2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Similar. Do you think we are in the minority, or just wider "golf politics" at play for next year/future?
I would imagine that it is hard not to like that course, so that makes it golf politics.

I don't actually know what will happen to the WGC's following the introduction of the PGA Tour's new elevated events. The way they were talking about the WGC Matchplay is that not only is it the last year of Austin CC but the last year of Matchplay on the Tour. So does that mean one or all of the WGCs are disappearing and if so what is the rationale behind it?

I know the WGCs are not solely the property of the PGA Tour but over the years they seemed to have become more so and maybe these are limited field events that they don't want getting in the way of their limited field events?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I would imagine that it is hard not to like that course, so that makes it golf politics.

I don't actually know what will happen to the WGC's following the introduction of the PGA Tour's new elevated events. The way they were talking about the WGC Matchplay is that not only is it the last year of Austin CC but the last year of Matchplay on the Tour. So does that mean one or all of the WGCs are disappearing and if so what is the rationale behind it?

I know the WGCs are not solely the property of the PGA Tour but over the years they seemed to have become more so and maybe these are limited field events that they don't want getting in the way of their limited field events?
Believe they are gone...
https://golf.com/news/last-wgc-eulogy/

More opinion now - believe they were always "run" by the PGAT and originally a vehicle to try to discourage competition. So I suppose surplus to requirements now.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think it's just that the players (who now effectively run the show) and the TV (who pay for it) don't like match play that much.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Believe they are gone...
https://golf.com/news/last-wgc-eulogy/

More opinion now - believe they were always "run" by the PGAT and originally a vehicle to try to discourage competition. So I suppose surplus to requirements now.
I've stayed well away from the LIV thread, and will continue to do so, but reading that article from Golf.com I believe that the only solution to total domination of world golf by the PGA Tour would be for LIV to drop the stupid formats, go full field, full 72 holes and join forces with the other tours around the world in forming a genuine world tour. As it stands the European Tour is suffering a slow lingering death.

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
The European Tour should be just that. The PGA Tour should do what they have done excellently since before I was born. If LIV want any credibility, they need to move away from the Saudi funding, structure tournaments over 72 holes, & accept they will be a "has been" tour, unless they are willing to become a proper World Tour, with those responsibilities. This isn't about Greg Norman.

I've stayed well away from the LIV thread, and will continue to do so, but reading that article from Golf.com I believe that the only solution to total domination of world golf by the PGA Tour would be for LIV to drop the stupid formats, go full field, full 72 holes and join forces with the other tours around the world in forming a genuine world tour. As it stands the European Tour is suffering a slow lingering death.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
The European Tour should be just that. The PGA Tour should do what they have done excellently since before I was born. If LIV want any credibility, they need to move away from the Saudi funding, structure tournaments over 72 holes, & accept they will be a "has been" tour, unless they are willing to become a proper World Tour, with those responsibilities. This isn't about Greg Norman.

Why do they need to move away from Saudi funding, what’s that got to do with anything?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
What's mad is, Rory backed the ball change that would stop that shot being pulled off.. Maybe he will re-think!

He’d still have been on the front of the green with the new ball.

But his playing partner would be even further back 😉

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Is that Rory proving that, maybe, the ball does need to be rolled back a touch..?

I think the opposite actually - on form, which is patchy, there's very few that can do that. It punishes him and the others with that capability, but doesn't impact those who excel at putting or pitching / chipping. As said above, no one else got anywhere near that (85ft away)... just phenomenal. His opponent yesterday (as Sky went to pains to tell us!) is supposedly the best putter around and had a really good lead and used other aspects of his game (which he excels at) to cancel out Rorys bombs. I think it's bonkers that we want to discourage the possibility of that shot by so few players - I mean what would the PGAT put out on their social media account!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.