Woking GC 13 July 2021

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Mixed feelings here....
If you check the clubs website, the standard 18 hole green fee is £130.00, so £120.00 for the package is still a good deal, but I can fully understand peoples annoyance.
From a personal viewpoint, 36 holes was always pushing it for me, but I was willing to give it a go as I have played the course before and absolutely love it.
I find it strange they are now taking this stance though, as it was only a few weeks ago, (19th May), that I emailed the pro and booked a buggy for 36 holes. No mention of any restrictions, they were quite happy for me to book it for the day!
I'll still most probably play. I've paid the money out now so won't miss it. And I'll probably enjoy 18 holes more than 36 as I won't be so knackered towards the end anyway.
As I say, I can fully understand peoples annoyance, but it's still a good deal in the overall scheme of things.
Woking is a superb course, easily up there with West Hill, The Berkshire, St Georges Hill etc. Check out any of their websites, and the 18 hole green fee is around the £130.00-£150.00 range.
So we are still getting a little bit of a discount plus coffee, bacon roll and 3 course meal effectively "free".
Personally I'd advise to think long and hard before throwing your toys out of the pram and saying "stuff it". These things happen from time to time. They shouldn't, but they do.
On a nice sunny day, I can think of nowhere better to spend a few hours playing golf and having a nice meal afterwards, without having to shovel it down my gob to get out and play another 18 holes....
;););););)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25172

It's a bit of a leap from one of our posters suspecting they might have done this to it becoming fact, or have I missed something? And if it isn't fact it may not help Papas' negotiating position if they happen to be reading this and it's not the case.

Sorry. Read it like this:

We = I

Know = “know”.

I heavily suspect the above. So no, not a fact, but just a suspicion.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry. Read it like this:

We = I

Know = “know”.

I heavily suspect the above. So no, not a fact, but just a suspicion.
It also might be the case that because of Covid they don’t want to close the course off to their members for 36 holes currently ?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 25172

It also might be the case that because of Covid they don’t want to close the course off to their members for 36 holes currently ?‍♂️

Sure, that could be the case to. Wouldn’t change a bit in my mind. We’ve had the booking for 11 months. ?‍♂️

Grizzly

Visit site
Sure, that could be the case to. Wouldn’t change a bit in my mind. We’ve had the booking for 11 months. ?‍♂️

True, but they may have expected reciprocal arrangements to be open to their members which, again hypothetically, may have fallen victim to the pandemic.

D

Deleted member 25172

True, but they may have expected reciprocal arrangements to be open to their members which, again hypothetically, may have fallen victim to the pandemic.

Ok, look.

I know as much as anyone here.

That may very well be the case too. One week ago, we were on course for a 36 hole day at Woking with no mentions of any restrictions from the club as long as government guidelines didn’t change.

Fast forward a week, 4 weeks before we’re to arrive, 11 months after booking, and this is now a new policy put in place.

It may be to not anger their members, it may be something else.
No matter what, I don’t think that’s how you handle a customer, who in this case have another 50-60 people that have planned days off from work, booked hotels etc.

Those who still want to go - ?
Go for it.

evemccc

Visit site
If Covid has affected Members Tee-times or whatever then Woking are obviously within their rights to offer whatever deal to societies as they like going forward - but my view is that already existing bookings - especially ones held for about 10 months and involve peoples work/travel/accommodation plans should be honoured -especially with only a few weeks to go

If they are not honouring this and not offering a better deal then I would definitely like to withdraw

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
On a nice sunny day, I can think of nowhere better to spend a few hours playing golf and having a nice meal afterwards, without having to shovel it down my gob to get out and play another 18 holes....
;););););)

I can Smiffy, my place; I will be made to feel like I'm valued, rather than someone who can be treated with utter contempt.

I see exactly the point you are making & I have some sympathy with it, but I know at some point I would feel extremely angry with their treatment of us, so it's probably best I stay away.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
If Covid has affected Members Tee-times or whatever then Woking are obviously within their rights to offer whatever deal to societies as they like going forward - but my view is that already existing bookings - especially ones held for about 10 months and involve peoples work/travel/accommodation plans should be honoured -especially with only a few weeks to go

If they are not honouring this and not offering a better deal then I would definitely like to withdraw

Absolutely, they need to honour bookings that have already been made unless it's for reasons outside their control.

I don't see any evidence of that so can only conclude that they've bowed to pressure from someone and just changed arrangements last minute.

Its likely that they regret booking the course out for a whole day at peak time for probably too good a deal and they are now backtracking IMO. Using covid as an excuse.

Very annoyed, how can you trust this club again with bookings? If they move the goal posts? I for one will be making my opinion known on social media once we've played our game there, if we play.

It's not so bad for me I live 30 mins away but feel bad for those who have booked hotels, travel arrangements, etc.

Grizzly

Visit site
That may very well be the case too. One week ago, we were on course for a 36 hole day at Woking with no mentions of any restrictions from the club as long as government guidelines didn’t change.

Fast forward a week, 4 weeks before we’re to arrive, 11 months after booking, and this is now a new policy put in place.

It may be to not anger their members, it may be something else.
No matter what, I don’t think that’s how you handle a customer, who in this case have another 50-60 people that have planned days off from work, booked hotels etc.

For the record, I don't disagree with you, I think whatever the reasoning they could/should be doing more to "fix" it.

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the easiest thing is that those who want to carry on with the new deal do it this year, we can keep a good relationship with the club and hopefully they will honour the original deal next year (I don't see why they wouldn't).

I appreciate that people have booked time off and hotels etc, complaining on here probably isn't doing the organisers stress levels a lot of good. If you are really upset with the club don't patronise it and boycott it!

While I think the club are completely in the wrong, it could come down to just some basic poor administration, probably some dopey assistant deserves all the grief on here.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Dave,

Firstly, thanks for all the organising on this one, even though we were late bookers. Luckily hadnt booked hotels.

Secondly, I know you will feel gutted, as I would have done in the same situation, but you have 100% had no control over a terrible decision by the club involved.

If they were truly sorry, they would have either done it for £80 approx for 1 round, maybe £100 with a meal thrown in.

If they are also truly sorry, they will honour the same original deal next year, and if so would be very interested, but sadly my 2 mates were only happy to pay the original fee because it was for the two rounds, same as myself.

When you do get around it, hope you get 45 points mate, and win the big prize, it would be fully deserved.(y)

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Hi Guys.
Have just had a rather disappointing email from the club.

They have taken the step this year to limit golf to 18 holes due to covid. I spoke to them last week and this wasn't discussed at all, so a little poor to tell me with only a months notice.

Their offer is now for coffee and bacon rolls, 18 holes, followed by 3 course dinner.
Total being £120 (including £5 for prizes).

Now I'm still happy to play, but understand that deal isn't really at the same level as the original one.

So if you could let me know your thoughts.

I'm happy to discuss a date with them for next year if people would rather that.

Dave
Hi Dave, just seen this update. Sadly I agree with BIM & others on this one. I am therefore reluctantly pulling out of this meet. Thank you for all your hard work in putting it together. I will DM you my bank details later in the week.