WHS

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Quick question re decimal points and rounding up/ down. If I get the exact/correct terminology wrong apologies but trust the experts will understand.

My handicap index equates to 18.8 (19) and I go to a Course with a slope rating of 133.

Would my my initial calculation 18.8 x133/113 OR 19x133/113 to calculate my Course Handicap.

What I need to know please when the decimal and whole numbers are used?

Perhaps if somebody could continue the above example for a Medal round(95%) it would be helpful and appreciated.

Many thanks

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quick question re decimal points and rounding up/ down. If I get the exact/correct terminology wrong apologies but trust the experts will understand.

My handicap index equates to 18.8 (19) and I go to a Course with a slope rating of 133.

Would my my initial calculation 18.8 x133/113 OR 19x133/113 to calculate my Course Handicap.

What I need to know please when the decimal and whole numbers are used?

Perhaps if somebody could continue the above example for a Medal round(95%) it would be helpful and appreciated.

Many thanks
Use your exact Handicap Index (ie 18.8)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the moment our roll ups aren’t counted as qualifiers, but if I play in the roll up and want my round to count as a supplementary then I register it beforehand as normal and one of the group marks a card for me. I cannot be given any putts - the others can - but not me. And if we are playing a little 4BBB match at the same time then I can’t be advised by my 4BBB match partner.

This issue is coming out of WHS. The club current interpretation of a roll up being a qualifying comp under WHS would kill the roll up as a group competition.

My comment relating to stableford was simply how you can score your strokeplay using stableford points. As you’d expect we don’t do that for medal rounds.
As I said, there is some ambiguity in the words relating to the committee's authority relating to general play 'competitions'. I'm hoping it will be resolved shortly.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At the moment our roll ups aren’t counted as qualifiers, but if I play in the roll up and want my round to count as a supplementary then I register it beforehand as normal and one of the group marks a card for me. I cannot be given any putts - the others can - but not me. And if we are playing a little 4BBB match at the same time then I can’t be advised by my 4BBB match partner.

This issue is coming out of WHS. The club current interpretation of a roll up being a qualifying comp under WHS would kill the roll up as a group competition.

My comment relating to stableford was simply how you can score your strokeplay using stableford points. As you’d expect we don’t do that for medal rounds.
As I understand it, it'll be exactly the same. So if you want to enter your round for handicap, you declare it beforehand. If you don't, then it's not a handicap round.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I
Bit of a debate in our four ball yesterday on WHS qualifying rounds. One of our number had been told by our golf manager that our Sat Roll Up score will count as a ‘qualifying’ Round towards our handicap index as it is a competition. Now the other three said that surely couldn’t be the case as roll up rounds are friendly capers much of the time with gentle distracting banter and various lengths gimmes and pickups throughout. How then can such a round count?

More to the point - we don’t want roll up rounds to count. We want them to ultimately not matter - and as soon as you make a round ’qualifying’ you immediately slow up pace of play and much of the ‘nonsense’ fun goes out of the round.

Could it be because, due to limited tee times at the moment, and a batch being reserved for the roll up - we have had to set up the roll up on our system as if it were a formal competition - which it isn’t. But our system might see it as such and so include scores for our Handicap Index?

We looked at this closely because we have a group who have a big roll up on a Friday we’re a few always moaned that they never had time to play in qualifying comps. After a discussion with the roll up organising team we have agreed that the last roll up of the month would be an official club qualifying comp run correctly. Nobody wants to stop social fun gold and the compromise has been accepted.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
@Old Skier
Much like our Seniors who play socially on a Monday. But the first in every month is a qualifier.

The WHS draft can be read in two ways.
1) The Committee may accept such 'regular' competition scores as acceptable for handicapping purposes by agreement with the competition organisers.
2) The Committee may deem them to be acceptable for handicapping purposes and insist that players return their scores.

The former would seem to match those examples and I hope that is what the draft means.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
@Old Skier
Much like our Seniors who play socially on a Monday. But the first in every month is a qualifier.

The WHS draft can be read in two ways.
1) The Committee may accept such 'regular' competition scores as acceptable for handicapping purposes by agreement with the competition organisers.
2) The Committee may deem them to be acceptable for handicapping purposes and insist that players return their scores.

The former would seem to match those examples and I hope that is what the draft means.
All about compromising, people still need social Golf, the reason most play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As I said, there is some ambiguity in the words relating to the committee's authority relating to general play 'competitions'. I'm hoping it will be resolved shortly.

OK - so it seems that a clubs management or it's competition/handicap committee should be able to declare such as our roll-up 'competition' to be general play and not a formal competition. Or alternatively a groups 'competition' organiser can decline a request or offer from the club for the competition to be a WHS qualifier. But the wrinkles in the differentiation and what a club can and cannot do are still getting ironed out. Good.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apparently the rule means that both clauses apply. Quite what happens if the organisers and the Committee disagree, is a question to which I have no answer.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2. I find it hilarious that the Playing Handicap Allowances Table is 'not to be shared with golfers'. How exactly do they play a Pairs Matchplay then? Just guess, maybe? Possibly Old Skier had a hand in this one. :)

Totally agree with you on that point but I noticed it is headed 'recommended' maybe we have to wait for the new CONGU manual for it to be confirmed as 'mandatory'.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apparently the rule means that both clauses apply. Quite what happens if the organisers and the Committee disagree, is a question to which I have no answer.

I remember when CONGU said that scores in roll ups had to taken in to consideration at the Annual Review, when I asked some of the groups for their records some of the relies were not exactly polite. In the end the decision was if I am not being given all records............