Cooden Beach GC Forum Meet........................ Friday 30th July 2021

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Well that was an interesting day, I don’t think I have played in anything as windy as today.

With trolleys being blown over and balls blown off greens you definitely had to laugh at times.

A total shocker for me in this mornings round, with a total of 13 points, but solidly beating my total of 8 balls lost. The afternoon round was much better, had beaten my mornings points total by the 8th hole with the same ball I started with. Had a few car crash moments along the way but ended up on 31 points.

All in all a very eventful day

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Well it was a blustery day in the Cooden area. Cant quite work out how I scored 30 points in the morning but managed to lose so many balls. I've never played in wind that strong, never ever!

Highlight of the morning was seeing Leftie hit a straight shot down the middle to see it turn left at the lights and was never seen again?? I've never seen a ball change direction like that although 60mph winds probably played a part . Leftie and Dahn were great company all day, thanks guys. Great to see old faces and some new ones after the couple of years we've had.

Cooden staff looked after us very well and the food was really good and the biggest thanks goes to to Smiffy for arranging the day ??

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
What a day!! Thanks to everybody that came along and braved the weather. They really were some of the worst conditions I have ever played golf in.
Luckily the forecast rain didn't materialise until the very end of the 2nd round. My group were playing the 18th when it started, and although my 3rd shot landed just off the back of the green, the ball is still there this morning. All I wanted was the sanctuary of the clubhouse, so sod the score, (and the ball!!).
23 players, (one "no show"), best score of the morning was 31 points scored by Anthony (TXL). My score of 27 points wasn't too bad after all, quite chuffed with myself actually!
Afternoon round was a team event, winners with 73 points were TXL (again!!) partnered with Paul Nash and SteveW86.
Well played lads.
Highlight of the round for me was when we were playing the 9th hole. All three of us were on the green, I was going to be putting up the slight incline, Ray and Sharon had slightly downhill putts and were to play 1st and 2nd. The wind was really gusting over this exposed part of the course, and while I was waiting for my turn to putt I turned my back into the wind to try to get some protection. As I stood there I heard a cry from Sharon, looked down to see hers (and Rays) ball go trundling past me as they were being blown off the green...:eek::eek::eek:
Such a shame that the weather turned out like that, this morning in Bexhill there isn't a hint of breeze.
Course was in lovely condition, greens maybe the best I have seen them.
Thanks again for turning up and making the day what it was.
Good to see familiar faces after the tough times we've been through, and especially good to see Simon (Bratty).
Next year anyone???

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wow!

That really was hard work and equal to or worse than the previous strongest winds I’d played in at porthcawl.

I struggled to get the ball off the tee all day but scraped a semi respectable 27 points in the afternoon. Combined with playing partners Bryan and Owen this gave us a total which wasn’t anywhere near as far away from the winning score as we had thought it might be.

Great to catch up with people after so long.

Well played Anthony and thank you very much Rob. Always tricky to organise these things and not helped this time round by the previous issues with numbers and then a no show yesterday.

Now whose idea was it to book a 7.39 tee in the medal this morning ……

Badger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have played a lot of golf in Scotland but don't think I've ever played in a wind as strong and constant as that, was like being in a permanent heavy gust for seven hours !

Lost ball count for what it's worth, 15 in 25 holes then remarkably managed to keep the same one in play for last 11 !. Off to Hever in an hour for our 4bbb knockout day and rummaging in the back of the cupboard searching for balls !

First time at Cooden and I loved it despite the wind. Course, food and staff were great. Nice to see some familiar faces after too long. Sorry to those I never got the chance to have a proper chat with.

Thanks to Smiffy for arranging what was a really enjoyable day.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
great day. Well done Smiffy. And thanks to Badger for ensuring my 13-ball loss was not the worst!! :)

Anthony, after moaning that he is playing rubbish, did the predictable super solid golf in really bad conditions. Great golf. Steve had a very dody start but his points overtook his ball count by the 12th!! But i overtook him on balls lost and my 16 points is the worst score i have ever had - and that included a 4 pointer on 15!

The afternoon round produced much better goolf from Steve and I - especially Steve who was a transformed player, especially on the back 9 with some excellent ball striking.

My Motorcaddy electric trolley was blown over several times and was really struggling to push it - as was trying to make an 18 hole battery last 36 - i think one of the accidents has damaged the trolley. The right wheel now is really stiff and will not turn without the moror on. I guess the axle or something is knackered - and given my engineering inability it will have to go and see the doctor and no doubt attract a large bill!! :devilish:

It was nice coming doen the day before and stayimng next to the course - has a nice leaisurely stroll into the Bexhill metropolis and spent a few hours catching up with the man previously known as Fish over several pints of Staropraman! Good fun. We then joined Smiffy, James and their partners for a lovely Italian, washed down with copious amounts of wine to ensure a nice hangover to start the golf on a lovely calm peak-summer day!! Perfect! :)

Roll on next year - Cooden and me have unfinished business!!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Bratty's back! ?

Huge thanks to Smiffy for the invitation and lovely to see some faces again. A great day at Cooden, although the 40° bend on some flagsticks meant it was an interesting and challenging day.

Thanks to playing partners James and Fish for some quality golf and chuckles when the golf wasn't quality (I'll let you lot decide the ratio!).

Also, you'll be pleased to know I no longer swear like a merchant navvy on the golf course; I'm a changed man!

Next year for sure, Smiffy - count me in, please!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Echoing the sentiments above. My first trip to Cooden, played in a cool summer breeze

Not sure what all the fuss is about ?

To be fair, that was pretty brutal out there yesterday, but despite the breeze, it was perversely enjoyable. Played some reasonable golf at times, and some shocking golf at others. Lost a few balls, but just about stayed in single figures I think. Hate the 9th hole, wind took my ball off the green twice in the first round after being pin high for 2, and once again in the second. It's only merit being that I somehow scooped longest drive on a forum meet but into that wind maybe wasn't too difficult.

The company was good, nice to meet you Simon, although the wind did make a challenge to hold any conversation at times.

Thanks for organising Smiffy, might consider next year if you can put better guarantees in place for the weather?

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Is that the one to the raised green near the tea hut ?
It is indeed.
The other green that was particularly exposed was the par 5 15th.
It was almost impossible to concentrate on the putt in hand with the wind buffeting you around, at times blowing you almost off your feet.
This was then followed by the par 3 16th with a 40mph wind gusting straight left to right from the elevated tee. I don't know if anyone hit the green in the afternoon???
????