DQ for not returning card.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The OP has been told, personally, that closure of comp is initiated at 8.30, he's in a huff about that, because he wants to go for a pint, drive home, put his slippers on, light the fire, and then he might get round to finishing his round of golf
Closing the comp at 8.30 when the last tee time is 4.28pm is a bit early.
Nobody told me anything about anytime until I called the sec personally on the night to ask what had happened.
If I had drove straight home I still would not have got my card in on this time scale.
It was always 10pm when card in the box, I assumed the digital age would make it better not worse.
If this is the result of us going to digital uploading of scores it’s pretty poor imo.
Four hours from when I hit my first tee shot to DQ is just ridiculous.

Also I am not in a huff I am asking a question for future reference.
I don’t own slippers, and it’s summer so don’t need a fire on, unessesary stupid remarks.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no back up for the lads who don’t have smart phones.
But if that’s the future of golf I don’t like what I am seeing.
This is a club issue not a WHS or EG or Rules problem. The club needs to sort its procedures out. No box !! - the mind boggles

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is a club issue not a WHS or EG or Rules problem. The club needs to sort its procedures out. No box !! - the mind boggles
Yes I agree
There’s been no box or PSI since COVID.
No comment to tell us when it’s being reinstated.
Only method is IG app!
But he’s DQ me under a rule

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know.
But it should be at every course as a back up
That would mean someone needing to be in the clubhouse to collect the cards.
I can understand why he chooses to be at home instead.
Not really about the procedure just the time scales.
If they are going to have 4.28 tee times there should be a set time to get your score uploaded ,I have asked and there isn’t.
He put my score in when I contacted him but we need a written down time so we all know what it is.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How was it done before?
Just like that.
All cards must be in the box by 10pm of comp day.
Results published next day.
So sometimes they were not collected until Sunday morning.
All I asked him was why it’s not the same for upload.
Seems they want the results published the same day now , but sometimes they are not if there are any problems.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a cut-off of 10:30pm in summer, which is more than reasonable. Scores sent in later may still get entered on the day, but the player would get a reminder and be subject to disciplinary measures if they repeatedly missed the cut-off time.

Members have to follow the procedures as agreed in the handbook and any terms of competition; if they don't they will be reminded and may be subject to further action (e.g. suspension from competitions, WHS provided sanctions, etc.).

Do the office staff make up your committee, or have the committee delegated their responsibilities to them? Both setups are not uncommon with members clubs locally, and I'm aware of all of them having regular problems because of it. Not having anyone available to reset systems at weekends (when M&H are usually busiest) just makes things worse.

The responsibility of checking and entering cards on to the system has always been the the office's/club manager's or the secretary's in the 30+ years I have played here.*

Our handicap sub committee is normally made up of the person on the Captain's committee responsible for competitions and handicaps, the club secretary responsible for handling the cards and admin on the ISV system and 3 members. The sub committee is also responsible for club comps, setting rules for the same but the rules have to be ratified through the Captains Committee. The person from the Captains Committee is the only other person given admin rights on the the ISV system and does not normally do CDH (now WHS) admin.

As already said our club rule is cards have to be in by 10am the following working day latest. As this is the time when the person responsible will start to do the admin side of the comps.

*The exceptions to this are the Seniors, who do their own admin, and major club comps when cards are adminstered straight away as the players return.

wjemather

Visit site
The responsibility of checking and entering cards on to the system has always been the the office's/club manager's or the secretary's in the 30+ years I have played here.*

Our handicap sub committee is normally made up of the person on the Captain's committee responsible for competitions and handicaps, the club secretary responsible for handling the cards and admin on the ISV system and 3 members. The sub committee is also responsible for club comps, setting rules for the same but the rules have to be ratified through the Captains Committee. The person from the Captains Committee is the only other person given admin rights on the the ISV system and does not normally do CDH (now WHS) admin.

As already said our club rule is cards have to be in by 10am the following working day latest. As this is the time when the person responsible will start to do the admin side of the comps.

*The exceptions to this are the Seniors, who do their own admin, and major club comps when cards are adminstered straight away as the players return.
Thanks for the overview - sounds very similar to the setup at my wife's club (also a members club). Along with what you have said earlier, there are several things there that make it difficult at best, and impossible at worst, for either your handicap committee or the individual players to fulfil their responsibilities under the rules of handicapping. Just a few small changes would fix that - how easy it would be to make such changes depends on your club and the people on these committees.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the overview - sounds very similar to the setup at my wife's club (also a members club). Along with what you have said earlier, there are several things there that make it difficult at best, and impossible at worst, for either your handicap committee or the individual players to fulfil their responsibilities under the rules of handicapping. Just a few small changes would fix that - how easy it would be to make such changes depends on your club and the people on these committees.
Seems to me that there are three sets of "rules" to be met - the Rules of golf, the terms of the competition, and the Rules of handicapping. And, imo, while the player has all three of these to comply with, the Committee in charge of the competition's responsibilities are for the Rules of golf and the terms of the competition.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ditto to rulie's comments

from the Rules of Handicapping

Appendix A

1. Player Responsibilities. In order to comply with the requirements of the
Rules of Handicapping, a player is expected to:
vi) Where applicable, ensure all acceptable scores are submitted for
handicap purposes, including scores from outside the player’s home
jurisdiction. Acceptable scores should be submitted:
l Before midnight on the day of play, and

Section 2 of appendix A does not put any onus on a club about when a card has to be on the system

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Wrong. Club/handicap committee requirements include ensuring players fulfil their responsibilities under the Rules of Handicapping.
That could be met as easy as reminding the players. Imo, it does not include assuming the player's responsibilities, and players should not expect the Committee to enter the player's score.

wjemather

Visit site
That could be met as easy as reminding the players. Imo, it does not include assuming the player's responsibilities, and players should not expect the Committee to enter the player's score.
Issuing reminders is part of the process of dealing with players who do not, or will not; that is not the problem(s) described here, where players can not because the club/committee are preventing/obstructing them. Not being able to restart a PSI between Friday afternoon and Monday morning is a ludicrous situation to be in.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Issuing reminders is part of the process of dealing with players who do not, or will not; that is not the problem(s) described here, where players can not because the club/committee are preventing/obstructing them. Not being able to restart a PSI between Friday afternoon and Monday morning is a ludicrous situation to be in.

Look there a commercial operation….why would there be any staff available at weekends….when most of the players actually play…..

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Also I am not in a huff I am asking a question for future reference.
I don’t own slippers, and it’s summer so don’t need a fire on, unessesary stupid remarks.
Off course at 8.05 you said, left bar at 8.40 you said, got home at 9pm you said, tired to enter score at 9.15 you said. I apologise of the intervening 15 minutes didn't involve pipe & slippers, however your 8.30 closing of comp was well after you were finished, so it's not in any way ridiculous to suggest that the h'cap sec closes the comp at that time.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
It's a Scottish Golf problem, I've been banging my head against a brick wall all season trying to get these suits to accept that we are far from ready for a smartphone only solution, they are not listening