winter balls

RichA

Visit site
Last winter I discovered lovely Lemon coloured Honma D1's which consistently went 15 to 20yds longer on a normal 190 drive as well as good off all irons. Bought a few boxes at just over a £1 a ball. Sadly, I didn't buy enough as they are no longer available. The A1 just does not perform the same way.
I agree with the others in that their 3-piece balls are excellent value & perform extremely well..... I think word is getting out!!
Yes. I had some cheap and cheerful D1 balls. They became known as the Honma balls of fun because they came off an iron like those hard small bouncy balls you had when you were a kid. The only ball I've used that I've felt genuinely does go further than others.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
do you change balls during the winter considering there is no need for a spinny ball on the soft greens?

If so, what is your summer and winter ball?

i was thinking of going for the either the AD333 or Qstar

Last two seasons summer have been TW-X, might be last chance since the forum/world latched onto them! ?

Am just heading into 2nd winter with good ol' Srixon distance ?

I'm generally high launch and high spin (due to flaws of course!) so no problem holding greens from mid autumn to mid spring really.

Have a few rb666 from before left also.

Last edited:

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I've never thought about changing balls for winter,mainly because I'll be lucky if I get half a dozen rounds in between now and February.
Combination of work, the weather and days off coinciding with a playable course. Every March I feel like a new golfer.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I found an orange ball last winter, think it was a supersoft, it really stood out in the low winter sun and on the ground, and so I’ve been meaning to get some for this winter. However, played with a chap last weekend who uses yellow balls and we must’ve searched for it in the leaves at some point on nearly every hole, every leaf was either yellow or orange! So I’ll continue using the white titleist tour soft I’ve had for a couple of years until the leaves bugger off and then look to get some orange ones.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I found an orange ball last winter, think it was a supersoft, it really stood out in the low winter sun and on the ground, and so I’ve been meaning to get some for this winter. However, played with a chap last weekend who uses yellow balls and we must’ve searched for it in the leaves at some point on nearly every hole, every leaf was either yellow or orange! So I’ll continue using the white titleist tour soft I’ve had for a couple of years until the leaves bugger off and then look to get some orange ones.

My lad treat himself to a box of Srixon Divides, and they are impossible to spot once there's a few leaves down.

Yellow and Orange balls were great when we used to play on frozen courses - where the ball stood out against the frost or even snow, but as the winters have become milder, they really aren't necessary aside from the odd round. Although the Volvik/flourescent type balls look pretty cool when you smash one when the light is fading

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My lad treat himself to a box of Srixon Divides, and they are impossible to spot once there's a few leaves down.

Yellow and Orange balls were great when we used to play on frozen courses - where the ball stood out against the frost or even snow, but as the winters have become milder, they really aren't necessary aside from the odd round. Although the Volvik/flourescent type balls look pretty cool when you smash one when the light is fading

This is it. Unless it was under leaves, the white ball was easy to see. Time after time we walked past his yellow ball before finding it! Like I say though, I found the orange to be really clear last year, particularly mid flight against the winter sky/low sun, so I’ll probably buy some to play in certain conditions and hope they’ll do for a few winters.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
same ball all year round, tp5, pro v1, tour response, vice pro plus, seed sd1 / sd2 or anything I've been given through the season to use up (garage clearance)

current FAV is the seed SD01 - believe is the pro v1 alternative from them, had them 2 years always used the V1x option but lately flight has been far better with v1 option. always tinkering

D

Deleted member 1147

When all the leaves have fallen & been collected, and the ground is frozen, the none white balls tend to stand out fine.

sunshine

Visit site
1. I use a premium ball in summer, currently still using ProV1x as course and weather still excellent.

2. When it starts to get boggy I'll switch to a mid range ball like an AD333. I'm not wasting my premium balls. Also I want the ball to stick where it lands like I'm throwing a dart... if I'm hitting a wedge into the green with a premium urethane ball it can spin back too much on my course.

3. When it gets cold I'll switch to a soft ball, it just feels nicer off the clubface, I feel like I am compressing it. I don't think performance of the ball matters in January.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I played with a mate a couple of weeks ago who started off using a yellow ball. I told him if you expect me to help search for your ball every time you had better switch to a white ball!!
(I have bad legs/feet and one of the things that makes them really ache is backwards and forwards in the rough).

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
same ball all year round, tp5, pro v1, tour response, vice pro plus, seed sd1 / sd2 or anything I've been given through the season to use up (garage clearance)

current FAV is the seed SD01 - believe is the pro v1 alternative from them, had them 2 years always used the V1x option but lately flight has been far better with v1 option. always tinkering

I’ve seen the ads on unsocial media for the seed and was tempted to give them a go

carldudley

Visit site
Had this chat with my coach last week. He suggested a harder ball for Winter. I usually play Titleist Velocity or TP5, he said I should stick to Velocity's for winter - shot one of my best rounds last week so must be working.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I tried an interesting combo today..
ProV1x with the wind and TP5x into the wind.
Similar feeling balls but the TP5x spins less so gets through the wind better....
The ProV1x flies a bit higher and spins a bit more giving a bit more grab downwind..
Seemed to work OK....

sjw

Visit site
Picked up some neon green Vice from eBay, grade B but look fine. Hopefully will stand out in the leaves, let's see. About a quid a ball

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Picked up some neon green Vice from eBay, grade B but look fine. Hopefully will stand out in the leaves, let's see. About a quid a ball

Vice balls cut up very easily.

I tend to use the premium balls I’ve saved from summer that are a bit scuffed and past their best. I still have about 20 Volvic Vivids that I use when the weather is particularly foul or the course is really wet as I don’t care if they get lost.

I don’t have the worry of losing balls under leaves.