2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Also a lovely fall-back when you bugger everything up. It wasn't my fault - God did it.
Not sure you mean that tongue in cheek or not, but whatever ones views on religion, I think it is a genuine strength for a sports person to have that mentality. Atheists carry the burden of knowing its all their fault !

Swango1980

Visit site
Not sure you mean that tongue in cheek or not, but whatever ones views on religion, I think it is a genuine strength for a sports person to have that mentality. Atheists carry the burden of knowing its all their fault !
True. But atheists also have the gift to know when things go well, it is all down to their own hard work and ability :)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
True. But atheists also have the gift to know when things go well, it is all down to their own hard work and ability :)
I think the believers claim the credit for things going well too. God has fairly rewarded their hard work. Its a win win.
Seriously though, I think it does give them a mental fortitude benefit.

D

Deleted member 1147

But on here
He won't have choked, or Bottled it

Instead, he will be deemed to just not played his best

He's thrown away so many winning opportunities, it's unbelievable
I’m not interested in a debate about choking, but do you think Rory was actually playing his best golf for the first 3 rounds?

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe keep the religious stuff to another thread

Anyway - saw Rory was just behind the leader , fell asleep and saw he ended up a couple back , can see this his game just isn’t there at the moment , every now and then he has bursts of great golf .

No surprise to see the standard bottler remarks from the normal

Great win for Hovland though

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I’m not interested in a debate about choking, but do you think Rory was actually playing his best golf for the first 3 rounds?
Not at all. Round three he was a cliche of himself, with beautiful drives and poor short approaches. And seems to have a mental block about it. Post round interview, he was on about how he wanted to put the ball in the fairway, and had done that. That wasnt the issue...again.

Springveldt

Visit site
But on here
He won't have choked, or Bottled it

Instead, he will be deemed to just not played his best

He's thrown away so many winning opportunities, it's unbelievable
Personally I think he's thrown a lot of them away because he isn't playing great golf and at some point over 4 rounds it catches up to him. The one I thought he was playing well and would win was The Open last year but when Cam Smith holes about 900 feet of putts and all yours burn the edge there is not much you can do. I said to my bro in law yesterday before it started that I thought -8 would probably win it and Rory won't win it because his poor play is going to catch up to him eventually on that setup.

The PGA was the same, he didn't play great but managed to hang around somehow.

With that said there might be something going on between his ears with his wedges and putting. How one of the best ball strikers can't control a 110 yard wedge shot is mind blowing to me. If you give him 3 goes you could get a 109, 98 and 120, I'd expect that from me, not from him.

AussieKB

Visit site
Personally I think he's thrown a lot of them away because he isn't playing great golf and at some point over 4 rounds it catches up to him. The one I thought he was playing well and would win was The Open last year but when Cam Smith holes about 900 feet of putts and all yours burn the edge there is not much you can do. I said to my bro in law yesterday before it started that I thought -8 would probably win it and Rory won't win it because his poor play is going to catch up to him eventually on that setup.

The PGA was the same, he didn't play great but managed to hang around somehow.

With that said there might be something going on between his ears with his wedges and putting. How one of the best ball strikers can't control a 110 yard wedge shot is mind blowing to me. If you give him 3 goes you could get a 109, 98 and 120, I'd expect that from me, not from him.
People forget Rory did not come second but third at the Open.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Hovland just continues to be great.

Ranked 5 in the World and made 9.4m USD this season so far...

Today he is Caddying for his old college team mate over 36 holes as he attempts to qualify for the US Open.

He won the Memorial tournament less than 15 hours ago....

WHAT A GUY

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hovland just continues to be great.

Ranked 5 in the World and made 9.4m USD this season so far...

Today he is Caddying for his old college team mate over 36 holes as he attempts to qualify for the US Open.

He won the Memorial tournament less than 15 hours ago....

WHAT A GUY
What a great story. He seems to stutter a bit in the majors but he's still so young and you know he's going to get over it soon and win one. He's too good. Funny swing too, almost looks like an over-the-top move, but it works - I do love a pro with an unusual swing. (y)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
What a great story. He seems to stutter a bit in the majors but he's still so young and you know he's going to get over it soon and win one. He's too good. Funny swing too, almost looks like an over-the-top move, but it works - I do love a pro with an unusual swing. (y)

It’s funny re his swing, many teaching pros try and teach you the perfect swing yet how many tour pros do you see with textbook swings 🤣
Love to see Hovland win a major 👌

Status
Not open for further replies.