2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Shot of the day for me was his no sparks wood off the path.
Yesterday was probably the driver off the deck on route to a birdie which seemed to change momentum after early struggles Mickleson was keeping pace with Smith most of the way, but a good finish moved Smith away, putting well again.

Budds

Banned
Visit site
Anyone know what putter Rory is using?
Looks like a Scotty Cameron Phanthom 5 or 5.5 circle T .
These are not your run of the mill Scotty.
They are a bit expensive but he’s got it.
It’s prob custom made.
GolfWRX is THE source for this info, as they have access to every PGAT tournament. And it is iindeed an SC Phantom 5.5 Circle T.
IMG_6837.jpeg.527a587709f2e27cf6ae4d3a26908280.jpeg
IMG_6838.jpeg

Visit site
So, is Cam Smith the best golfer in the world at this moment? It certainly looks like it to me.

I’d say not, given that he finished T33 at the Open and there is a chap on the PGA tour whose worst finish in 17 events is T23.

1 (or 4) events doesn’t give much of a sample size but if you’re a LIV player, to be in the debate for best in the world, for me you’ve got to be winning majors.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I’d say not, given that he finished T33 at the Open and there is a chap on the PGA tour whose worst finish in 17 events is T23.

1 (or 4) events doesn’t give much of a sample size but if you’re a LIV player, to be in the debate for best in the world, for me you’ve got to be winning majors.
Totally subjective but I'm just going by what I'm seeing. His golf is other worldly.

I'm watching both events at the same time, plus Barcelona v Getafe. I don't know how Getafe are getting away with all that off the ball stuff, the ref must be an idiot.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Great form. Has that given Zach a potential headache?
It's what the Captain's picks are there for...
Although the current top 12 is a pretty solid team and that's without JT in it.
If Glover has another decent finish before the end of qualification he could get the nod over Bradley or Burns
Good finishes by Homa, Shauffelle and Spieth could see Koepka drop out of the automatic 6 and then Johnson has an even tricker job..

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Away from Chicago, DPWT returns & is in NI.
Laurie Canter is also back playing on the DPWT, having paid his fines or whatever. Did pretty decent at The Open but might suffer a bit after playing 3 weeks on the spin and travelling.
There's also golf in England at Close House. Interestingly the OWGR has it with very slightly stronger field than the ISPS.

Budds

Banned
Visit site
Away from Chicago, DPWT returns & is in NI.
Laurie Canter is also back playing on the DPWT, having paid his fines or whatever. Did pretty decent at The Open but might suffer a bit after playing 3 weeks on the spin and travelling.
There's also golf in England at Close House. Interestingly the OWGR has it with very slightly stronger field than the ISPS.
I believe that 'anomaly' is because the top DPWT players are at the BMW. It would only take 1 or 2 of them to play in Ireland to reverse the ranking of ISPS Handa and the International SoF positions. It's also why there's actually more 'danger' for DPWT from the PGAT than from LIV, to the extent that DPWT simply becomes a feeder tour for the PGAT. And the effect of LIV players not earning points is still relatively low, but is increasing and has begun to be greater since the anniversary of LIV.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
DP as a feeder to PGAT is its future. That roles is a benefit, not a threat, and needs to be embraced and developed rather than a one sided contest.

wjemather

Visit site
I believe that 'anomaly' is because the top DPWT players are at the BMW. It would only take 1 or 2 of them to play in Ireland to reverse the ranking of ISPS Handa and the International SoF positions. It's also why there's actually more 'danger' for DPWT from the PGAT than from LIV, to the extent that DPWT simply becomes a feeder tour for the PGAT. And the effect of LIV players not earning points is still relatively low, but is increasing and has begun to be greater since the anniversary of LIV.
It's not an anomaly, or anything to do with the BMW. Top players - even players in contention for an automatic Ryder Cup place (Meronk, Højgaard, Paul, etc.) - would rather have another week off than play in these events.

More concerning is that the KFT has more points on offer than the DPWT - something that looks like becoming a routine occurrence.

And the DPWT already is a feeder tour.

CountLippe

Visit site
This simply isn't true. Almost all top ET players who joined the PGAT used to play a split schedule, treating the tours relatively evenly. The change in leadership in 2015 changed all that.
The sheer number of Euro's playing the PGA tour has increased. From what I've read / heard, prior to Woodsie, week in week out the money on the PGA tour wasn't siginificantly higher.

wjemather

Visit site
The sheer number of Euro's playing the PGA tour has increased. From what I've read / heard, prior to Woodsie, week in week out the money on the PGA tour wasn't siginificantly higher.
European Tour leadership used to work hard on raising the tour's profile, defending it's position, growing it's influence, and increasing sponsorship. Then it all changed. In less than a decade, the ET (that was) has been reduced to little more than a 5 tournament Rolex Series filled out with beefed up Challenge Tour events.

Status
Not open for further replies.