winter balls

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
do you change balls during the winter considering there is no need for a spinny ball on the soft greens?

If so, what is your summer and winter ball?

i was thinking of going for the either the AD333 or Qstar

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really, I just use up the ones I've bought in the past instead of buying a new box. I think I have a sleeve or two of Titleist Velocity lying around, they're a decent winter ball I think.

Newtonuti

Visit site
do you change balls during the winter considering there is no need for a spinny ball on the soft greens?

I love the AD333 in winter, fairly cheap and not a bad ball either.

D

Deleted member 1147

Summer I use Pro V or equivalent from TM or Bridgestone etc. Although this yr I used the Tour Response, which seemed to do a job at 75% of the cost of Pro Vs.

Winter I'll either use a yellow ball such as a Soft Response from TM, or a normal cheap white ball that I have in my possession at the time. I won a dozen Srixon Soft Feel this yr, which I'll probably use and lose over the winter league.

RichA

Visit site
I like a softer ball when it's cold. The last 3 autumns I've bought boxes of red, yellow or orange Soft Feel or Supersoft.
By the end of October I've normally lost most of them in the piles of red, yellow and orange leaves that they seem to be magnetically drawn towards.
White balls only from now on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like a softer ball when it's cold. The last 3 autumns I've bought boxes of red, yellow or orange Soft Feel or Supersoft.
By the end of October I've normally lost most of them in the piles of red, yellow and orange leaves that they seem to be magnetically drawn towards.
White balls only from now on.
This always used to be the consensus, but in recent times with My Golf Spy saying things like 'a softer ball is a slower ball', I wonder if using a soft ball in winter would cost someone even more distance than they already give up due to the conditions?

I have a couple of sleeves of Bridgestone RX left anyway so I'll probably just continue using them up, along with Velocitys I mentioned. Thinking about trying the Titleist AVX next year so should really have a clear out of what's left in my drawer.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I use a prov 1 in summer, but once we get to end of Autumn and the temp drops and greens soften I switch to something of a soft compression. When I do get back to playing again hopefully in the next few weeks I will be using mizuno RB566, it's cheap and I don't lose any distance like you do with a premium ball when it's cold.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Bought a bag of 40 second hand Srixon Soft Feel last weekend for £20 - all good condition, same guy does Srixon distance at 15 pence a ball. No point buying new eggs just to lose them under the leaves or in the mud.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wasn’t there an article published saying due to it being harder to compress a ball in colder conditions a softer ball was more suitable (ie soft feels, true softs , super soft)

Personally, my winter balls are the same as my summer balls just generally smaller

D

Deleted member 1147

Wasn’t there an article published saying due to it being harder to compress a ball in colder conditions a softer ball was more suitable (ie soft feels, true softs , super soft)

Personally, my winter balls are the same as my summer balls just generally smaller
Do they go into hibernation?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Huge difference between an AD333 and a Qstar

I used to play the Bridgestone B330RXS in summer and the RX in winter still have a few RX so will go to them when needed. I still use a ball with good spin levels in winter because I want it for short game spin particularly greenside.

One of the things I do for winter is to increase the weight of the putter to compensate for slower greens.

HPIMG

Visit site
My course is a bit soggy the now due to it raining everyday for past two weeks. I was still getting backspin on most of my wedges this morning so think I’ll stick to prov1 all though the winter.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

You play the AVX don't you?
I'd stick with it.
Lower spin, lower launch both help to get through the wind.
Its what I'm using now

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Oh great, another thread where we get to talk balls.

I play Srixon Soft Feel or similar in the summer along with ProV when conditions are perfect.
This time of year I'm using TM RBZ speed, because I bought 24 for £24 this time last year.
When I find "winter balls" in VG condition in the summer, I put them in my carry bag for December to March. In there I've got 2x Srixon Trispeeds, an AD333 and a Srixon Distance.
That should do me.

RichA

Visit site
This always used to be the consensus, but in recent times with My Golf Spy saying things like 'a softer ball is a slower ball', I wonder if using a soft ball in winter would cost someone even more distance than they already give up due to the conditions?

I have a couple of sleeves of Bridgestone RX left anyway so I'll probably just continue using them up, along with Velocitys I mentioned. Thinking about trying the Titleist AVX next year so should really have a clear out of what's left in my drawer.
I'm not worried about speed - I honestly don't think it would make that much difference to my golf. I expect to lose distance in winter anyway. Softer balls just feel nicer on your fingers (?) when you're using bladey, forged irons that are way beyond your skill level.

Edit: By "your skill level" I meant my own, not the person I was replying to.

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last winter I discovered lovely Lemon coloured Honma D1's which consistently went 15 to 20yds longer on a normal 190 drive as well as good off all irons. Bought a few boxes at just over a £1 a ball. Sadly, I didn't buy enough as they are no longer available. The A1 just does not perform the same way.
I agree with the others in that their 3-piece balls are excellent value & perform extremely well..... I think word is getting out!!