Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Since people have said in other threads about players stealing range or even in play balls, why does anyone not think that people wouldnt steal these wonderful fully waterproof £1 smart devices that the club is going to supply everyone?

It was said this morning on the radio that in a decade or 2 smart phone and technology would be a huge enviromental problem....so lets add to it, or just chop 1 tree down and make enough pencils for the whole of the UK who play the game for longer than a battery lasts.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Whilst I was ambling round 9 holes on my own I stopped and chatted to a mate who was on the practice area, he said he'd never seen his own swing so I videoed it for him on his own phone. He had no idea how the video worked, how would he be able to score on a device for possibly 4 players?

Visit site
My phone works fine in the rain. You should probably upgrade. If it's that heavy I'll wait till I'm under my brolly or it eases up, same as I do currently. If my phone screen gets wet I wipe it dry.....If my card gets wet it's possibly my ruined

WOW so you defy science then, crack on pal. you must be amazing in every sense of the word.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, the networking etc stuff to capture results for a competition is fine. I'm talking about the database containing all the Club's Course details, Competitions, Member's Details, Previous Competition Scores, Competition Results (Rankings etc), their (current) handicaps etc. These are maintained by various competing comnpanies, certifird by Congu. There is, currently, a bit more than simply capturing a competition's set of scores!

Capturing the data for a single competition via an app is fine - but that seems to be as far as you have thought it through! For the current setup, have you considered how CSS is worked out and members handicaps are updated from the (captured) results? And how the likes of ESRs are triggered? And 'Away Scores'? Mind you, it'll all going to change when the World Handicap System is implemented....but simply having an App to capture a single competition's isn't going to be enough!

All this stuff would be exactly the same as it is now, calculated in IG/HDID/A.N.Other software package.

The issue is configuring upload(s) from a single app (I assume) into various different software packages in order to calculate CSS etc. Once the data is in any system it's fine that's not the hurdle as I see it, more how do you get the data in in the first place (not insurmountable but already causes issues with CDH up/downloads etc so not as simple as first thought).

Suspect it will happen over time, I'm not bothered either way tbh

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
All this stuff would be exactly the same as it is now, calculated in IG/HDID/A.N.Other software package.

The issue is configuring upload(s) from a single app (I assume) into various different software packages in order to calculate CSS etc. Once the data is in any system it's fine that's not the hurdle as I see it, more how do you get the data in in the first place (not insurmountable but already causes issues with CDH up/downloads etc so not as simple as first thought).

Indeed! And that (currently) requires the proprietary software folk to do some work - not something as simple as it sounds (I've some (wasted) personal experience of one of them!).

I strongly suspect, from his 'wtf' questions that while RtH may be capable of creating an app to process a competition to some extent, he hasn't go much of a clue about the 'whole' 'Club/Handicap Management' environment. VPAR has certainly shown the benefits of (and some issues with) real-time scoring! But that isn't a Congu format application!

Btw. HDID is not the base software. It's (merely?) the Internet Report Publishing (Back End) side of ClubVI (previously Club2000?). Unlike IG and HndicapMaster which are both Internet Based, the core database resides (or at least used to, as I'm rather out-of-date) on a Club PC/Server.

But, as I stated in the reply to RtH, the change to World Handicap System will change things - a lot!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Indeed! And that (currently) requires the proprietary software folk to do some work - not something as simple as it sounds (I've some (wasted) personal experience of one of them!).

I strongly suspect, from his 'wtf' questions that while RtH may be capable of creating an app to process a competition to some extent, he hasn't go much of a clue about the 'whole' 'Club/Handicap Management' environment. VPAR has certainly shown the benefits of (and some issues with) real-time scoring! But that isn't a Congu format application!

Btw. HDID is not the base software. It's (merely?) the Internet Report Publishing (Back End) side of ClubVI (previously Club2000?). Unlike IG and HndicapMaster which are both Internet Based, the core database resides (or at least used to, as I'm rather out-of-date) on a Club PC/Server.

But, as I stated in the reply to RtH, the change to World Handicap System will change things - a lot!
ClubV1 is 'Internet Based'.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

There will no longer be a CSS calculation but a Playing Conditions Calculation which will all scores returned on that day. All appropriate scores will be uploaded to a new central system where handicap changes will be calculated and the results sent back to the clubs.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
ClubV1 is 'Internet Based'.
I thought that might be the case - now! My experience was with Club2000 - quite a while ago!

Btw. I'm pretty certain NWJ's post was about the attributes of the current (Congu) environment, not the WHS.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Good, maybe we can be like our US cousins and post scores direct via an app 😉

There will no longer be a CSS calculation but a Playing Conditions Calculation which will all scores returned on that day. All appropriate scores will be uploaded to a new central system where handicap changes will be calculated and the results sent back to the clubs.
It would seem not! Still need to have a way to (at least/perhaps only format) the base scores, then load (via the proprietary software) the returned (Post PCC) data into the Club's database.

So RtH still needs to answer my oft repeated question about loading into the proprietary system - or admit he hadn't considered that (no shame there!).

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
... Being 'long-sighted' with the contact lenses I wear for golf makes it difficult - even when it's dull.

Am curious SILH, can you read the little pencil numbers okay with your lenses in?
I am close to taking some glasses out to re-adjust my sight back especially for scorecard checking.
On the phone, most of the time I can zoom/expand if I do want to look at it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If we can have electronic input to replace cards. It still leaves the problem more serious problem of white calf length socks.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My card does not get wet. I use a score card holder. If it is damp, no worries, I don't use a pencil anyway, I use a fischer AG7 biro, you know, the one that went to the moon. The one the Russians used too. It writes on anything, even in zero gravity.

The Russians did not use pencils. They bought American AG7s.

D

Deleted member 15344

14 pages, and folk wonder why some clubs are stuck in the dark ages, a quick browse of this topic and they might understand why.
Is a pen and pencil dark ages now ? Or an appropriate use of equipment for the required job

Basic job at times requires just the simple basic tools.

User20204

Visit site
It's not that it isn't up to the job however reading through the topic the manner in which stick-in-the-muds just don't seem to want to embrace change but I guess that typical of human nature not liking change.