winter balls

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use Tour Speeds in winter if it’s a competition. Otherwise it’s any old ball that I have in my bag. Yesterday I used a Kirkland Signature that I had found. Only used it for a few holes as it felt like a rock.

Albo

Visit site
Vice balls cut up very easily.

I tend to use the premium balls I’ve saved from summer that are a bit scuffed and past their best. I still have about 20 Volvic Vivids that I use when the weather is particularly foul or the course is really wet as I don’t care if they get lost.

I don’t have the worry of losing balls under leaves.
I’ve not had that issue with Vice balls, currently using Vice Pro and had the same ball now from 4 rounds and it’s not cut up at all

Reactions: sjw

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a big box almost full of balls that I've found this year. I use the hard balls in winter, so srixon distance...these are very popular balls at my place, Wilson ones, not the dx2s, or Callaway Warbirds. Plus I don't spend long looking for them either. If they are gone, they're gone.?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’ve not had that issue with Vice balls, currently using Vice Pro and had the same ball now from 4 rounds and it’s not cut up at all

Never used them myself.
The lad I played with used them for a while and they were in a poor state after a few holes.

sjw

Visit site
Vice balls cut up very easily.

I tend to use the premium balls I’ve saved from summer that are a bit scuffed and past their best. I still have about 20 Volvic Vivids that I use when the weather is particularly foul or the course is really wet as I don’t care if they get lost.

I don’t have the worry of losing balls under leaves.
Played Grade A Vice Pro/Plus for a while now and can't say I've noticed that.

Loving the green though. Can spot it from a mile off.

Albo

Visit site
Quick update to this, I picked up the 2 piece vice drive balls for winter playing and have to say after 17 holes (lost the blighter on 18) the ball was pretty scuffed up. I was playing very poorly yesterday so it spent most of its short life being topped which may account for some of the damage but still disappointing

sunshine

Visit site
Quick update to this, I picked up the 2 piece vice drive balls for winter playing and have to say after 17 holes (lost the blighter on 18) the ball was pretty scuffed up. I was playing very poorly yesterday so it spent most of its short life being topped which may account for some of the damage but still disappointing

I find that golf balls don't scuff up at all in winter, regardless of brand. The ground is so soft. Maybe it's different if you play links or heathland golf, as the sandy soil is more abrasive.

Albo

Visit site
I find that golf balls don't scuff up at all in winter, regardless of brand. The ground is so soft. Maybe it's different if you play links or heathland golf, as the sandy soil is more abrasive.
I think it was more to do with my knifing it with great regularity

Jason.H

Visit site
I found a vice pro and used it for a couple of rounds then noticed a weird ball flight and on close inspection the casing was split. Not seen that with a modern ball unless a mowers had it or Rick Shiels with his cutters. ?

JGolfer

Visit site
Been using e12 this winter, bought them during a 3 for 2 on clubhouse golf. That is all I now see on sky sports. Have really enjoyed using them, have perhaps tempted me to try Bridgestone during the summer months.

RichA

Visit site
Been using e12 this winter, bought them during a 3 for 2 on clubhouse golf. That is all I now see on sky sports. Have really enjoyed using them, have perhaps tempted me to try Bridgestone during the summer months.
Same here. 36 balls for £25 and actually enjoying hitting them, which sounds weird. Either my ball striking has suddenly improved or they genuinely do reduce damaging side spin on my bad shots.
EDIT: obvious error above by me. They were £50. ?

Last edited:

JGolfer

Visit site
Same here. 36 balls for £25 and actually enjoying hitting them, which sounds weird. Either my ball striking has suddenly improved or they genuinely do reduce damaging side spin on my bad shots.

I would agree with that, my standard shot off the tee is a fade, my miss is a massive left shot. I have noticeable found it harder to shape it off the tee, though my big miss left, is still a big miss left.

My biggest takeaway is, if you’re going to slice it/hook it. It’s going to be just as bad as any ball, however shaping the ball seems noticeably harder, than say my usual gamer which is a Snell MTB-X.

But a cracking ball for winter, especially into the wind. Seems to do just fine.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Tour balls are coming out of the bag from today..
Our greens are soft on top but firm just a few mm below the surface..getting so much backspin and a lot of our greens are raised so the ball is sucking back off the green...