2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Yes, in terms of not knowing the tree his ball is in.

Probably not, in terms of saying you've positively identified your ball. Presumably professionals have their golf balls marked in unique ways. If it wasn't his, why would he say it is?

Because it was marked as he marks his, the rules official agreed with him, so the ball is 'identified'. That's the end of it. Reed wouldn't know which tree his ball went in no more than Rory would have know where his ball went in that hazard.

(Palm trees are a pain in the arse as well, the worse possible thing to have on a golf course)

Swango1980

Visit site
Because it was marked as he marks his, the rules official agreed with him, so the ball is 'identified'. That's the end of it. Reed wouldn't know which tree his ball went in no more than Rory would have know where his ball went in that hazard.

(Palm trees are a pain in the arse as well, the worse possible thing to have on a golf course)
It isn't that the rules official agreed with him, it is simply that he had no choice but to take his word for it. There is a difference.

It just seems odd that Reed says he has found his ball, with his marking, when they seemed to be discussing that the cameras showed it was almost certainly not his ball.

As I said, wasn't watching it. Hence why I was asking anyone that had been.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, in terms of not knowing the tree his ball is in.

Probably not, in terms of saying you've positively identified your ball. Presumably professionals have their golf balls marked in unique ways. If it wasn't his, why would he say it is?

His penalty drop was much more advantageous than going back to the tee...

It was all a bit fishy for me and I'd be less than confident that he genuinely 100% identified the ball as his.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Some players get a bit more of a pass than others, see one Mr T Woods and the one tonne moveable object that was so moveable it took 8 people to do it. And the golfing world gave him a pass, wonder why?
Because there is nothing in the rules from preventing him doing that. The incorrect drop in The Masters is another subject, though that was discussed endlessley at the time.

Swango1980

Visit site
I suppose it depends on how one defines the word "loose" and the phrase "reasonable effort".
Indeed. The boulder must have been loose, for them to move it at all. And, if several spectators were only to happy to move it, and they could do it reasonably well, I guess that is OK. Presumably the rule doesn't define "reasonable effort" for an individual person.

A pro, certainly Tiger, would have the advantage there are many spectators there to help. Unlike us playing in a medal. But, I guess they have other advantages, more people to spot their ball, look for their ball, and things like line of sight drops due to course infrastructure.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Was Rory cheating the other day?

Reed get's a bad rap, probably deservedly, but seems like Rory was dropping in the wrong place here.

On the face of it, it doesn't look a correct drop, but without seeing where the ball landed in the water it was difficult from that video to see the trajectory. We also don't see what advice he got from either marshalls or the referee.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I think we still need to consider golf a game of integrity. we give players the benefit of the doubt if the place they thought a ball crossed a hazard looks a bit off with multiple replays they don’t have the benefit of. We accept they have made a best estimate and an honest mistake.

Similarly we have to accept that reed believed he could identify his ball in that tree. Even though with the benefit of tv replays we know it was in a different tree.

Maybe the random ball in the tree identified as reeds ball

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They need to add the word 'clearly' to the ruling.

It's not the first time players have used binoculars and cameras to identify balls in trees.

This time we have a player literally barking up the wrong tree and identify his ball.

Swango1980

Visit site
They need to add the word 'clearly' to the ruling.

It's not the first time players have used binoculars and cameras to identify balls in trees.

This time we have a player literally barking up the wrong tree and identify his ball.
I seem to remember someone like Sergio had to climb a tree to identify it, as just seeing it and the logo from afar was not deemed good enough by refs at the time.

There was another time a player had to declare ball lost, even though they saw a similar ball in tree. They couldn't climb it and couldn't positively identify it

So, seems odd Reed could identify a unique logo on the ball in the tree, when everyone said it went in a different tree. Just spotting the brand would seem insufficient? After all, how many different brands to pros play? Can't imagine there are too many Pinnacles, Top Flights or Donnays. If you see a ball in a tree, decent odds it'll be a Titelist, Callaway, Taylormade or maybe 1 or 2 others.

Status
Not open for further replies.