YouTubers.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not a hour ago I started watching a YouTube golf video that had popped up on my feed, done by a Scottish pro who I donā€™t know but has been doing his channel for some years nowā€¦seems a decent guy and it looked interesting.

But not two minutes into it he stated ā€œIā€™m going to show you how to get your trail forearm on plane - to hit a lot of straight golf shots with compression - isolating my right handā€¦ā€ and so on.

Really? What on earth? You see this is the sort of stuff that I think must totally screw up so many golfers looking for the answer, the golden keyā€¦but whatā€™s this got to do with hitting a golf ball šŸ¤”

Golf is a simple game - we aim to hit a ball to make it do what we want it to doā€¦and conceptually that is a simple as learning to hit a nail on the head to drive it sweetly into the wood. And thatā€™s it.

And so I instantly switched it off. There may have been other good stuff in his video but I just donā€™t want this sort of ā€˜golf swing mechanicsā€™ anywhere near my thinking. No wonder beginners (never mind more experienced players) get their thinking and their golf messed up by YouTubers.

Thing isā€¦he is just one amongst so many doing just the same. My advice? Avoid like the plague and go to a pro.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not a hour ago I started watching a YouTube golf video that had popped up on my feed, done by a Scottish pro who I donā€™t know but has been doing his channel for some years nowā€¦seems a decent guy and it looked interesting.

But not two minutes into it he stated ā€œIā€™m going to show you how to get your trail forearm on plane - to hit a lot of straight golf shots with compression - isolating my right handā€¦ā€ and so on.

Really? What on earth? You see this is the sort of stuff that I think must totally screw up so many golfers looking for the answer, the golden keyā€¦but whatā€™s this got to do with hitting a golf ball šŸ¤”

Golf is a simple game - we aim to hit a ball to make it do what we want it to doā€¦and conceptually that is a simple as learning to hit a nail on the hit to drive it sweetly into the wood. And thatā€™s it.

And so I instantly switched it off. There may have been other good stuff in his video but I just donā€™t want this sort of ā€˜golf swing mechanicsā€™ anywhere near my thinking. No wonder beginners (never mind more experienced players) get their thinking and their golf messed up by YouTubers.

Thing isā€¦he is just one amongst so many doing just the same. My advice? Avoid like the plague and go to a pro.
Can they not put in plain English, that if you just get your sequence activators on the right force vector while pronating the oblique adductor and maintain the positive velocity component (ignoring aerodynamic drag), the centripetal force reaction will exponentially augment the tangential angular acceleration above 23 radians/s2, and a perfect swing will be executed ? Some pros really overcomplicate the simple.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
BDC's latest challenge was a fun watch (about 20 mins)
Playing with Walmart junior clubs

Made me think about the 'importance' of fitting šŸ˜
That WAS a fun watch - thanks.

Made me think about the 'importance' of being awesome at golf! :D

As well as the fitting thing too. ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Golf is a simple game - we aim to hit a ball to make it do what we want it to doā€¦and conceptually that is a simple as learning to hit a nail on the head to drive it sweetly into the wood. And thatā€™s it.

Was that Steve Johnstone in a on course video? Not the ideal environment for showing that sort of change imo but check out his Eureka Golf Swing (if it indeed was his video you were watching)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Was that Steve Johnstone in a on course video? Not the ideal environment for showing that sort of change imo but check out his Eureka Golf Swing (if it indeed was his video you were watching)
It wasā€¦watched a recent one and he was very down on himself and slow growth in subscribers to his channelā€¦especially in comparison with Shielsā€¦šŸ™„. I enjoyed the first one I watched and subscribedā€¦but I just donā€™t get too much talk about the precise mechanics of the golf swing. Completely turns me off. I am trying to hit a ball to get it to do what I want and I frankly donā€™t care much about the detail of the mechanics of the swing I end up with that accomplishes that. Go Mo (Norman) I say.šŸ˜„

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It wasā€¦watched a recent one and he was very down on himself and slow growth in subscribers to his channelā€¦especially in comparison with Shielsā€¦šŸ™„. I enjoyed the first one I watched and subscribedā€¦but I just donā€™t get too much talk about the precise mechanics of the golf swing. Completely turns me off. I am trying to hit a ball to get it to do what I want and I frankly donā€™t care much about the detail of the mechanics of the swing I end up with that accomplishes that. Go Mo (Norman) I say.šŸ˜„
As I said, not the right environment for talking and demonstrating that move, although if discussed in isolation with demonstrations and a simpler explanation would be easier to understand. It is a move that seems en vogue at the moment as I know the likes of Danny Maude have done videos on it. As I've said in the I played today thread I've started using the Eureka method he advocates and seem some radical results and less back pain. I think the previous video was more to do with vagaries of youtube algorithms than anything else. I think he's struggling to put two videos a week out and is struggling that they are getting reasonable (for a channel of his size) to get views etc. I think it it impossible to compare anyone with Shiels who has taken it to a much higher level and not sure in an already saturated market what others can really do differently to get themselves a bigger slice.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

The difficulty in being a coaching channel is:
1 - Finding new things to say once you've covered the basics
2 - YouTube likes at least a 10 minute video to populate with adverts.

To meet these two YouTube requirements means they have to come up with weirder and more in-depth new ideas and spend 10 minutes explaining it when they could probably do it in 2 minutes or less.

And for any channel to grow big these days in the saturated YouTube golf world, it needs sponsors who will get leverage with YouTube and push it on your behalf.

Springveldt

Visit site
As I said, not the right environment for talking and demonstrating that move, although if discussed in isolation with demonstrations and a simpler explanation would be easier to understand. It is a move that seems en vogue at the moment as I know the likes of Danny Maude have done videos on it. As I've said in the I played today thread I've started using the Eureka method he advocates and seem some radical results and less back pain. I think the previous video was more to do with vagaries of youtube algorithms than anything else. I think he's struggling to put two videos a week out and is struggling that they are getting reasonable (for a channel of his size) to get views etc. I think it it impossible to compare anyone with Shiels who has taken it to a much higher level and not sure in an already saturated market what others can really do differently to get themselves a bigger slice.
Yeah Shiels cracked the US market, that's why he blew up.

The Danny Maude rise in subscribers really surprised me but I suspect he's got loads of subscribers from all his Facebook shorts as I had never heard of him 2 or 3 years ago (and I watch a lot of YouTube golf) as he had never been recommended to me by the YouTube algo but he kept appearing in my Facebook feed so I ended up at his YouTube channel. I'm still surprised when I see his subscriber count now, he must be getting a lot of US followers as well.

Springveldt

Visit site
The difficulty in being a coaching channel is:
1 - Finding new things to say once you've covered the basics
2 - YouTube likes at least a 10 minute video to populate with adverts.

To meet these two YouTube requirements means they have to come up with weirder and more in-depth new ideas and spend 10 minutes explaining it when they could probably do it in 2 minutes or less.

And for any channel to grow big these days in the saturated YouTube golf world, it needs sponsors who will get leverage with YouTube and push it on your behalf.
YouTube is verging on unwatchable on the Amazon Firestick with all the adverts. You get a 30 second pre-roll which you might or might not be able to skip, then you get an advert between 1-2 minutes in that you can usually skip after 5 seconds, then you get another one between 4-5 minutes that might or might not be skippable but if you can skip then it's usually 15 seconds.

The worst one is you get the unskippable pre-roll then you fast forward the video to about 8 minutes or so and it instantly plays another advert. At that point I just close the app.

Mostly watch on the PC now with uBlock Origin to block most of the crap but now they have ruined the UI with comments off to the side and huge thumbnails of unlimited scroll (probably trying to imitate Tik Tok) which thankfully a uBlock filter has managed to reset mostly back to the old style of comments under the video.

I'm really beginning to hate YouTube.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah Shiels cracked the US market, that's why he blew up.

The Danny Maude rise in subscribers really surprised me but I suspect he's got loads of subscribers from all his Facebook shorts as I had never heard of him 2 or 3 years ago (and I watch a lot of YouTube golf) as he had never been recommended to me by the YouTube algo but he kept appearing in my Facebook feed so I ended up at his YouTube channel. I'm still surprised when I see his subscriber count now, he must be getting a lot of US followers as well.
I'm surprised the yanks can cope with these regional accents. Whenever there's a golf coach that speaks like Hugh Grant or Alan Rickman he'll really hit the big time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
YouTube is verging on unwatchable on the Amazon Firestick with all the adverts. You get a 30 second pre-roll which you might or might not be able to skip, then you get an advert between 1-2 minutes in that you can usually skip after 5 seconds, then you get another one between 4-5 minutes that might or might not be skippable but if you can skip then it's usually 15 seconds.

The worst one is you get the unskippable pre-roll then you fast forward the video to about 8 minutes or so and it instantly plays another advert. At that point I just close the app.

Mostly watch on the PC now with uBlock Origin to block most of the crap but now they have ruined the UI with comments off to the side and huge thumbnails of unlimited scroll (probably trying to imitate Tik Tok) which thankfully a uBlock filter has managed to reset mostly back to the old style of comments under the video.

I didn't realise the ad content was different on different devices, but that makes sense now that you mention it. Whenever I've watched a Rick Shiels vid on the TV via the firestick, there does seem to be an advert every 5-10 minutes, and sometimes it's a minute long and unskippable! It turns an hour long video into 80 minutes to get through it. It's not quite that bad when I'm watching on the iPad.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
On and off I've watched some of steve johnston's vids but as a form of entertainment its very one dimensional (coach this, drill this) and any actually playing golf are lost in the instructional library
Just looked at a recent 4 hole playing vid and its still just him on his own/one man band and he opens with 'going to play/film 4 holes but what's the point no one will watch it'

Must be very tough to make a success and be on both sides of the camera, is there any others still doing it alone?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

And donā€™t forget, the likes of good good, grant horvat and Bob does sports are also peddling their own merch, so you get the YouTube adverts and the channelā€™s own adverts as well! You can skip through those though thankfully.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm surprised the yanks can cope with these regional accents. Whenever there's a golf coach that speaks like Hugh Grant or Alan Rickman he'll really hit the big time.
Aren't they basically Colin Thistle out of Love Actually?
I have a friend from Leeds who lives in NYC. His daughter says all her friends think he talks posh, like the Queen.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks like he did make a birdie eventually as well - outside the edit of the You Tube vid. (y)

I just came across Bryson on youtube. I 'hate' that guy, but he makes himself likeable on there. That 20 minutes video was great. I am not yet subscribing. Yet.

But the question of best youtube golfer has been settled. This guys knows more stuff than Shields and Finch and Crossfield, .. together.
For one of his puts he said he didn't line up the dimples. Anyone else knew that you line up the dimples?