Why am I so ambivalent about golf gloves??

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Just sorting out my "proper" bag for my trip to the links next week and I am very low on gloves. I am fussy as heck about most pieces of equipment, but gloves? Just buy what I see cheapest of the right level of quality. I've tried some cheapies off EBay, one lot split on the 2nd hole, so no more of that!

Got some Strickland on the way from my "Costco-Nuts" Brother in Law. Cabretta, he says they are very good... about £7 each in sets of 4. Last batch I got on line were Srixon Premium, forget how much I paid..

I know one of our number says we only wear them because we see it on telly... but what about everyone else? Are you equally unfussy? Where are the bargains?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have pathetically soft hands, come on, you are all picturing Tom Baker in Blackadder mode right now :LOL:, and so without a glove I would have blisters, I'd struggle to finish a round and when warm the club would slip. For me, a glove is essential.

I don't go leather, horrible once wet, I'm happy with a pretty generic synthetic one. My usual go to is a basic Mizuno glove, frequently on offer at AG when I'm at the till. I think I'm currently using a FJ one, but it is their base model version, nothing fancy. I think I got it on a two for one offer as I know I have one laying around for April, the new season, and I wouldn't buy a new one at full price just to lay around.

Both the Mizuno and FJ ones last very well, 6-9 months per glove. I suspect my buy price is £7 max per glove but frequently less on various deals. Mfrs will not get rich off me

(just checked, AG no longer stock Mizuno gloves so it shows how long since I've bought some. I'd be getting the Stromberg, 3 for £15 (y))

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
Just sorting out my "proper" bag for my trip to the links next week and I am very low on gloves. I am fussy as heck about most pieces of equipment, but gloves? Just buy what I see cheapest of the right level of quality. I've tried some cheapies off EBay, one lot split on the 2nd hole, so no more of that!

Got some Strickland on the way from my "Costco-Nuts" Brother in Law. Cabretta, he says they are very good... about £7 each in sets of 4. Last batch I got on line were Srixon Premium, forget how much I paid..

I know one of our number says we only wear them because we see it on telly... but what about everyone else? Are you equally unfussy? Where are the bargains?

If I am going to the range (which I seldom do..) or playing a practice round or v casual 9 holes, I will use cheap gloves…about £8

If I’m playing a medal or where I want to play well and am taking it seriously I will use full leather gloves..Most brands call them ‘Tour’ - they’re about £15 or so…totally worth it IMO

I don’t use gloves for chipping / short pitch’s and I take them off as soon as I’ve hit the ball on drives ans iron shots, purely because I don’t want to sweat in them and want to preserve the life of them

Full leather golf gloves are definitely worth it IMO

evemccc

Visit site
I have pathetically soft hands, come on, you are all picturing Tom Baker in Blackadder mode right now :LOL:, and so without a glove I would have blisters, I'd struggle to finish a round and when warm the club would slip. For me, a glove is essential.

I don't go leather, horrible once wet, I'm happy with a pretty generic synthetic one. My usual go to is a basic Mizuno glove, frequently on offer at AG when I'm at the till. I think I'm currently using a FJ one, but it is their base model version, nothing fancy. I think I got it on a two for one offer as I know I have one laying around for April, the new season, and I wouldn't buy a new one at full price just to lay around.

Both the Mizuno and FJ ones last very well, 6-9 months per glove. I suspect my buy price is £7 max per glove but frequently less on various deals. Mfrs will not get rich off me :D

Yes - leather gloves get wrecked if wet and so I always have a synthetic glove and Macwets in my bag, and will change into them at the first sighting of inclement weather

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/is-golf-now-too-expensive.113944/page-7#post-2587880 et al.

Just my opinion and preference but took a lot of stick from the usual suspects for expressing a view that went against their conditioning ;). Hands soon adapt.

And don't forget, a glove is equivalent to 2 or 3 layers of tape so may affect your shot if no allowance was made in the fitting of the grip :unsure: Another reason why it's no glove or two gloves for me. As for using the putting the glove on as part of the pre-shot routine ...

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I don’t use gloves for chipping / short pitch’s and I take them off as soon as I’ve hit the ball on drives ans iron shots, purely because I don’t want to sweat in them and want to preserve the life of them
I do exactly the same, but for 8 iron down to LW. I just find it psychologically advantageous as I don't try and smash the granny out of a 100 yd shot if I'm not wearing a glove! And I never putt with one on!
As for which glove and what kind, winter it's all weather, summer it's leather as more breathable.
I have weirdly small hands, and I've found that most small gloves still don't quite fit right, with the exception of Srixon small. Don't care about the price, just the fit.
Thankfully, you can pick up the Srixons for under a tenner.

D

Deleted member 1147

I went years without wearing one, so now, assuming it fits well, I'm not much bothered about which ones I use.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I do exactly the same, but for 8 iron down to LW. I just find it psychologically advantageous as I don't try and smash the granny out of a 100 yd shot if I'm not wearing a glove! And I never putt with one on!
As for which glove and what kind, winter it's all weather, summer it's leather as more breathable.
I have weirdly small hands, and I've found that most small gloves still don't quite fit right, with the exception of Srixon small. Don't care about the price, just the fit.
Thankfully, you can pick up the Srixons for under a tenner.

I'd be surprised if these in small didn't fit you, they're tiny, I had to change to medium
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154795894736

Really good gloves, too. I like black ones (look at my Forum name!) I've thrown white gloves away before because they were dirty. Don't have that problem with black ones.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
always use a rain glove, even when it's dry.

The GX Rain gloves are pretty good value at £24 for 3 of them....and they last a long time too

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I used to hate wearing gloves and spent over a year without. You get lots of calluses without them and if you have dry skin that could lead to crack a sores.

I’m the opposite of you in that the thumb always twists at the tip on the gloves I wear and I can really feel it to a distraction. I found zoom tour gloves which are on size fits all and they are an excellent fit. The tour ones are hard to get hold of but the cheaper synthetic rain ones wear very easily.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I use FJ Weathersof....I wait until I've opened my last one and look around for a deal on a 3 or 4 pack.
I'm not that hard on synthetic gloves but I can go through a leather one in a couple of rounds... don't ask, I dont know...
It goes on at the first tee and comes off after the 18th green...can't be having this on, off, on, off business..
It's what you're used to, I dare say I could play exactly the same shot glove or no glove....it's psychological.
And I wear my "Golfer's Glove" tan line with pride....:cool:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think I've tried all the main brands, but myglove of choice is the Srixon Cabretta leather, hard wearing and comfortable. My 2nd choice would be the UNDER ARMOUR.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I buy at the cheap end, sometimes on ebay and sometimes in Sports Direct.

Sometimes they are great some, times not and some times awful* but when you are only paying £3-4 a glove it is easy to keep the awful ones for range and practice or as prizes in raffles.

*Some have just been to thick to use and others have fallen apart after just one round.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Used to be Callaway all weather but sponsor commitments mean its now UA
Also use mizuno if its not a comp

Won't entertain any FJ products