Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
...but to what benefit? Other than to sate the appetite of tech-lovers. Tell me a benefit relating to recording your score - just one - that an eGizmo has over a card and pencil.
I think it would save the club/comp sec a lot of time in card entering by automating the process. So for clubs with only a small committee it could be a great time-saving device.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think it would save the club/comp sec a lot of time in card entering by automating the process. So for clubs with only a small committee it could be a great time-saving device.
If everybody in the competition field were using electronic device then I'd agree 100% but when it'll still be split between electronic and pencil then surely it's more work. Again it boils down to if/when the total transition is made

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely this simply undermines the validity of the competition and knackers the CSS? One reason I never look at a leader board (when we have one) before I go out.

I joined the afternoon crew once. bogey day. There was a -7 already in !!!! (or is it +7) anyhoo, made me aim at the flags. i was actually -6 at one point with 6 or 7 holes to go. Ended up -5, but it changed my way of playing that day for sure. And another thing, would the Pro's not bother either. LOL.

Back to topic. Why buy a new gadit? SMART PHONES !!!! AND APPS !!!!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you watch a tv show from 20 years ago and look how backward everything looks now, the tech being used etc then you can not really put a timescale on this so far in advance. Tech is progressing so quickly year on year now that it will not really be an issue shortly. Personally I tend to think a simple app is the answer to this rather than individual devices and apps are relatively simple to knock out if the will is there. I happen to agree that this is not going to happen tomorrow or next year but it will start to creep in shortly and it wil be way faster than 20yrs away.

YESSSSSSSS !!!! I'm surprised howdiddydo aren't looking at this already. They should be if they are a forward looking company.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What's an eGizmo?

it's a generic term for electronic gizmos

Still not hearing much in the way of benefits of such over a card and pencil - whether it is specific to scoring or an app on a Smart phone,

Besides - with my eyesight I'd have to be using voice input to do the score recording as text on phone screens are pretty illegible to me - in general I struggle to read the text and struggle to type. Next you know I'd be getting told to buy a newer, bigger and better phone...no thankyou - my iPhone 5s works fine for me.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
it's a generic term for electronic gizmos

Still not hearing much in the way of benefits of such over a card and pencil - whether it is specific to scoring or an app on a Smart phone,
Can only assume you haven't read any of the posts then?

Besides - with my eyesight I'd have to be using voice input to do the score recording as text on phone screens are pretty illegible to me - in general I struggle to read the text and struggle to type.
What a daft argument. The way I envision it, the device would allow you to pick what hole you're on (or even auto-advance to the next one), then have a massive keypad for you to hit '4' or '5' or '13'. I'm sure you could manage this level of data entry. Not so much 'reading and typing', more 'looking and pressing a button'.

D

Deleted member 15344

I joined the afternoon crew once. bogey day. There was a -7 already in !!!! (or is it +7) anyhoo, made me aim at the flags. i was actually -6 at one point with 6 or 7 holes to go. Ended up -5, but it changed my way of playing that day for sure. And another thing, would the Pro's not bother either. LOL.

Back to topic. Why buy a new gadit? SMART PHONES !!!! AND APPS !!!!
What if you don’t have a smart phone which is a situation for many golfers ?

It’s not really that time consuming at the end of the day - check a number of cards , make its signed , right handicap etc - doesn’t take too long

Biggest issues we have is people putting in the wrong info on the PSI - even simple things like putting SB points down as gross scores. Doesn’t take much for the wrong number to be pressed etc. The only issues we have with cards are not being signed

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no idea what the cost is of continually reprinting scorecards, I don't run a golf club do I? But I would say you only have to buy the devices once and they should last several years, which may offset against the cost of reprinting new cards regularly.
£70 wont buy you a waterproof jacket never mind a device.
Plus chargers room to store and charge them .
Fixing a non problem

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
£70 wont buy you a waterproof jacket never mind a device.
Plus chargers room to store and charge them .
Fixing a non problem
I happen to be in the same camp as you. Maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy middle aged man but I really don't see a need for an electronic device. I have no doubt it'll happen, but still remain to be convinced there will be 100% take up rate for an electronic version whether that an app on a phone or a stand alone device.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I happen to be in the same camp as you. Maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy middle aged man but I really don't see a need for an electronic device. I have no doubt it'll happen, but still remain to be convinced there will be 100% take up rate for an electronic version whether that an app on a phone or a stand alone device.

...and until everyone in a comp is using one you'll not have a hole-by-hole leaderboard available - that being a new benefit (for some) that can't currently be provided. But it's a solution to a different need - and it's not a need that is universally felt.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Because there is no point talking to you, you're fixated on using made up numbers to force home your, point of view . Youre relentless.
Hang on!

You asked him a specific question - about max # of players at any one time. He answered it perfectly reasonably (imo). but (seemingly) because you don't like the answer, you go into a hissy fit and accuse him of 'forcing home' his pov!

Seems to me IT's YOU that is 'forcing their' (blinkered) pov!! At least in this case!

Btw. My course has 9 min tee times and it takes 270 mins to play, either as a 4-ball social or 3-ball comp groups. That's 30 groups - so 90 golfers at any time.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Hang on!

You asked him a specific question - about max # of players at any one time. He answered it perfectly reasonably (imo). but (seemingly) because you don't like the answer, you go into a hissy fit and accuse him of 'forcing home' his pov!

Seems to me IT's YOU that is 'forcing their' (blinkered) pov!! At least in this case!

Btw. My course has 9 min tee times and it takes 270 mins to play, either as a 4-ball social or 3-ball comp groups. That's 30 groups - so 90 golfers at any time.

LP's course is quite different in only averaging as little as 27 scorecards used per day. If weekend comps are busy as with most courses your really talking about single figure scorecard use through the weekdays
The course capacity there is rarely achieved anyway so I can understand why a cost effective electronic card would be much further down the road for his particular situation

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I was referring to his constant quoting 1000s of pounds.

Nothing like jumping in Ill informed.
So how much do you estimate per device?

And for, say, 120 of them? That would be the minimum needed to guarantee a full course of working devices. Seems, to me, that '1000s of pounds' is pretty appropriate!

Yep! Nothing like jumping in ill informed - from not 'doing the math'!

Of course, it would be possible - desirable even - to only have 1 device per group, so that would significantly reduce the nomber - down to 40 (say). but that still represents a couple of thousand pounds of investment that is pretty much unjustifiable imo. And it means someone has to 'be responsible' for all the scores in the group - not particularly desirable and definitely not a reflection of how current responsibilities work!

Another aspect, that I don't believe you've considered is how it would interfaces to (ALL!) the recognised Congu authorised systems to 'upload' the actual results!! Is that another example of (you) 'jumping in ill informed'?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
what is the point in having something that does something exactly the same at more than ten times the cost - scorecard is how much - 10p at most ?

Totally with you on this one!

And scorecards need not cost anything (or can even be a source of - small - profit) if a local company can be enticed to advertise on them!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can only assume you haven't read any of the posts then?

What a daft argument. The way I envision it, the device would allow you to pick what hole you're on (or even auto-advance to the next one), then have a massive keypad for you to hit '4' or '5' or '13'. I'm sure you could manage this level of data entry. Not so much 'reading and typing', more 'looking and pressing a button'.

All the benefits that have been stated in previous posts seem to relate to the comp organiser and not the player - and as far as I can see most if not all of the 'benefits' to the comp organiser have been challenged. Some benefits above and beyond the need to record a player's score on each hole have been stated for devices - but these are new nice-to-have 'needs' and nothing to do with score recording.

The only benefit I can see to using a device to record a player's score is that it won't get soggy and unusable when wet (assumin gthe device can be kept dry). Even then - when it looks like rain I always carry one or two additional cards with me.

And I agree - a device could certainly display the Hole Number in font big enough for me to see it, and enable me to easily swipe through numbers until I get to the score I want to enter. Though I suspect correcting mistakes might still be a bit of a fiddle and not so easily enabled simply through use of large font.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If you watch a tv show from 20 years ago and look how backward everything looks now, the tech being used etc

And yet the police officers still all use notebooks, doctors still make notes, nurses still fill out charts and the RNLI still record positions using paper charts and compasses, despite all this tech. Maybe it’s not all it’s cracked up to be...:unsure:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
And yet the police officers still all use notebooks, doctors still make notes, nurses still fill out charts and the RNLI still record positions using paper charts and compasses, despite all this tech. Maybe it’s not all it’s cracked up to be...:unsure:

Not exactly what you would call 'well funded' bodies though are they :cry: