insofar as putting up a good battle and having the ammunition to give himself that chance to win. He's ultimately finished 34th in the FedEx, which is no mean feat, even though he'll be disappointed not to get in Top 30. So, there is some form there, and coupled with his experience, I'm sure it would give the European Team a huge boost to have him. I suspect he'd be a good partner to have, steady head who doesn't make his partner feel under stress. Maybe a nice partner for Hatton?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many players can you say you are confident in? Even for the likes of McIlroy, Rahm and Hovland, they can all easily lose. Because they are up against US players that people could say they have confidence in. They can't all win against each other.

I'd have confidence in Rose, insofar as putting up a good battle and having the ammunition to give himself that chance to win. He's ultimately finished 34th in the FedEx, which is no mean feat, even though he'll be disappointed not to get in Top 30. So, there is some form there, and coupled with his experience, I'm sure it would give the European Team a huge boost to have him. I suspect he'd be a good partner to have, steady head who doesn't make his partner feel under stress. Maybe a nice partner for Hatton?
We're going round in circles, the conversation started with me saying which players I was confident in. 😂

Rose does have experience so I guess that's a plus over some.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Brooks drops out of the automatic Ryder cup spots. Does he get picked?

Yes on form/ability but probably no on team cohesion etc. will be interesting to see which way they go
Ironically his form has dropped in synch with little nipper arriving (probably understandably). Zach may not know this as he hasn't been watching 😉 Does have the ability to turn that around.
Not sure team cohesion would really be more of an issue than some others in the mix TBH

D

Deleted member 29109

I hope Zach does not pick Brooks because then it shows what they think about the Ryder Cup..... shame really.
Brooks was playing great until just after the PGA. It will be interesting to see what his form is like over next few weeks to see if he deserves being picked. 🤔

D

Deleted member 15344

The PGAT and ET they hate LIV so do not want their players to be involved, even though they are more then qualified.
The PGAT don’t run the RC - they don’t have much involvement in it

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
What qualifications does a player need to be involved in the RC?
Member of PGA or ET, have qualified according to the laid out rankings or be picked by their captains, and have demonstrated that they are a decent human being with some moral compass.

Status
Not open for further replies.