Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

D

Deleted member 15344

True, the environmental impact would need to be assessed but on a national of global scale the reduction in use of disposable assets could be a benefit.

With regards weather, electronics that hold up to the elements are pretty much common now, not hard to waterproof a chip or whole device.

With regards speed, I was looking more at downloading via a tap with an NFC enabled device after a round rather than typing scores into a computer.

Damage is not an issue, easy to have a device than can take a drop.

As for cost, it would take an annual cost away from the club and pass a small, one off cost on to each member. Many clubs would be thankful to remove an annual cost from the budget.

Many people see the benefit of technology over using outdated methods such as paper and pencil.

Waterproofing , hard cases to prevent damages, etc etc all adds up in the cost of a device

And to buy these devices for all members will cost how much - even if it’s £100-150 per devices that’s over £20k as a “one off cost” of just for 200 members - that’s 20 years of score cards - and then it’s not just a one off cost is it. Electronic devices don’t last forever , they need to be maintained, possibly licensed as well , I suspect after 5 years they will start to drop in performance

And you really think the members would be happy for a “small one off cost” for something that the good old pencil and paper does the job for them ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well so far no one has produced a valid reason for why it can't or shouldn't be done.
I run my life via the internet, almost totally paperless, banking, shopping, insurance, doctors, pay slips etc...

But some how we can't add up 18 numbers for a bunch of golfers 🤣🤣🤣
And some golfers cant even read club rules on changing, dress codes etc ec, so if they can't read a few workds how do you expect them to operate a bit of tech?

As I understand it, the top 10 scores for all comps/medals have the cards corss referenced with the inputted score to make sure nothing is untoward. I ocnsider that a good thing, since there's some who knowingly manipulate their hcp for any amount of reasons.

D

Deleted member 15344

Or download a free app 😉

As for the cost, you're just pulling meaningless numbers out of the air.
You've no idea how much the devices would cost. Seeing as you can buy a new phone for less than a pound id be surprised if it were expensive

Free App ? Sorry but if it’s free app then it’s full of adverts and a phone for a £1 ?! Really ? Which phone is that

D

Deleted member 15344

Why does free = ads ?
Because that’s what I see on 99% of free apps , someone somewhere will need to pay for the App to be developed. All the golf systems that we use have a yearly subscription in the thousands - why would an APP be free

And then it needs to go on a device - is that free as well ?

And this phone for a £1 ? Not really a smart phone capable of what’s being suggested is it

sunshine

Visit site
I am the comp sec at our club and after each comp I count the returned cards see if they are signed etc etc.

I think that this could be done electronically, with electronic signatures, saving the need for players to input their score on the main terminal and comp secs the time in counting cards and time in finding out who hasn't returned a card.

Would this method be allowed under the current CONGU rules, and if so has any clubs used this method or thinking about it?

I have often thought the comp sec has a laborious and unnecessary job, wading through all the scorecards when the info has already been entered in the scoring system.

Surely it would be easy to add functionality to the PSI terminal whereby the both the marker and player need to confirm the score on the screen prior to submitting. The score in the PSI should be the official record, and the paper (or electronic or whatever) scorecard can be binned.

People are lazy with entering scores electronically because they know someone else is going to check their scorecard, it would be different if this became the only official record. Everyone manages to use a cash point ok.

The next step, an electronic scorecard, isn't going to happen for a while.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you bring cost into it there is only one winner - the paper scorecard , far far cheaper to produce a score card than it is an electronic device that will do the same job - it costs us about £1k for a couple years worth of score cards.

Better for the environment? What does it take to produce all these electronic devices - are they all totally clean

Weather - electronics and water , Cold , heat , frost all have their issues

And far quicker to type than write a number ? Really ?

What happens when you drop it on a hard service perhaps - how easily are electronic devices damaged

Basically some people love technology and want it everywhere in their life - they aren’t the majority

...and because of glare I found that I could not read my (not very smart) phone - when I tried to use it as a stopwatch. Being 'long-sighted' with the contact lenses I wear for golf makes it difficult - even when it's dull.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't have thought you make the golfers buy the devices. The cost of them would surely be taken on by the club, and they keep the devices locked up somewhere between rounds.

We regularly have 140 members playing in our medals...and 150 signed up for 1st round of Club Champs in two weeks time - and there would have to be one each.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
True, the environmental impact would need to be assessed but on a national of global scale the reduction in use of disposable assets could be a benefit.

With regards weather, electronics that hold up to the elements are pretty much common now, not hard to waterproof a chip or whole device.

With regards speed, I was looking more at downloading via a tap with an NFC enabled device after a round rather than typing scores into a computer.

Damage is not an issue, easy to have a device than can take a drop.

As for cost, it would take an annual cost away from the club and pass a small, one off cost on to each member. Many clubs would be thankful to remove an annual cost from the budget.

Many people see the benefit of technology over using outdated methods such as paper and pencil.

What on earth is outdated about it...it is an appropriate and simple solution to a need - recording a score. Come up with additional needs and then the scorecard may not fit the bill.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's a phone for a pound, used to demonstrate that technology is cheap and the cost isn't the barrier you'd pretend it would be.

I already use howdidido app for all comp bookings etc , the ads in that are perfectly acceptable and and additional score card function would be easily added.

I'm not for a second suggesting a sudden switch to a electronic system, but there are plenty who would welcome it and it could easily work alongside the current system.
It's just sad that attitudes like yours exist and are unwilling to accept change.
Although in your specific case I think it's more about taking the contrary view and getting embroiled in a back and forth post count accumulator.

Attitudes like mine ?!

Do you mean being against adding further cost into a sport that is already expensive and doesn’t enhance the sport enough to justify the extra cost

As already stated we have mobile scoring turned on - people can enter their score on their mobile as well as a scorecard and then accept it on the PSI - no one uses it , everyone just uses the scorecard.

Have you ever been involved in comps or the it systems that administer them ? I have - for a significant period , I brought in IG to the club and 4 years down the line people are still struggling with it now.

Maybe when you realise that there are many members of clubs that’s just aren’t as tech savvy as you and struggle even just putting scores into a PSI

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We regularly have 140 members playing in our medals...and 150 signed up for 1st round of Club Champs in two weeks time - and there would have to be one each.
Well no, one device per group where you put all three/four players' scores in would probably work. But I still agree it would be quite an expense for the club, that's what I said initially.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This will probably come in sometime but I would rather stick with scorecard and pencil.

You can’t go anywhere without someone on a phone, walking down a busy street, on buses, trains restaurants, even whilst driving, noticed Alli txting at the match yesterday,what about watching the game instead?

No keep them off a golf course I say.

On another thread someone mentioned they would use a phone on a course to see what results happened in big sporting events, why? can it not wait a couple of hours?

If this came into use you can be sure that some people would use it to send and receive txts.

Christ I sound like that old boy off Mum which I’ve been told I’m getting to resemble 😂

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There is no need to buy devices . Allow those who want use smartphones. Those who don't stick with what they know. I think if a system were put in place it would soon gain popularity. Even possibly amongst the change is bad brigade

Change is not bad per se - but if it not necessary then it can be counter-productive and frustrating. Find a new need then propose a new tech-based solution.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well no, one device per group where you put all three/four players' scores in would probably work. But I still agree it would be quite an expense for the club, that's what I said initially.

But how would that work. We'd be handing the gizmo around between us? Nice idea but just no need for it.

When I see someone selling the idea on the Dragon's Den and a Dragon goes for it then I'll maybe change my mind..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But how would that work. We'd be handing the gizmo around between us? Nice idea but just no need for it.

When I see someone selling the idea on the Dragon's Den and a Dragon goes for it then I'll maybe change my mind..
I figured one person could enter all four scores for their. Would need a way to verify the score-enterer wasn't fiddling his own scores though I suppose. Maybe you need two devices per group.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When something or someone becomes redundant, what it or they provide is no longer required - it is not that it or they can be replaced by something else that does the same job more cheaply with few, if any, additional benefits :)

It's taken me this long to get around to the idea that I will (probably) buy a GPS or laser gizmo, for I did not accept the need for such a device. But today I can see that it would be useful to me in some circumstances; that it will provide me with a benefit that I cannot simply and quickly glean from what I can see with my own two eyes.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, don't actually see a need to ditch the card & pencil, but have to say that as of now, am neither for nor against doing it by "technology".

But a question... I have a smartphone, so no issue with loading a suitable app. (We'll cross the bridge of me not being able to see my damn screen in daylight when we have to). So whose score am I recording & entering into the app? Mine or my F/C's? (obviously, as of now, it's his card I've got in my pocket).

And a secondary question,; when it comes to "submitting" the score (or whatever will be the phrase) who submits what? Does my F/C submit my score? Or does he send me a copy, which I then submit? Or do I do everything myself - ie record my own score, verify it & submit it? If this latter, seems very easily open to abuse?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
During the height of the space race in the 1960s, legend has it, NASA scientists realized that pens could not function in space. They needed to figure out another way for the astronauts to write things down. So they spent years and millions of taxpayer dollars to develop a pen that could put ink to paper without gravity. But their crafty Soviet counterparts, so the story goes, simply handed their cosmonauts pencils.

I believe this may well be an urban myth - but you get my point!!
The last line was ,after spending all that money the humble biro worked perfectly as it dosnt need gravity.
So like this thread spend loads of money fixing a problem that dosnt exist.
What we going to say in the future. “ I go to pieces when I get a digital scoring recorder in my hands”?.?