Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There has just been the most significant changes to RofG for a generation (imo). Yet nothing changed relating to 'The scorecard'! I believe it'll take a bit more than 'an idea' to change that area of The Rules!
What I mean is, if electronic scorecards come in, the rules will change to accommodate them. For things like the wording of marking someone's card, signing the card, etc etc. They won't say no to scorecards just because the rules don't work with it, that would be stupid.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Am curious SILH, can you read the little pencil numbers okay with your lenses in?
I am close to taking some glasses out to re-adjust my sight back especially for scorecard checking.
On the phone, most of the time I can zoom/expand if I do want to look at it.

I can when filling in the card as I know where to enter the number - right after the previous one.

But as it happens - when entering my score on our system when back in - I struggle reading my card given brightness (or lack of it) of lighting in the clubhouse - unless that is I happen to have my reading glasses with me - which I usually don't at that point.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What I mean is, if electronic scorecards come in, the rules will change to accommodate them. For things like the wording of marking someone's card, signing the card, etc etc. They won't say no to scorecards just because the rules don't work with it, that would be stupid.
I agree - but it's still a barrier to implementation. Electronic scorecards have actually come in - for 'non-qualifying' comps, but the Rules haven't changed to allow then in qualifying ones. That'll be a loong process!

User20204

Visit site
Scottish Golf are introducing a live scoring and recording app for next season in which it's my understanding many clubs have signed up for. I'm lead to believe it will include online booking for each individual course, have your course pre-loaded with all the details and course planner. The booking part will do away with the need for BRS which costs the clubs a few grand and a few other things that have escaped my mind at the mo.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
There has just been the most significant changes to RofG for a generation (imo). Yet nothing changed relating to 'The scorecard'! I believe it'll take a bit more than 'an idea' to change that area of The Rules!

Are you sure, below is the RoG definition of a scorecard:

"The document where a player’s score for each hole is entered in stroke play.

The scorecard may be in any paper or electronic form approved by the Committee that allows:

• The player’s score to be entered for each hole,
  • The player’s handicap to be entered, if it is a handicap competition, and
  • The marker and the player to certify the scores, and the player to certify his or her handicap in a handicap competition, either by physical signature or by a method of electronic certification approved by the Committee.
For what it's worth I feel it will be some time before electronic scorecards are adopted by most clubs in the UK as the practical difficulties outlined in this thread outway the benefits for most golfers, but the R&A/USGA have for once got ahead of the game.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Are you sure, below is the RoG definition of a scorecard:

"The document where a player’s score for each hole is entered in stroke play.

The scorecard may be in any paper or electronic form approved by the Committee that allows:

• The player’s score to be entered for each hole,
  • The player’s handicap to be entered, if it is a handicap competition, and
  • The marker and the player to certify the scores, and the player to certify his or her handicap in a handicap competition, either by physical signature or by a method of electronic certification approved by the Committee.
For what it's worth I feel it will be some time before electronic scorecards are adopted by most clubs in the UK as the practical difficulties outlined in this thread outway the benefits for most golfers, but the R&A/USGA have for once got ahead of the game.
Doh! I stand (actually lie) corrected!

Indeed, fairly forward thinking for traditionally fairly rigid organisations!

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah it's already allowed within the rules, one of the major players in golf club scoring and handicap management has a system developed and available. You can bet the others do too.
No reason to not get it up and running in tandem with pencils and card .

Really, the link you provided for intelligence golf, did not at all indicate that a system that would comply with the Rules of Golf had been developed, quite the opposite I would say.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
the R&A/USGA have for once got ahead of the game.
Not really surprising. As they wrote the WHS, and realised that the US & Canadian 'casual play' approach was suited to cardless remote entry, they built it in to the rules in anticipation. Certainly the facility is in the WHS if national authorities wish to adopt it together with cardless.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really, the link you provided for intelligence golf, did not at all indicate that a system that would comply with the Rules of Golf had been developed, quite the opposite I would say.
All the ISVs are developing the functionality and are well on the way but why would they individually mention the detail of what they are doing now as everyone else is doing the same thing. And we won't be using it til November 2020 anyway.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
All the ISVs are developing the functionality and are well on the way but why would they individually mention the detail of what they are doing now as everyone else is doing the same thing. And we won't be using it til November 2020 anyway.

Thanks, I was not aware of that and neither are many others given the length of this thread and that only now has this been mentioned.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not to jump on that too much, but I don't think citing the rules of golf in an argument against electronic scorecards really worked. Considering those rules were written long before tablets and smartphones were even dreamt of, I would have thought they simply need to be re-written accordingly if electronic scoring comes to pass.

Have you checked the new Rules at all?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Interesting from the WHS FAQs on the EGU website

How do I return my score at home? From Abroad? Who is responsible for this, and do I need to follow it up?

It is hoped that the technology will be in place to help with the posting of scores at the venue at which you play.

This would be automatically processed.

oof, I wonder what that technology could be :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::):D:eek::eek:

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
And ...

How does my scorecard get signed if I am going to play abroad and input the score online?

As the technology is developed we anticipate some form of digital signature from your playing partner.

Please, someone find me a LMFAO emoji

User20204

Visit site
Is a pen and pencil dark ages now ? Or an appropriate use of equipment for the required job

Basic job at times requires just the simple basic tools.

Do you still get up out your chair to turn the telly over ?

Do you still go to a call box to make a call ?

I'm going to guess no is the answer to these questions yet they are perfectly appropriate to do the job.

The level of objection towards moving things on can surely only happen in this sport.

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you still get up out your chair to turn the telly over ?

Do you still go to a call box to make a call ?

I'm going to guess no is the answer to these questions yet they are perfectly appropriate to do the job.

The level of objection towards moving things on can surely only happen in this sport.

As already posted before

I believe reading through the thread people would have no problems embracing change as long as it was worthwhile , improved performance and was cost effective enough to justify the requirement for the change.

Sometimes change isn’t always good and is nothing but a placebo that doesn’t actually provide a better service.

"Improved Performance" " Cost effective to justify the requirement for the change"

Come back when both those are relevant until then - its pencil and scorecard