YouTubers.

Skytot

Visit site
Rick Shiels introduced me to Iona Stephen, the blue and white Titleist girl, so he's my favorite YouTuber over on this side.
I like his pal Guy a lot as well.

I've gotten to the point where I can understand Rick, Guy, and Ian Fraser without subtitles.
Pretty good, huh?

The Bob Does Sports crew--Bobby Fairways, Joey Coldcuts, and Fat Perez--are also fun, and as a bonus, they speak American English.
The Good Good guys aren't bad.
Grant Horvat is good but most of all,

THEY ALL HAVE TO STOP WEARING THOSE OBSCENE "JOGGER" TROUSERS.
They look ridiculous.
Give Golfmates a try , see if you can understand them.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn't mind him at first but, like you say, he seems to be trying to get a bigger part in it and does seem very pushy and irritating with it.
100% - I can't watch any of Rick's videos where Guy has a big part in it. I also stopped listening to the RS podcast as I just don't find him funny

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I get a lot of American viewers, I think most of them seem to be able to understand my midlands accent.
Your anonymity is destroyed!
Now I've seen you on television.

At least your miss right is a push and not a slice!

Fun show, though.
Great to see some actual grownups playing golf, just like my own gang at the club.

Severof

Visit site
100% - I can't watch any of Rick's videos where Guy has a big part in it. I also stopped listening to the RS podcast as I just don't find him funny
Same as. Guy saying 'phenomenal' every other hole then NR'ing his card at Troon a couple of weeks ago finished him off for me. Much respect for Sheils and Finch for trying but failing miserably at Open qualifying. Jimmy Bullard pulling out with a " bad back ' 2 days before was dubious. I think he knew he didn't have it in his locker and couldn't face it. He's been up my club a few times and comes across as a real Billy big balls, bordering on arrogant AF. Tubes and his brother both shy, down to earth and likeable on the other hand.
If you haven't tried it, check out Country Club Adjacents various 'back off challenge' videos. Very funny.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

Watched this yesterday, really fancy Georgia Hall do to well in the Women's Open watching this, her attitude and how she plays seems perfect for St Andrews.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same as. Guy saying 'phenomenal' every other hole then NR'ing his card at Troon a couple of weeks ago finished him off for me. Much respect for Sheils and Finch for trying but failing miserably at Open qualifying. Jimmy Bullard pulling out with a " bad back ' 2 days before was dubious. I think he knew he didn't have it in his locker and couldn't face it. He's been up my club a few times and comes across as a real Billy big balls, bordering on arrogant AF. Tubes and his brother both shy, down to earth and likeable on the other hand.
If you haven't tried it, check out Country Club Adjacents various 'back off challenge' videos. Very funny.
At the time I thought he should have gone for it anyway, but he's not been on the channel since, so it was probably legit given that that makes it about a month off he's had now.

I thought the same on Guy - he reached peak Guy on the Troon vid. He really tried to make that one The Guy Show. Makes a massive fuss about NRing at the first sign of a bad hole, then two holes later he hits a decent shot and he's back at the forefront again. Whoever does the editing really needs to leave a lot more of his bits on the cutting room floor.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just got this in my feed. The guy with more relatable club distances hits it all over the place on a tree-lined tight course and still scores +5 gross.

Any guesses how he does it and what should we all practice more? 🙃

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just got this in my feed. The guy with more relatable club distances hits it all over the place on a tree-lined tight course and still scores +5 gross.

Any guesses how he does it and what should we all practice more? 🙃

Watching this now - is the answer that we need to practise getting incredibly lucky?

In all seriousness, yes his chipping and putting are very good, even if he did get outrageously lucky from his awful tee shots on numerous occasions and somehow never loses a ball. His attitude is really good too. It's certainly an eye-opening video so it was a good watch. Unfortunately not all of us have the luxury to practise short game that much. My club's practise area is rudimentary at best so useless for chipping unfortunately. I do occasionally pop down and do some putting practise but let's be honest here - putting practise is quite boring. You have to be practising a hell of a lot to be getting up and down as often as the chap in this video.

P.S. Relatable club distances? Sure I just saw him hit 3 wood nearly 300 yards. :unsure:

Last edited:

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with some of the comments on Guy on Rick's channel. I did used to quite like him as he was an average mid-handicapper, but when he ripped his card up at Troon (considering he wasn't playing bad) I lost appreciation for him.

I've gone off Rick's videos a little bit, break 75 is a decent good series. I loved the Justin Rose one. I'd like to see more James Robinson, I really liked him in the Troon video. I think having him go round as Rick's caddy and giving advice would really help Rick. I'd like to see Rick not hit so many poor tee shots though, I'd expect more from a scratch player.

i've started following some newer golfers on Instagram which is quite interesting to see how they develop, I think I'm a bit old for a channel now!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with some of the comments on Guy on Rick's channel. I did used to quite like him as he was an average mid-handicapper, but when he ripped his card up at Troon (considering he wasn't playing bad) I lost appreciation for him.
He may play like one, but he always claims his handicap is 4!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Watching this now - is the answer that we need to practise getting incredibly lucky?

In all seriousness, yes his chipping and putting are very good, even he did get outrageously lucky from his awful tee shots on numerous occasions and somehow never loses a ball. His attitude is really good too. It's certainly an eye-opening video so it was a good watch. Unfortunately not all of us have the luxury to practise short game that much. My club's practise area is rudimentary at best so useless for chipping unfortunately. I do occasionally pop down and do some putting practise but let's be honest here - putting practise is quite boring. You have to be practising a hell of a lot to be as good at getting up and down as often as the chap in this video.

P.S. Relatable club distances? Surely I just saw him hit 3 wood nearly 300 yards. :unsure:
Yeah I agree, personally I learned nothing from the video. He claims he has the swing of a fourteen handicapper, but can readily get on the toughest par 4 with a couple of rescue clubs and appears to putt with the ability that would make a PGA pro jealous, nothing missed inside about 12 feet.. The video just seemed to say if you can't use a driver don't but his example of suing the driver was worse than about anything I have seen, much of the rest of his game seemed good . Looks like he needed a driving lesson rather than some claim about how he scores well because of any game plan.