Geo location on EG App

D-S

Visit site
I know that a player using the EG App must be present at or very near to the course when the scorecard is downloaded thereby registering their intent to play, however we were informed by EG in 2022,as an additional feature, that the attester would have to be present as well - this was highlighted as a strong security point and clubs were advised to urge players to use this app for GP scores.
In a couple of recent ‘issues’ it seems as if attesters were not necessarily present at the course but actually managed to attest scores.
Is this geo location for attesters actually working? If so, when does the attester/marker have to be present, when the scorecard is downloaded and/or when the score is submitted?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I know that a player using the EG App must be present at or very near to the course when the scorecard is downloaded thereby registering their intent to play, however we were informed by EG in 2022,as an additional feature, that the attester would have to be present as well - this was highlighted as a strong security point and clubs were advised to urge players to use this app for GP scores.
In a couple of recent ‘issues’ it seems as if attesters were not necessarily present at the course but actually managed to attest scores.
Is this geo location for attesters actually working? If so, when does the attester/marker have to be present, when the scorecard is downloaded and/or when the score is submitted?
As far as I know the attester doesn't have to be anywhere near the player or the course to attest the score. I've heard stories of mates attesting a card for someone in different counties!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given the time delay between a player putting in the score, signing and an attester confirming the attester could have long since left the club.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s really easy to spoof GPS location on phones. It’s a highly flawed and unreliable trust mechanism to use.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The attesting can also catch out...I have had a couple where it has asked for the signature of the attester. Now, this could easily be spoofed as well, but there is only so much that can really be done

Alan Clifford

Visit site
It’s really easy to spoof GPS location on phones. It’s a highly flawed and unreliable trust mechanism to use.
Developer options in Android has "Select mock location app". It makes a lot of sense for a developer who wants to test an app and doesn't want to go to Grytviken to do a test

So like you say, it isn't designed for the purpose it is being used for.

But the location is accurate because it is a machine precision location :cautious::ROFLMAO: