2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the opposite actually - on form, which is patchy, there's very few that can do that. It punishes him and the others with that capability, but doesn't impact those who excel at putting or pitching / chipping. As said above, no one else got anywhere near that (85ft away)... just phenomenal. His opponent yesterday (as Sky went to pains to tell us!) is supposedly the best putter around and had a really good lead and used other aspects of his game (which he excels at) to cancel out Rorys bombs. I think it's bonkers that we want to discourage the possibility of that shot by so few players - I mean what would the PGAT put out on their social media account!!??

On driveable par 4s they will just push the tee forward 15yards.
The shortened ball will just make longer par 4s play longer and require more mid and long irons which they haven't done for pros in years.

Dustin johnson was quoted a couple of years ago saying he hit nothing longer than a 7 iron into any par 4 all year. That's not testing pros and a world away from the game we play.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
On driveable par 4s they will just push the tee forward 15yards.
The shortened ball will just make longer par 4s play longer and require more mid and long irons which they haven't done for pros in years.

Dustin johnson was quoted a couple of years ago saying he hit nothing longer than a 7 iron into any par 4 all year. That's not testing pros and a world away from the game we play.

But these guys are elite golfers, they should not be playing the same game that amateurs play.
And by the way, most ams are hitting hybrids now instead of ling irons…

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But these guys are elite golfers, they should not be playing the same game that amateurs play.
And by the way, most ams are hitting hybrids now instead of ling irons…

Let me rephrase it. The pros don't face a test through the bag as much as amateur golfers.

I would like to see them hit more equitable clubs into greens. The only way to do that is to make courses really really long or wind back the ball.

A 15 yard loss off the driver isn't a lot but it's a start.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Do Pros practice this putter juggle when they miss a putt..?
I know for sure that if I tried it I'd miss and leave a dirty great dent in the green...

D

Deleted member 1147

He’d still have been on the front of the green with the new ball.

But his playing partner would be even further back 😉
Actually it wouldn’t have affected his PP as much. It mainly affects swing speeds of over 115mph.

D

Deleted member 15344

Heck of a 360 by Rory there - he seems to be putting a lot better at the moment

That’s him through to the next round

Lucky break on 12 but been superb so far

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

Rahm stuffed by Horschel

Certainly been some big players go out

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Cracking match between Rory and Hurburt.

But why did Hurburt hit an iron off the last tee? Odd decision when you need to win the hole. Then to not even hit the fairway 🤦‍♂️

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Cracking match between Rory and Hurburt.

But why did Hurburt hit an iron off the last tee? Odd decision when you need to win the hole. Then to not even hit the fairway 🤦‍♂️
I thought the same, best way to win the hole is to use Driver and try get as close as possible to the green, that then forces Rory to hit Driver (Which he did anyway), and hope he pulls and blocks it into trouble, fair play to both players , Rory was round in 9 under and the match went to the last hole

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at the 17th. Just how many Pro vs are in the woods to the left of the green. There must be hundreds of ‘em down there.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Looking at the 17th. Just how many Pro vs are in the woods to the left of the green. There must be hundreds of ‘em down there.
I'd love to be down there somewhere on the left.

Unfortunately I'd be killing one of the spectators somewhere way right......no mater how hard I try to go left:whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.