Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

D

Deleted member 15344

It's not that it isn't up to the job however reading through the topic the manner in which stick-in-the-muds just don't seem to want to embrace change but I guess that typical of human nature not liking change.

I believe reading through the thread people would have no problems embracing change as long as it was worthwhile , improved performance and was cost effective enough to justify the requirement for the change.

Sometimes change isn’t always good and is nothing but a placebo that doesn’t actually provide a better service.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tbf the only people who won't accept are the naysayers that keep finding ever more ridiculous reasons to shoot it down.
Or perhaps the majority are quite happy with the current card and pencil and those processing handicaps have only one process to go through. It seems only one person being obtuse when asked direct questions and not responding or failing to see the point of view of others. Why not answer these directly rather than hide behind "read the thread and educate yourself" etc. Keep banging on about how it'll all be better electronically and we're carry on in the dark ages

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Posts #234 and #238 - Why hide between "how many levels" and "read the thread". Why not answer questions politely asked rather than get rude and personal like you are now when somebody poses an alternative point. I and many others simply don't see a reason for digital scoring and any benefit it provides over what we already have and that there are clearly perceived issues and costs involved that would make it prohibitive. Why uses words like BS. My post was merely asking why you seem so certain digital scoring is beneficial but won't answer questions posed to you.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Will there be special phones for elite tournaments with a tear off section so that you can compare your score with what your marker has entered for you on each hole? :unsure:

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
[QUOTE="robinthehood, post: 2036274, member:

Except $postcount++

Says the man with a 59 post count on this thread..
Irony meter explosion imminent[/QUOTE]

Yeah that right I want to catch homer .
I'd expect better from you as you don't seem the the type to post stupid digs
Looks like I was wrong

Visit site
My phone works fine in the rain. You should probably upgrade. If it's that heavy I'll wait till I'm under my brolly or it eases up, same as I do currently. If my phone screen gets wet I wipe it dry.....If my card gets wet it's possibly my ruined

Ahh so now we're back to you're point. I'm alright jack as I've got plenty of money and can get the best phone. You lot keep up.

Show us this video of your phone working, I'll just do a quick Google search and link in all the articles and videos on there if phones that don't work in the rain.

You said this wouldn't cost money as everyone could just use their smart phones. Now we've all got to upgrade.

To be frank I can afford the best phones, plenty can't, and why should that have to just so you can get away form a tried and tested method that frankly still has a place.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've answered every question and swatted away nonsense as it appears, foxholer was asking some rather weird stuff about application development for which I don't ??? answers, but if you bother to read the thread fully you'd see this, rather than trying to score cheap points.
Presumably you've missed out 'have' where I've marked '???'.

If it's going to connect to the club's comp/handicap system, then there's got to be some significant 'application development' involved by the club comp/handicap system suppliers as well as development of the app (whoever it's by).
If it's NOT going to connect to the club's comp/handicap, then it's pretty pointless! All the Golf Club software I've seen already has facilities pretty close to this via PSI (just not 'in play'). If in-play software (alone!) is wanted, there's plenty already available!

And, to return to the OP's original question, this app won't actually help with the Competition Co-ordinator's task of checking 'scorecards' - a task required to ensure that comprtition participants comply with the Rules of Golf!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Presumably you've missed out 'have' where I've marked '???'.

If it's going to connect to the club's comp/handicap system, then there's got to be some significant 'application development' involved by the club comp/handicap system suppliers as well as development of the app (whoever it's by).
If it's NOT going to connect to the club's comp/handicap, then it's pretty pointless! All the Golf Club software I've seen already has facilities pretty close to this via PSI (just not 'in play'). If in-play software (alone!) is wanted, there's plenty already available!

And, to return to the OP's original question, this app won't actually help with the Competition Co-ordinator's task of checking 'scorecards' - a task required to ensure that comprtition participants comply with the Rules of Golf!
Not to jump on that too much, but I don't think citing the rules of golf in an argument against electronic scorecards really worked. Considering those rules were written long before tablets and smartphones were even dreamt of, I would have thought they simply need to be re-written accordingly if electronic scoring comes to pass.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I make assumptions that what ever system would just be an extension of an existing SaaS offering from one of the current providers in the field , eg club systems.
The clubs would not be developing anything for themselves.
How could it not help with checking cards? All the data is there and if a computer is good for something, its processing data fields, hell I could knock out a powershell script to do that in next to no time.

I agree There are pros and cons to a digital card
A digital card could do away with cards submitted unsigned, incorrect scores entered pretty much non existent, cards not filled out correctly, illegible cards to name a few.
May I kindly suggest then that the gentleman do so, and thus earn yourself a possible fortune in rights the world over...possibly.
Sadly on my part, I have something from Mr Helix that keeps my W H Smith 2 B implement perfect for the job.
Thankyou, but I won't be investing.:)

Visit site
What is wrong with you ? People are as capable of keeping a phone dry as they are a scorecard . You're just looking ever more foolish.

I'm looking foolish, ok mate just post this video and all the substantial evidence you have for most phones working 100% effectively in the rain and I will bow to your infinite wisdom.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I make assumptions that what ever system would just be an extension of an existing SaaS offering from one of the current providers in the field , eg club systems....
Then why do you think they (or at least 1 of them) have not done so already?
How could it not help with checking cards? All the data is there and if a computer is good for something, its processing data fields, hell I could knock out a powershell script to do that in next to no time.
See my query, about why it's not already been done, above!
A digital card could do away with cards submitted unsigned, incorrect scores entered pretty much non existent, cards not filled out correctly, illegible cards to name a few.
Certainly some trivial (but 'expensive') glitches might be able to be avoided, but, as the bold bit, 'pretty much' means they'd still need to be checked for accuracy!

But like others you're going defcon 1.
Twaddle! Why must you abuse every posted who challenges you? A simple counter-argument works best!

Visit site
Mate, I am drawing a line under this particular strand as its just a waste of time, you believe what you want to believe.

It's not a belief it's scientific fact. You just keep on cracking on. And I assume seen as your drawing a line under this you mean metaphoricaly, seen as you wouldn't want to use a pencil to do it.

Or is there a drawing a line under it app out there??

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Since people have said in other threads about players stealing range or even in play balls, why does anyone not think that people wouldnt steal these wonderful fully waterproof £1 smart devices that the club is going to supply everyone?

It was said this morning on the radio that in a decade or 2 smart phone and technology would be a huge enviromental problem....so lets add to it, or just chop 1 tree down and make enough pencils for the whole of the UK who play the game for longer than a battery lasts.

No need to even consider that for as long as IKEA provide a ready supply.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not to jump on that too much, but I don't think citing the rules of golf in an argument against electronic scorecards really worked. Considering those rules were written long before tablets and smartphones were even dreamt of, I would have thought they simply need to be re-written accordingly if electronic scoring comes to pass.
There has just been the most significant changes to RofG for a generation (imo). Yet nothing changed relating to 'The scorecard'! I believe it'll take a bit more than 'an idea' to change that area of The Rules!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My phone works fine in the rain. You should probably upgrade. If it's that heavy I'll wait till I'm under my brolly or it eases up, same as I do currently. If my phone screen gets wet I wipe it dry.....If my card gets wet it's possibly my ruined

Do what I do - carry a couple of spares.