YouTubers.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I honestly have no idea how he's amassed as many subscribers as he has. His voiceover work is dull as ditchwater. It really makes me wish I was less lazy and motivated enough to make my own YouTube channel!

I've a friend at my golf club who i play with quite a bit who is good friends with Rick. My mate used to play at Mere when Rick worked there and they golfer together a lot, along with John Beesley (County captain whos appeared a few times on Ricks channel). It's funny when Rick posts pictures of himself and his mates at the likes of JCB as he's always with them.

Anyhow, a few things my pal always tells people who think youtube is easy.

1. People underestimate how hard he has worked to get where he has. Especially at the start. Very very long days filming and editing (before he had a team). Tbh, he didn't have an idead at the start how big it would get.
2. Many reach out to him for advice and he always helps how best he can. Lots try and do what he has done and fail, and, whether he gets on the nerves of a few folk on here or not, he's charismatic and people have always gravitated towards him.
4. He's extremely driven and one of those guys who would have succeeded in life whatever he chose to do.

Now the nights are drawing in I've dipped more into YouTube and am enjoying his content. Especially the stuff he does around courses i know in the NW. Ive also discovered DHG and like their stuff too.

Last edited:

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have been watching the chaps on DHG as they've played a couple of courses (Bramshaw Forest and Paultons) which I play.

Tis interesting seeing proper players play those courses!

Really got into DHG in the last couple of weeks. Enjoying the different personalities whilst Dan Hendriksen does well with the presenting side of things. And watching Bernie's stinging two irons has become addictive!

Watched a bit of Golf Mates. Enjoyed some of the course reviews (watched the one on Painswick) but have found Liam can be a bit of a tool when playing matches against other people. They played some nice courses in Scotland though which made for good viewing.

4LEX

Visit site
Beef comes across so well. Really hope he can get his game together and bounce back from the injury troubles.

Rick seems to have hit rock bottom lately and his stuff is looking very predictable and flat. He's got to get different guests onto the Break 75 as Guy is that bad mix of boring and cocky. Rick needs to play better courses and travel further too. A full 18 old match with Peter Finch would be good to see aswell. Seems strange they've hardly done any content together in 2 years....

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Hendrikson has the most annoying voice on earth. I'd rather kisten to nails on a chalkboard.

If you want honest reviews you still can't top Crossfield. Newton is decent but has an obvious inbuilt bias towards anything "forged".

Matt Fryer and Carter - can suffer a wee bit if them, too much and I just switch off.

Again I like the honesty of Rick Shiels especially his break 75. He's passionate but clearly doesn't edit or hide his poor shots.

Finch I can watch but wouldn't go out of my way.

I still like most of the No Laying Up and Tourist Sauce stuff plus most Erik Anders Lang stuff is good.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Looks like Lester Barnes is going to have a crack at You Tube. Always enjoyed his input on DHG - who seems to be going down the club review and focus on the technical side of the game.

Anyway, I'm sure Bernie would love a few more subscribers from the GM flock.(y)

Lester "Bernie" Barnes - YouTube

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What is it with Devon and YouTubers! ?

Strange isn’t it. I’m fairly sure mark Crossfield was one of the first golf YouTubers, and all the Devon lot seem to have been associated with him at some point. Similar to the north west and Rick Shiels.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Can't believe we're on page 12 now and as far as I know nobody has said that they watch "Classic Golf Clubs" and what a great channel it is. :eek:

There's a lot of research goes into many of the videos. Okay, a few too many shorts have gone out recently (once the team had worked out exactly what they were and how to make one :oops: ) but doing stuff in the winter is always hard.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Has any YouTube ‘spin off’ ever really been successful? Not just in golf, but anywhere?

DHG might be semi successful in golf, but that’s about it as far as I can see. He doesn’t seem to be able to grow his channel. No idea how big Lee is these days. Does Wilbur also run by himself now? I can’t see enough market for all of them to do well.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Has any YouTube ‘spin off’ ever really been successful? Not just in golf, but anywhere?

DHG might be semi successful in golf, but that’s about it as far as I can see. He doesn’t seem to be able to grow his channel. No idea how big Lee is these days. Does Wilbur also run by himself now? I can’t see enough market for all of them to do well.

Lee is back working at DHG, who have done nothing but club reviews for the last two weeks or so - apparently it's growing their subscriber base quite rapidly in comparison to the course vlogs.
I've always enjoyed the DHG stuff, but the vids are all a bit 'samey' despite their attempts to alter formats etc

Not sure why Lester left, he clearly still wants to do You Tube but he was a key part of DHG for me, very likeable guy - spends a good amount of time interacting on social media - I thin overtime the DHG channel will miss him.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
From my perspective there's simply too many channels doing broadly the same stuff over and over again....
There's a limit to the amount of different content you can produce when it comes to golf, especially if there's 20 or so other channels all coming up with the same ideas...
Theres very little that is really new in most golf content and it's getting a bit dull from where I'm sitting...

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From my perspective there's simply too many channels doing broadly the same stuff over and over again....
There's a limit to the amount of different content you can produce when it comes to golf, especially if there's 20 or so other channels all coming up with the same ideas...
Theres very little that is really new in most golf content and it's getting a bit dull from where I'm sitting...

That's why I like rick, he keeps it fresh with the break 75s, the 10 shot golf pro challenges

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lee is back working at DHG, who have done nothing but club reviews for the last two weeks or so - apparently it's growing their subscriber base quite rapidly in comparison to the course vlogs.
I've always enjoyed the DHG stuff, but the vids are all a bit 'samey' despite their attempts to alter formats etc

Not sure why Lester left, he clearly still wants to do You Tube but he was a key part of DHG for me, very likeable guy - spends a good amount of time interacting on social media - I thin overtime the DHG channel will miss him.

For me it's the different personalities that make DHG interesting. Anyone can take a camera around a course but making videos that are not dry and dull takes a bit of talent. They don't take everything too seriously, seem to be enjoying themselves (an important factor in a sport that can be so po-faced and is obviously very divided at the moment) and mix together well. Personally I also like Jordan's quite deadpan input and vlogs when Chris Gill plays but ultimately its the different personalities and how they mix that provide the entertainment for me. On an individual basis a lot of that would be lost.

Daff

Hacker
Visit site
I like DHG - it's their course vlogs that I really enjoy watching if I'm honest. I think that they have a good mix of people playing & it will be a real shame if Lester is not there as I think he was a key element to it
I can watch reviews of clubs on any number of channels, it's channels that do something slightly different that interests me - stuff like Stacked Golf and Alex Evans