Sunningdale Old and New 23rd and 24th July 2019

• Thread starter Deleted member 17920
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

You woke up next to a horse?

Well, some call him Papas, but close enough. He did have the worst case of hickups I’ve heard, so I did think at one point that he might’ve been transforming to something, but perhaps not a horse.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Well, some call him Papas, but close enough. He did have the worst case of hickups I’ve heard, so I did think at one point that he might’ve been transforming to something, but perhaps not a horse.

You can go off some people......

The way I played from the 10th onwards at addington I'd say Donkey was more apt!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Winning anything has never even crossed my mind when signing up to these meets. I just wanted to play nice courses and get to know fellow golf nerds. Chucked my winning score in £ into the H4H pot. My bag broke on the way home from Sunningdale though, so the remaining share of the winnings should get me a nice new bag. :)
Cheers Jakob. Very much appreciated. I knew you were not as bad as some made out !!:)

See you at Tandridge.(y)

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers Glyn and Cam, its a great deal of graft putting a meet together and this was a biggie, you're a pair of diamonds! I didnt hear Cam swear once - more like 100 times 😁

I'd played the New back about 5 years ago so I was really keen to play the Old and was blown away by how beautiful it was and a wonderful, but not as tough as the New, track. Pieman showed us how golf should be played but, in my case if you cant get off the tee properly its can be a little difficult to play the game 🤔

The New was tough imo and I felt the bunkers were poor, heavy overnight rain left them quite compacted and being fairly deep led me to stay in more than I usually do.

I'd like to thank Swingalot for driving me there and back and apologise to Chris3081for trying to wipe him out on the practice chipping area, a place where a bellowed FORE is rarely heard😣. Great fun meeting up with new and and the old wizened faces 😉 and an enjoyable evening in Camberley

Don't worry Chris, you've saved me the hassle of a court case ;) - great to catch up - the best course's i've played to date - well done everyone

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah

Huge thanks to Glyn and Cam. Was a cracking few days.

Also thank you @bluewolf for pulling of the flookyiest bunker shot i have ever, ever seen.

In advance of next year, could we please ensure the Bear pub in Camberly is fully stocked with Bee Sting Perry Cider. Unfortunately they ran out after some very unscrupulous pilfering activity by the one of the southern contingent....

I wont name names as i am a man of honour and to be fair, whilst he has a few years on me, hes also a proper unit... so im keeping my mouth shut :p

4LEX

Visit site
I was playing the New course as you guys were on it. I didn't realise it until I'd seen this! I hope the Scottish guy who had lost his sunglasses found them and who had the fit blonde with them?! :unsure::p

I'm astonished the majority of you prefer the New to the Old though. If you compare hole by hole the Old takes it by a good 4-5 holes. Better start, miles better finish and more of a variety of short, medium and long holes. The New takes it on the par 3's and 5/6 are the best back to back holes in the country, IMO. However 3/4/5/6/7 and 10/12 and the finish puts the Old ahead for me!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was playing the New course as you guys were on it. I didn't realise it until I'd seen this! I hope the Scottish guy who had lost his sunglasses found them and who had the fit blonde with them?! :unsure::p

I'm astonished the majority of you prefer the New to the Old though. If you compare hole by hole the Old takes it by a good 4-5 holes. Better start, miles better finish and more of a variety of short, medium and long holes. The New takes it on the par 3's and 5/6 are the best back to back holes in the country, IMO. However 3/4/5/6/7 and 10/12 and the finish puts the Old ahead for me!

I preferred the Old, much more interesting and more beautiful

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So do I. But it's actually (considered) slightly 'weaker' than the New. Neither, imo, has a particularly strong finishing hole, but the others are all SO good, that's of little consequence and the chance of Birdie makes it/them interesting - in the same way 18 at TOC does. Both pretty much equally beautiful imo, but Old a tad more interesting

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I preferred the old, mainly because I saw more of the fairways and actually had a few chances to putt

Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site

It is definitely more beautiful. Only 5, 6,10 and 13 really compare from the New.

So do I. But it's actually (considered) slightly 'weaker' than the New. Neither, imo, has a particularly strong finishing hole, but the others are all SO good, that's of little consequence and the chance of Birdie makes it/them interesting - in the same way 18 at TOC does. Both pretty much equally beautiful imo, but Old a tad more interesting

The New is much tougher without a doubt. Right from the start you''ve gotta be on it. A slow start and you're in trouble by the 5th tee. The Old is just a second shot course and by far the best. Everything about it makes you think about position. If you play well you get rewarded and you can make a good score. The New is a drivers course.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
difficult to rate one higher than the other. the new is visually more appealing whereas the old has more interesting holes imo. but maybe that stems from the fact that i played the old course first. i did not like hole 2 on the old course though

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
difficult to rate one higher than the other. the new is visually more appealing whereas the old has more interesting holes imo. but maybe that stems from the fact that i played the old course first. i did not like hole 2 on the old course though
I reckon it's a great hole! Just one helluva difference to the almost ho-hum 1st!

Imo, the first is a (great) warm-up hole; the 2nd tells you 'this is a serious course!'. There are definitely a few 'quirky' holes though (e.g. 3rd, 9th, 11th) but they definitely have the potential to sting!

The entire complex has some of my favourite golfing holes for either play or views. Old 10 is very near, if not at, the top for both!