Why am I so ambivalent about golf gloves??

RichA

Visit site
@RichA stretch, but will they split? Have you used this make before?
I bought similar but a different "brand" during the summer. They were size large and quickly became a bit baggy, but I'm still using them.
I wore these (size M/L) at the range today for 20 minutes and they've already stretched to the perfect size. They're leather, so a little stretching early on is normal, I guess.

Smoj

Visit site
used to wear FJ weathersof but the last 3 golves have ripped on the top of the thumb after 1 round, i idea how, i suppose it's the synthetic part of the glove

during the winter i wear the FJ rain glove(s), even if its not raining, keeps the hands a little warmer, and you can whipe the club face with it after a shot and not worry too much about runing the leather.

my other go-to glove is the FJ HyperFLX all the comfort of the weathersof but its 10 times as durable and its Cabretta Leather too

Smoj

Visit site
I am also totally ambivalent on brand of glove. This thread reminded me I needed some new gloves and I just bought 4: FJ, under armour, callaway, mizuno.

This seemed a good deal for £6. May turn out to be rubbish but I only bought it to take me over the threshold for free delivery:
Mizuno Comp Golf Glove G19COMPMLP – Clarkes Golf

i was just looking at them, as i realised i lost my glove after a round today... in the end i just bought a new hyperflx to replace the one i lost o_O

sunshine

Visit site
i was just looking at them, as i realised i lost my glove after a round today... in the end i just bought a new hyperflx to replace the one i lost o_O
Yeah you can’t buy a mizuno glove when you’re head to toe titleist/footjoy ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I'm restricted to whatever the pro has in his shop. Gotta spend that credit on summat. Gloves, balls and shoes, mainly.
He seems to stock up a plenty on FJ Weathersofs (demand and supply) so that is the only glove I've worn for several years.
Never had a problem.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have pathetically soft hands, come on, you are all picturing Tom Baker in Blackadder mode right now :LOL:, and so without a glove I would have blisters, I'd struggle to finish a round and when warm the club would slip. For me, a glove is essential.

I don't go leather, horrible once wet, I'm happy with a pretty generic synthetic one. My usual go to is a basic Mizuno glove, frequently on offer at AG when I'm at the till. I think I'm currently using a FJ one, but it is their base model version, nothing fancy. I think I got it on a two for one offer as I know I have one laying around for April, the new season, and I wouldn't buy a new one at full price just to lay around.

Both the Mizuno and FJ ones last very well, 6-9 months per glove. I suspect my buy price is £7 max per glove but frequently less on various deals. Mfrs will not get rich off me

(just checked, AG no longer stock Mizuno gloves so it shows how long since I've bought some. I'd be getting the Stromberg, 3 for £15 (y))
Similar to this for me. Only time I've tried without a glove is something like Top Golf for example when we're just having a laugh, but even with a glove on I get small blisters so hate to think what it would be like without. I take the glove off for chipping, some pitches, and putting though. It's only on for full shots basically.

I also don't bother with leather ones. I much prefer the feel of the synthetic kind with the stretchy mesh panels on the back, much less sweaty that way. And I don't think a leather one provides any extra benefit over a good synthetic one. In Winter I tend to use a FJ rain grip one which are essentially suede I think - or if it's like 3° or less I'll use a pair of Wintersof, taking the right one off for full shots.

RichA

Visit site
This arrived, and it feels really cheap. What did I expect for £6? Of course, "nothing feels like a Mizuno".

This will be a range only glove.
With big hands but relatively short fingers, they were my go to glove until they stopped making them in a cadet size. They're cheap but they feel ok and last ages.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I used to just buy whatever is in the proshop. Tried playing without but my clammy hands lead to slipping all the time.

Tbh I find myself wearing the footjoy rain glove most often, even in summer, and its lasted about 20 months so far! I probably need a new pair now as the suede has worn smooth.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
For years I was a fan of the FJ Sciflex. Switched to the Callaway Dawn Patrol about 10 years ago when Costco used to sell them, excellent glove for the price, and still good value even though Costco no longer sell them. I believe the Kirkland glove is manufactured by Callaway, but I only tried one pack and they didn't fit well, took them back without using. Was using the Cobra Pur Tour for a bit until last season, again a very good glove for the price.

At the start of last season though, for some reason I can't remember, I stopped using a glove completely. Got some serious callouses for the first couple of months, but they soon disappeared, and I haven't really felt the need to use a glove since, well almost. I was in a comp at some point last year and it started raining really hard, for the last couple of holes I was unable to keep the grips dry for any longer and playing without a glove in those conditions was ridiculous, absolutely couldn't keep a grip on the clubs. My last leather glove is still in the pocket, unused, but I have put a pair of winter gloves in the bag for wet weather. Have played all winter with no gloves bar one occasion when it was seriously frozen. Not really thinking about going back to using a glove at the moment, but you never know, may get hit by another whim.

slimpickings14

Visit site
I'd love to hear your thoughts. I've started a golf brand and my core product is high quality designed golf gloves made from both PU leather and cabretta. I was bored of the gloves on offer at my local pro shop so I made my own. Disclaimer this isn't a sales pitch! I would love to know more about how my gloves are perceived and where I can improve.

I would love to know your thoughts on coloured gloves/pattern gloves in general. Also, check out the gloves I sell. What do you think of my designs & price point? What are the most important features or benefits you look for in golf gloves? Anything else you'd like to share I would welcome. freshgrip.co

I work a full-time job and run this on the side, just trying to build myself a good future in a sport I love. Cheers!