YouTubers.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure about that - I don't recall the camera angle for tee shots ever being anything other than shot from behind the player. Except on the odd occasion like an interesting par 3 where they may film from the green.
Well, now that you be are saying this, I think it’s the greens.

But their confidence is astonishing. Blind shots across corners of woods, and they go ‘it’s going to be fine’ while I think ‘that could be anywhere’

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Take back a little of what I was saying about Crossfield and his independence. Latest review of Arcos came across as a bit of an infomercial, and he seemed restrained form mentioning even the name Shotscope as the obvious competitor, mentioning only - other solutions or such cloudy terms. A bit gushing.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Well, now that you be are saying this, I think it’s the greens.

But their confidence is astonishing. Blind shots across corners of woods, and they go ‘it’s going to be fine’ while I think ‘that could be anywhere’
I guess it comes down to the sheer numbers of people they'll have there watching the shots and looking for balls - i imagine there's close to a dozen people on an average Rick Shiels shoot, and with at least one of them from the club you'd imagine they'll be told whether they're likely to find it.

You could see it on the recent Good Good Major at Troon - there must have been about 20 people looking behind one of the greens for a ball.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Take back a little of what I was saying about Crossfield and his independence. Latest review of Arcos came across as a bit of an infomercial, and he seemed restrained form mentioning even the name Shotscope as the obvious competitor, mentioning only - other solutions or such cloudy terms. A bit gushing.
Given that he's paid by Arcos, I'm surprised that there isn't a commercial flag up on the vid.
Other stuff (eg gcn cycling) always has a "paid for" notification. Funnily enough, I've never noticed it on any golfer content, despite the fact that a vast chunk of it is either paid for or given to them for free.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure there's one YT'er that I trust to give any form of independent review now.
I find their reviews useless anyway. A scratch player reviewing a club isn't much use to me as a 14 handicapper. They should all get a mid or high handicapper to come on and help them with club reviews, unless it's a club that is aimed at the better players.

Teebs

Visit site
I find their reviews useless anyway. A scratch player reviewing a club isn't much use to me as a 14 handicapper. They should all get a mid or high handicapper to come on and help them with club reviews, unless it's a club that is aimed at the better players.

True.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure there's one YT'er that I trust to give any form of independent review now.

I tend to agree, YouTube channels have just been swallowed up as another part of the manufacturers marketing campaign and, as with other industries, if the YouTube reviewers do not play ball, they start moving their focus to instagram influencers.

Sad really as Youtube in general started off with so many people wanting to give a more independent review of things then money and access became involved and the sheer need to produce content resulted in those previously independent people being beholden to the companies.

Springveldt

Visit site
It appears they've changed their name now to 'Club Champion'.
I think they were bought out by Club Champion a couple of years ago, from what I read online that's why the guy who used to do all the hitting (left handed guy, think his name was Matt) left the channel. I used to watch the channel quite a bit for the first year or so as they were getting bigger but I've probably only watched 3 video's in the last year if that, even although I'm still subscribed. Only one I can actually remember watching was Ian's putter fitting as it was at a studio in Glasgow just to see what it was like as I might get new irons in a year or two.

To be honest, the only YouTuber golfer I watch multiple times a week is Crossfield as most of his stuff just resonates with me. A few years ago I thought he was was a bit of a knob (especially in his vlogs) and he probably still is but his content is really good when he is on his own doing teaching stuff. I'm also guessing YouTube isn't paying as much these days since Lockey is never on the channel anymore.

Visit site
While not a massive fan, one thing I do admire about Rick Shiels is that he seems to have no problem showing his poor stuff.

As @BiMGuy says, he always finds his ball and all too regularly it’s about a yard from the boundary of the course, a yard from a bush etc, pretty sure they just drop one down to avoid having to go back to the tee. However, I do agree he at least shows all of his actual shots, no mulligans or fudging going on.

I just can’t believe Shiels is so bad 😂 and getting worse..

Interesting to see Peter Finch have a bit of a mare with a crowd. A crowd would naturally not allow you the chance to do some clever editing.

Springveldt

Visit site
Rick Shiels used to do this year ago when he was still making video's from the driving range. Would be interesting for someone to bring them back.

Maybe have a look at The Average Golfer, think he's around an 8 or 9 handicap as seems to review clubs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rick Shiels used to do this year ago when he was still making video's from the driving range. Would be interesting for someone to bring them back.

Maybe have a look at The Average Golfer, think he's around an 8 or 9 handicap as seems to review clubs.
I did for a while but his voice is so slow and monotonous I can't stand to watch him very often.

HeftyHacker

Visit site

I dunno, Shiels could cover that market pretty well atm 🤣

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pret
I don't know why people are looking to YouTubers to help in club selection.

Surely all clubs are pretty much the same these days so it's just a matter of choosing the ones that you like the look of.
Pretty much. But some are still sucked in by the advertising claims and think there are differences. They are confused, because despite believing differences exist, they cannot discern them themselves. And, despite claiming club 'fitting' is a thing, throw that out the window by basing their purchase on what a youtube pro with a 115mph swing speed tells them. Golf equipment shops do seem to promote a particular type of leave brains at door, on entering.

RichA

Visit site
I'm not so sure that looks are the only difference between a Taylormade Stealth HD iron and a P7MB.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Just noticed after a random YT recommendation this morning that Me And My Golf have apparently stopped dressing identically and I can now watch their vids (y)
(always felt more than a bit perturbed to see them dress like that, so much so that I couldn't watch their content)
Oooh really, Ive always found that a little weird too. May give them a watch

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have just bumped into Rick Shiels and the Bob does Sports crew and they were very accommodating in giving my youth a picture with them👍

I think I'd always try clubs first and not rely on online reviews however I watch them for the courses and light entertainment.

oleinone

Visit site
A video spontaneously appeared on my Youtube list with Westwwood, Poulter and Bullard - Ok this should be worth a look . Wrong - within microseconds I realised that being geezered to death by Bullard wasn't going to work. Made much worse by the parasitic loud mouthed caddy whose emergence from obscurity should be reversed without delay.