Your Golfing Youtubers

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
So then, I'm sure we all watch atleast a few. I probably watch more than most. And as I'm currently mad for anything golf. Who do you watch?

I tend to watch;
Pete finch
Rick shiels
Quest golf
Chris ryan
Meandmygolf
Crossfield (dare I admit it?!)
Buzza

Any hidden gems out there iv missed? Always on the lookout for some new content to watch.

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Stumbled across a channel over Christmas called Mood Swings Golf. Just 2 high handicappers from Burnley who do course VLOG's round the North West.

Nowhere near the quality of Shiels and the like but makes a nice change watching 2 lads having a social round. They do some videos of them having lessons trying to reach single figures also.

Not for everyone on here I imagine but I enjoy it.

Last edited:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Pretty much in order of preference:

Peter Finch
Rick Shiels
Quest Golf
Mood Swings Golf
Buzza
Carter's Golf
Me and My Golf

I don't follow Mark Crossfield anymore, because I don't care much for his sense of humor. Now I only watch the occasional vlog on his channel if the Buzzman is in it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I watch quite a few to see their take on things but my favourites list

Peter Finch

Rick Shiels - (please stop repeating everything you say)

Me and my golf

Mark Crossfied - until I get fed up with him

Chris Ryan

Shawn Clements

Loads of others

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My big frustration with all the internet tutorials & 'celeb pros' etc that I've seen is all the faffin'

3 minute video will invariably have the last 10 seconds of club actually swinging at a ball and 2min 50 of gibbering build up about what they intend to do

Its three things:

1. Short intro
  2. Show the swing
  3. Replay it again & again slowed down & from diff angles with audio instructions/tutorial dubbed over

Its not difficult
:rant:

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I watch the usual ones mentioned but also like Mike Malaska and Monte Sheinblum both Americans who have played on tour and both have very interesting things to say about the golf swing.

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
As above really, but with the addition of people like Lucas Wald, Kelvin Miyahira and PureSwingTV. Can be a little bit boring/technical for some people but it works for me.

I'm growing less fond of Crossfield as time goes by. Especially in the recent reviews/videos at the Honiton golf cave with Pickard/Lockey, he's coming across like that kid at school who thought they knew everything and anyone else's opinion doesn't matter. Wasn't always like that. Also seems to be having regular direct digs at Rick Shiels for using more shots in his club reviews and in the process of doing so contradicts himself. I'm a fan of how Rick is using more shots in his reviews and yes, I do think it's useful.

All we seem to get from Crossfield now is "this is the tech, glaze over that tripe, let me hit 3 shots and try and predict the GC2 numbers because I'm a walking launch monitor, oh I was close enough, get custom fit."

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Steve Buzza for me, seems the most genuine, I just avoid his vlogs where Mark Crossfield features.

I still like Rick Shiels but Peter Finch seems to be getting so self-indulgent that I'm going off him; strange musings about his day and thoughts, often nothing to do with golf, and a lot of slow-mos of his swing set to music....

Do agree with Slab though, if they're going to do an instructional video then just cut to the chase!

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I tend to just watch the Vlogs now and new club reviews, not overly interested in the instructional stuff. I do find Crossfield pretty funny, but can see why he is not for everyone. The quest for the open, quest to 350, slow mo's etc from PF and RS is also fairly tedious.

Order of Preference of channels

Crossfield
Buzza
Shiels
Finch

I struggle to watch meandmygolf, both seem nice enough guys and clued on, but find it all very boring.

But at the end of the day its free entertainment and they all do a cracking job in their own ways.

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
I think some of Peter Finch's vlogs are specifically made not to be too golf orientated. I quite like his vlogs about how he's preparing off the course for his attempt at open qualifying.

On the other side of it, I prefer his coaching/golf-related vids to Rick, but Rick definitely has the upper hand for equipment reviews.

Just watched one of Buzza's vids this morning about the new chromesoft, zoned out 3 minutes in. Are all his videos that boring?

D

Deleted member 1147

I watch Chris Ryan's stuff - I also have lessons with him, and he is very good.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
As above really, but with the addition of people like Lucas Wald, Kelvin Miyahira and PureSwingTV. Can be a little bit boring/technical for some people but it works for me.

I'm growing less fond of Crossfield as time goes by. Especially in the recent reviews/videos at the Honiton golf cave with Pickard/Lockey, he's coming across like that kid at school who thought they knew everything and anyone else's opinion doesn't matter. Wasn't always like that. Also seems to be having regular direct digs at Rick Shiels for using more shots in his club reviews and in the process of doing so contradicts himself. I'm a fan of how Rick is using more shots in his reviews and yes, I do think it's useful.

All we seem to get from Crossfield now is "this is the tech, glaze over that tripe, let me hit 3 shots and try and predict the GC2 numbers because I'm a walking launch monitor, oh I was close enough, get custom fit."

Spot on :D

The shame is that I still think he is the best coach out there if you had a lesson in person with him. But you can't translate that to You Tube very well as by definition the audience is too generic. I think he is backing himself into a corner with his instructional videos as I'm not that sure anymore what he's trying to say with them, apart from the fact that it is all very specific to individual golfers.

Also you need someone like him to cut through all the marketing stuff too many people accept on face value and do not test. Plus he is right that strike will override all the tech in the world. But he does seem to be going too far with the dismissing of it all now.

And Lockey now just seems to be mostly relegated to his lap dog to laugh at his comments and hold the camera. Which is a shame as he seems a decent bloke.

Last edited:

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Chris ryan is probably my favourite out the lot for the instructional side of things. He doesn't harp on, or try and be funny. His videos do what they title says, rather than clicking on some people's videos and as you say, having 70% of the video of them doing there pitch to be an Internet star. But in a way I can't fault those that do, because it works and they live a good life out of it. Just depends on what you prefer watching I think.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given up with Crossfield, Just seems to be him and the ugly one pulling stupid faces.

Tend to just follow Shiels and Finch now.

In terms on instruction much prefer F2F time on the range with a pro.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd never heard of them before reading this but I've just watched Mood Swings Golf at Nelson GC.
i can't put my finger on why but I enjoyed it, I had a chuckle when one called the Other a 'Skinny Chuck Norris', Have a look, he really is!

Nelson GC Looks a nice course Also, I'll have to give it a go.

Im also getting Strangely addicted to Peter Finch's daily routine.I'm looking forward to Upcoming Videos where he's seen Brushing his Teeth and Hanging out the Washing... not at the same time obviously :thup: