Electronic Score Recording

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We've had an email from our club today that says that from 12th July we will be going to 100% digital score recording.

This is how it will happen.

What is the change?

From 12th July all General play scores and medal, both strokeplay and stableford, scores will be required to be recorded electronically by you on completion of your round.
It is recommended that you keep a copy of your scorecard for a week after playing should any issues arise with the recording of the score. After the 12th you are NOT required to submit any cards into the letterboxes at the side of the 18th green.

What do I have to do?

All scores you wish to count for your handicap index or competitions must be entered, using either Scottish Golf or HowDidIdo, by you.
There will be no manual system in place from the 12th July 2021.
You, on completion of your round, must check that the card is correctly entered into your chosen App and that all required fields are completed as required. The markers surname should be added to the record as markers should not sign by touching your device under current COVID rules. Your App will confirm your score has been submitted successfully.
The Handicap team recommends members use HowDiDIDo for entering general play and medal scores when playing at East Ren.

What if I don’t use the electronic systems to record my score?

From the 12th July 2021 there will be no manual process available to record paper scorecards for either general play rounds or medal /competition entries.
Any scores not recorded electronically by you for medal competitions, on the day of play, will NOT be included in the competition. There will be no retrospective manual entry possible.
Any general play rounds not entered into the system by you will not be recorded against your handicap index.
Retrospective manual recording of scores by the handicap team will not be available after the implementation date.
When COVID Regulations allow the PSI terminal in the clubhouse will be reintroduced for electronic score recording.

Additional information

Scottish Golfs App is the only one that can be used for recording Away scores.
It is advisable for members to be registered on both HowDidIdo and Scottish golf Apps. To do this you need your CDH number and the following links may be useful.

I don't have an issue with this, as I've been inputting my scores electronically for some time now. However, there are still some older members at the club who may struggle with this. Not many I would imagine but, at least until we're allowed to use the terminal inside the clubhouse, could struggle to input their scores.

Have many others changed now to full electronic scoring input, and how have you found it?

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure why your club is not using the terminal, ours has been available throughout, when golf was allowed of course. Once the terminal is available for use then I think this move is likely to be the future for many clubs. No excuse for anyone not using the terminal once up and running.

A bit harsh on some in the meantime though. Presumably someone could fill in the scores on their phone for a pp who doesn't have a smart phone?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my club we input scores on the pro shop terminal or via the app. Nice and easy. If anyone struggles with technology I imagine they just use the terminal and the pro or assistants can talk them through it.

Although it is certainly the way things are going for the future, I do still wonder about verification of scores. Without a marker doing you score for you, some unscrupulous types may be able to just input any score they like, unchecked, won't they? E.g. in my last comp, I entered the score in the app, posted my card in the box because we're still doing that as well - but we're marking our own cards so it just had my scores, my name and my signature. Not verified by anyone.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Surely the pro shop staff could/ should quickly enter the score on the terminal for those elderly members that dont have the access to technology?

Makes the comp sec's job a lot easier though doesnt it!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
I'm not sure why your club is not using the terminal, ours has been available throughout, when golf was allowed of course. Once the terminal is available for use then I think this move is likely to be the future for many clubs. No excuse for anyone not using the terminal once up and running.

A bit harsh on some in the meantime though. Presumably someone could fill in the scores on their phone for a pp who doesn't have a smart phone?
I think the non-use of the terminal is down to Scottish Government / SGU guidelines.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At my club we input scores on the pro shop terminal or via the app. Nice and easy. If anyone struggles with technology I imagine they just use the terminal and the pro or assistants can talk them through it.

Although it is certainly the way things are going for the future, I do still wonder about verification of scores. Without a marker doing you score for you, some unscrupulous types may be able to just input any score they like, unchecked, won't they? E.g. in my last comp, I entered the score in the app, posted my card in the box because we're still doing that as well - but we're marking our own cards so it just had my scores, my name and my signature. Not verified by anyone.
In reality none of the scores at my club have been verified since covid restrictions began last year. I know the fear but the ability to cheat has always been there.

I believe with the app it does need verification does it not? Doesn't it email your playing partner for them to verify.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In reality none of the scores at my club have been verified since covid restrictions began last year. I know the fear but the ability to cheat has always been there.

I believe with the app it does need verification does it not? Doesn't it email your playing partner for them to verify.
Not for us. I just entered my score, it didn't even ask me who the marker was I don't think? I just entered it and there was no comeback.

Robster59

Tour Rookie

I have to say I've never been emailed to verify the score either. I think the concern over cheating is there, as it is easier to do so now as the cards aren't put in signed. It may be better if your playing partner could input your scores but then if they don't do it, for whatever reason, your score is lost, so I guess it has to be the player to input their own scores.

IanMcC

Visit site
This is an act of madness. I administer 3 comps a week. We use the PSI or HDID/Wales Golf app. There has not been a comp staged since we returned that didn't need at least 1 score correction. Under this scheme, correction or indeed verification by M&H, is impossible. If this truly is the way ahead, I would probably step down from M&H duties.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not for us. I just entered my score, it didn't even ask me who the marker was I don't think? I just entered it and there was no comeback.
I have to say I've never been emailed to verify the score either. I think the concern over cheating is there, as it is easier to do so now as the cards aren't put in signed. It may be better if your playing partner could input your scores but then if they don't do it, for whatever reason, your score is lost, so I guess it has to be the player to input their own scores.
That's interesting. I think it must be be EG app that requires confirmation. I'm surprised that whatever both of you are using does not.

Our terminal does not require confirmation by the way, apologies if that was confusing. Our golf manager has advised we will be back to signed cards as soon they are allowed. My club currently will not accept scores uploaded by app.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The England Golf App requires the score to be affirmed by your marker and the score is held as pending until it is done by the marker.

The IG app has the facility to submit a photo of the card but we no longer require it.

We are still returning cards as well. Although they are not required if using the EG app for General play scores.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We require scores to be submitted by the PSI screens or the IG app.

If a player has not done this the must mark the card as not entered on to the computer.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I was thinking back the other day, think keying scores into the terminal became the norm for me circa 1995.

Guess this is the key change-

It is recommended that you keep a copy of your scorecard for a week after playing should any issues arise with the recording of the score.

In with a decent score, probably keep it, load of rubbish then going in the bin! Suspect a fair few will stop filling out a card and record another way.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The England Golf App requires the score to be affirmed by your marker and the score is held as pending until it is done by the marker.

The IG app has the facility to submit a photo of the card but we no longer require it.

We are still returning cards as well. Although they are not required if using the EG app for General play scores.

Is this a case of what level your club pays for on the IG app

Our IG app just accepts the card , doesn't ask for a photo not even an option so we have been asked to email or drop in the card (we just use EG as easier)

We have been told not to use IG app for comps as it may affect your comp score ie if the handicap adjusts at midnight the handicap sec takes your handicap at the time he puts through the cards .. he might not notice

Seems like we have the cheap version?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We've had an email from our club today that says that from 12th July we will be going to 100% digital score recording.

When COVID Regulations allow the PSI terminal in the clubhouse will be reintroduced for electronic score recording.

This bit interests me.

England Golf give a firm guidance on the use of PSI screens (they have been in use for over a month now) but I can see no such guidance from Scottish Golf

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are now required to use the HDID app (only) or ask the pro to enter via the V1 PSI.
Can anyone confirm that HDID requires a marker to be designated at 'sign in' or is it an option? If not chosen at 'sign in' can they be designated at 'score entry'?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is this a case of what level your club pays for on the IG app

Our IG app just accepts the card , doesn't ask for a photo not even an option so we have been asked to email or drop in the card (we just use EG as easier)

We have been told not to use IG app for comps as it may affect your comp score ie if the handicap adjusts at midnight the handicap sec takes your handicap at the time he puts through the cards .. he might not notice

Seems like we have the cheap version?

If the sec is inputting scores after the day of the comp he has to enter them onto the portal as being played on that date.

We had a recent comp where the PSI screens were down a lot of players entered their scores via the app and a lot did not. The scores from the cards of the second group were input by the manager 2 days later and it did not seem to make any difference to the results.

Maybe he should test it.

I did not know you could enter competition scores via the EG app.

Photos are still on the app

I have just checked the app tutorial and looks like there are a number of additional features since I last checked or downloaded it

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the sec is inputting scores after the day of the comp he has to enter them onto the portal as being played on that date.

We had a recent comp where the PSI screens were down a lot of players entered their scores via the app and a lot did not. The scores from the cards of the second group were input by the manager 2 days later and it did not seem to make any difference to the results.

Maybe he should test it.

I did not know you could enter competition scores via the EG app.

Photos are still on the app

I have just checked the app tutorial and looks like there are a number of additional features since I last checked or downloaded it

No comp cards via ig he means aswell eg we know we can't but IG isn't an option for us

He doesn't do as that day dunno how he puts them down as day it was

NearHull

Visit site
We are now required to use the HDID app (only) or ask the pro to enter via the V1 PSI.
Can anyone confirm that HDID requires a marker to be designated at 'sign in' or is it an option? If not chosen at 'sign in' can they be designated at 'score entry'?
Marker nomination is optional on the app. If you do nominate a marker’s name, the name is stored on ClubV1 for reference, but nothing else happens.