2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Is Fowler lumbering his caddie with his water bottle now ? Could he not just carry it himself ? There is only so much you can expect a caddy to do. Lazy.

Jason.H

Visit site
Frustrating watching Fleetwood and Mcilroy miss so many good chances with the putter. It has to be a green reading issue. If you can’t see the subtle slopes get a caddie that can feel it with his feet.

D

Deleted member 29109

Frustrating watching Fleetwood and Mcilroy miss so many good chances with the putter. It has to be a green reading issue. If you can’t see the subtle slopes get a caddie that can feel it with his feet.
Or feel it with your own feet 🤷🏼‍♂️

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I always thought that that was Lee Westwood's problem and the main reason that he never won a major. Some of the putts he hit at times were ridiculously bad, too bad to just be technique.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Problem with that is if you are still missing putts it erodes your trust in the caddy.

Golfers of this quality really should be able to read a green and execute a putt.

Coms had it right last night.
if you keep missing you tend to lag everything then the slope has more effect.
The really good putters are not scared by four foot back.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tommy was 2nd in SG putting last week.
So did he leave his green reading glasses in Memphis? Probably not. Perception of putting and understanding the chances of making any particular putt are (checks thesaurus) not great on Internet forums.

Now Scotty Scheffler, there's a bloke with a real live problem. Lucas Glover should be coming up on his speed dial every day.

Swango1980

Visit site
Problem with that is if you are still missing putts it erodes your trust in the caddy.

Golfers of this quality really should be able to read a green and execute a putt.

Coms had it right last night.
if you keep missing you tend to lag everything then the slope has more effect.
The really good putters are not scared by four foot back.
They can all read and hit a putt. If any of those professionals played with you in your medal, you'd be impressed just how good they all are.

However, when we watch them it is all relative to each other. McIlroy is simply not one of the better putters on tour, whereas I guess someone like Scheffler is fantastic. If there is a difference of 2-3 putt difference per round between the very best and those not quite on it, that is a big gap over 4 rounds.

It is why marginal gains can make a huge difference. And why McIlroy MAY gain a bit of a boost if he had a caddie who could read the greens just a touch better than he can. I never think he is technically poor at putting, just doesn't quite hit the right lines.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
. McIlroy is simply not one of the better putters on tour, whereas I guess someone like Scheffler is fantastic.

Eh?! I dont know the exact stats but whenever I've watched him this year I think Scheffler would win most events at a canter if he was a few putts better a round. Its comfortably the weakest part of his game as tee to green he's phenomenal.

wjemather

Visit site
They can all read and hit a putt. If any of those professionals played with you in your medal, you'd be impressed just how good they all are.

However, when we watch them it is all relative to each other. McIlroy is simply not one of the better putters on tour, whereas I guess someone like Scheffler is fantastic. If there is a difference of 2-3 putt difference per round between the very best and those not quite on it, that is a big gap over 4 rounds.

It is why marginal gains can make a huge difference. And why McIlroy MAY gain a bit of a boost if he had a caddie who could read the greens just a touch better than he can. I never think he is technically poor at putting, just doesn't quite hit the right lines.
You'd guess wrong. The stats also don't support McIlroy being a bad putter.
https://datagolf.com/skill-ratings
PGAT Total Putting: https://www.pgatour.com/stats/detail/02428 (McIlroy 44th, Scheffler 128th)

Swango1980

Visit site
Eh?! I dont know the exact stats but whenever I've watched him this year I think Scheffler would win most events at a canter if he was a few putts better a round. Its comfortably the weakest part of his game as tee to green he's phenomenal.
Apologies, yes. Not watched a lot of golf this year. I think he must have been better a while ago, but yes, I do recall now his putting had gone off the boil.

I guess that what has caused him to slip down the leaderboards a bit

D

Deleted member 29109

Apologies, yes. Not watched a lot of golf this year. I think he must have been better a while ago, but yes, I do recall now his putting had gone off the boil.

Scheffler has been one of the worst putters this year. Even if he was top 50 in putting we would be look at a prime Tiger like season.

wjemather

Visit site

Scheffler's season rankings for total putting on the PGA Tour: 114th (2022-23), 101st (2021-22), 120th (2020-21), 128th (2019-20).

D

Deleted member 27823

One thing I like about the smaller fields in these comps is you get a better feel for how many putts these guys miss. Loads of missed chances that would be lost in the coverage of a full field event.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I’d imagine Cam Smith will be one of the best putters in the game. Without checking his stats, he’s usually pretty deadly with the putter.

Edit:

Yeah, he's miles ahead of everybody else,

Putting Stats.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.