Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, don't actually see a need to ditch the card & pencil, but have to say that as of now, am neither for nor against doing it by "technology".

But a question... I have a smartphone, so no issue with loading a suitable app. (We'll cross the bridge of me not being able to see my damn screen in daylight when we have to). So whose score am I recording & entering into the app? Mine or my F/C's? (obviously, as of now, it's his card I've got in my pocket).

And a secondary question,; when it comes to "submitting" the score (or whatever will be the phrase) who submits what? Does my F/C submit my score? Or does he send me a copy, which I then submit? Or do I do everything myself - ie record my own score, verify it & submit it? If this latter, seems very easily open to abuse?
This is what I was thinking earlier. If players are running the app on their own phones, it would have to be set up with a server so all players can login, then the competition sec or somebody has entered the groups in, so the app can decide who is recording whose score within the app that day.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The obvious answer is to have a screen on each tee.
When you complete the hole you all put your score in the screen witnessed by your marker then carry on.
This is sent back to the main hub in the clubhouse.
It would have the benefit of showing who the slow playing groups are as it records your scores and time on each hole.
But would have to be waterproof ,vandal proof ,fireproof, and everything else proof where I play.
Or just a card given to each player.

This would take footfall from the pro shop and affect business imo.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The obvious answer is to have a screen on each tee.
When you complete the hole you all put your score in the screen witnessed by your marker then carry on.
This is sent back to the main hub in the clubhouse.
It would have the benefit of showing who the slow playing groups are as it records your scores and time on each hole.
But would have to be waterproof ,vandal proof ,fireproof, and everything else proof where I play.
Or just a card given to each player.

This would take footfall from the pro shop and affect business imo.

I agree, the device remaining in situ would be a problem on a lot of courses I have played at.

User20204

Visit site
IT ain't broke, why fix it.

You mean like before remote controls for TV's or before mobile phones, nothing wrong with phone boxes and what about following overhead direction signs on motorways, how dare they bring in sat navs and what could possible be wrong with the 150 marker post on the side of the fairway, why would anyone need a watch or rangefinder when we have them.

D

Deleted member 1147

What if you are filling out your paper scorecard and a bolt of lightning strikes it and sets it on fire?

You would then have no way of recording and returning a score!
You just fill in another card when you get out of hospital 🙄

D

Deleted member 15344

🤣🤣some of the replies are plain ridiculous .

Just Make digital scoring available via an app for those who want.
Easy
It’s not that “easy” though is it - you now have created more work for the Handicap Sec because you have two different methods of entering the scores - in one group say just one wants to use online then other the nice simple paper method it’s not a simple thing to do.

By just saying it’s easy doesn’t actually mean it is easy to do.

So If I’m right you still haven’t answered

What is the benefit of doing it online compared to the scorecard that makes the cost implications worthwhile - what is the real world benefit.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s not that “easy” though is it - you now have created more work for the Handicap Sec because you have two different methods of entering the scores - in one group say just one wants to use online then other the nice simple paper method it’s not a simple thing to do.

By just saying it’s easy doesn’t actually mean it is easy to do.

So If I’m right you still haven’t answered

What is the benefit of doing it online compared to the scorecard that makes the cost implications worthwhile - what is the real world benefit.

...and if you can have eGizmo as an alternative to pencil and card, then one of the 'benefits' claimed for eGizmo - viz - live scoring and leaderboard - is lost.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't have thought you make the golfers buy the devices. The cost of them would surely be taken on by the club, and they keep the devices locked up somewhere between rounds.

We have at least 70 tee times per day per course that equates to 210 tee times and if all slots are taken could amount to 840 players. That would be a lot of chargers to plug in if you could find enough sockets to plug them in to!!! :eek:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
This will be in place within 3 years. Great idea. I cannot understand the negativity towards it. I would not have a live leader board though. We had a p[rblem with that at my last place. Player out in the afternoon wouldn't bother to play in the comp if a good score was already in. THey'd just chuck the balls up and have a knock

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I can remember using a slate and hammer and chisel for scoring, boy was I glad when cards and pencils were invented.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You mean like before remote controls for TV's or before mobile phones, nothing wrong with phone boxes and what about following overhead direction signs on motorways, how dare they bring in sat navs and what could possible be wrong with the 150 marker post on the side of the fairway, why would anyone need a watch or rangefinder when we have them.
Oh i like my watch. But i know how to use it. Glance at watch, 170 yds. Forum wedge, bang and left 100 yards short. 👍

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
For our Betterballs and am ams we use an app called golf genius. It’s all linked into the shop tv.

For stroke play we use the traditional lead and papyrus.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The conclusion to all this technology is just send your robot to play for you and stay in bed.
Technology is a good thing but it dosnt have to replace everything!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We’ve been looking at the IG live scoring as a club. Personally, I’m not interested in it. You still need to fill in a physical card and confirm your score on the club terminals. Frankly, I’ve got enough going on with my golf that I don’t need to worry about anyone else’s score.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Do you think GPS devices are getting cheaper or more expensive?

8 years ago a basic one was around £150 - equivalent is now around £250

That device you suggest is lovely , right now they cost around £1k to put into buggies , a smaller one is around £500 - so every member will need one - who pays for it ? Even if it’s just 200 numbers that’s nearly £10k for something which changes what exactly ? Replaced a bit of paper and pencil which prob cost around 10pence

For the same price as one of those devices you have a years worth of scorecards.

All the technology does exist and right now golfers can chose if they want to use it because it’s not cheap

One of the biggest hurdles in golf is cost - one of the biggest things the clubs have to juggle is cost so what does adding these devices do for the sport beyond bringing up the cost ?
Decades away from making a electronic device cheaper than a paper scorecard and pencil.

And then the expectation that every single golfer is “tech savvy” - just go to a golf club during a Comp and see how many struggle with just taping numbers on a big PSI and see how many give up - average around 20 per Comp - and people think it will be easier for them to use an even smaller screen ?!

Honestly you're so fixated on thinking up (any) reasons against change its preventing you giving it fair consideration

200 devices! :ROFLMAO: Golf clubs don't have 200 buggy's do they, because 200 players cant play at the same time.
So as a minimum just one per group would do wouldn't it, so to double the capacity of groups on a course at any one time then its less than 40 devices (that's even assuming that a bespoke device is the most cost effective over apps etc, I just presented it as an option)
Basic tablets/mobile handsets are getting knocked out for way way less than £500 a unit, jeez 3 years ago I bought a brand new LG g4 smartphone for £79, trade price will be way less but there's other options if you are only prepared to consider it...

What about this; some forward thinking gal/bloke realises that older smartphones (using much of their existing processors necessary to function as a golf scorecard unit) can be reconditioned and configured to do much of what I suggested. Costs would be slashed. There are literally millions of unused smartphone handsets that could be adapted and not just for golf courses, (you'd probably even get a gov grant for the business because you're recycling!)

I know I'm wasting my time typing this but hey ho

D

Deleted member 15344

Honestly you're so fixated on thinking up (any) reasons against change its preventing you giving it fair consideration

200 devices! :ROFLMAO: Golf clubs don't have 200 buggy's do they, because 200 players cant play at the same time.
So as a minimum just one per group would do wouldn't it, so to double the capacity of groups on a course at any one time then its less than 40 devices (that's even assuming that a bespoke device is the most cost effective over apps etc, I just presented it as an option)

Each player is required by Rules of Golf to have a Scorecard - so at a big comp where its 180 plus people entering then its a device each , unless you think one person should hold all the cards ? Or did you propose handing the device aorund between the group whilst they are playing - i can imagine that will help with pace of play.

So 200 hundred would be about right for a small club of around 400 playing members - some clubs have two courses- thats double the number again .

Basic tablets/mobile handsets are getting knocked out for way way less than £500 a unit, jeez 3 years ago I bought a brand new LG g4 smartphone for £79, trade price will be way less but there's other options if you are only prepared to consider it...

What about this; some forward thinking gal/bloke realises that older smartphones (using much of their existing processors necessary to function as a golf scorecard unit) can be reconditioned and configured to do much of what I suggested. Costs would be slashed. There are literally millions of unused smartphone handsets that could be adapted and not just for golf courses, (you'd probably even get a gov grant for the business because you're recycling!)

I know I'm wasting my time typing this but hey ho

But you didnt say "basic" though did you - you showed a picture of the buggy tablet ( which is a £1k ) and then suggested a smaller one to do

Why couldn’t this device be, handheld, pocket sized, weather proof, battery powered. Loaded with Rules app, local rules, ball search timer, halfway house snack pre-order software, GPS pace of play warnings, multiplayer scorecard (with safeguards over inputting), player handicap stroke information, hole distance GPS, leader boards, matchplay scoring. Able to be remotely locked if not returned on day of use, contact alerts with clubhouse for medical emergencies, anti-glare touchscreen, able to download 40,000 courses and a dozen other things

And you think that can be done cheap ? A basic GPS which does half that is close to £300

So when you comapre it to roughly 30,000 scorecards ( which will last 3-5 years ) at about £1k its clear to see what the winner is in regards cost and ease of use , plus quicker to use , safer for the environment , use in all weather , use for comp and social play ,

Its really hard to find a reason that makes something better than the good old paper and be cost effective