WHS

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Come the the day (and the months beyond) I am sure there will be a complete guideline/interpretation issued by the R&A as it would appear there is a to a conflict between what was said at the workshops and what some are saying is correct according the Rules of Golf.

Bit like a ball in the bunker at the moment R&A said one thing thing and CONGU wanted another.
The R&A only suggested an example which covered all of the territories in their area of jurisdiction, many of whom use 1cl for Preferred Lies.
Committee may use one of the following options:
  • Change the status of the bunkers to be part of the general area and declare all of them to be ground under repair.
  • Introduce preferred lies in bunkers, for example allowing a place in the bunker within one club-length not nearer to the hole than where the ball came to rest.
CONGU made a Rule which is consistent with the Rule for Preferred Lies in CONGU Qualifying Competitions.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If that is the case then it is the worst choice of the three, in my opinion.
Why? Index tells you nothing about strokes received. Arguably Playing might be better but it means the player may have to do different calculations depending on the form of play.
Also Playing is not used in the calculation of Score Differential - important in "Supplementary Scores" and any non-computerised club or other body around the world.
Remember WHS is primarily about handicaps not competitions.

IanMcC

Visit site
Why? Index tells you nothing about strokes received. Arguably Playing might be better but it means the player may have to do different calculations depending on the form of play.
Handicap Index is the one constant in a player's mind. If someone asks your handicap in conversation you will quote your HI. There are arguments for this to be the one required.
Playing Handicap is the number is shots you actually receive on the day, and there are massive arguments for this figure to be the one actually required.
Course Handicap can be derived erroneously with an incorrect calculation from HI, and also leaves room for error calculating PH.
I will find it difficult to DQ anyone who has made an effort to put any of the numbers in any of the 3 boxes, at least in the early months.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club has just publicised the WHS Tool Kit.
Looks like 48 pages of fun ???

Recieved ours and trying to decide whether to just send it out to everyone and let them have a headache or try and go through it and make some sense out of it and give an abridged version but as a non payed volunteer I might opt for the former.:sick: For individual comps for years I have said just put your handicap in and record gross scores, forget about the sums. All this % of handicap nonsense is just going to turn some of the "that's my handicap" brigade right off especially as gongu pushed for years that playing of your actual handicap in individual comps was statistically the only fair way. Seems they have gone down the governments route and only use the stats that suit them for ease?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Handicap Index is the one constant in a player's mind. If someone asks your handicap in conversation you will quote your HI. There are arguments for this to be the one required.
Playing Handicap is the number is shots you actually receive on the day, and there are massive arguments for this figure to be the one actually required.
Course Handicap can be derived erroneously with an incorrect calculation from HI, and also leaves room for error calculating PH.
I will find it difficult to DQ anyone who has made an effort to put any of the numbers in any of the 3 boxes, at least in the early months.
If many millions around the world (including those from the USA :whistle:) have been able to cope for many years now (ie prior to WHS), I'm sure it won't take long for the UK to catch on.

YandaB

Visit site
Also Playing is not used in the calculation of Score Differential - important in "Supplementary Scores" and any non-computerised club or other body around the world.
Remember WHS is primarily about handicaps not competitions.
But what is a handicap for if not competitive golf?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
How would that be consistent with CONGU. CONGU does not require your Exact Handicap currently but does require you to conform to the Rules of Golf.
The Rules of Golf require a figure that determines the number of strokes received
No it does not, it requires your CONGU handicap. In singles strokeplay that equates to your strokes received, but that has not always been the case and in other formats (4ball, foursomes) it does not.

IanMcC

Visit site
If many millions around the world (including those from the USA :whistle:) have been able to cope for many years now (ie prior to WHS), I'm sure it won't take long for the UK to catch on.
If many millions around the world are coping, and WHS is live for millions of golfers, and it is supposed to be a Unified System, why can I not get a definitive answer as to what handicap is required on the card?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could you provide a working hyperlink here, please?

The Toolkit has been sent to all clubs who are supposed to chuck it out to members. Not wishing to be to “funny handshake“ over this, there are some areas that are for committees and although our club will more than likely send it out to all out members I would rather leave it for your club to decide who gets what. Sorry.

IanMcC

Visit site
The Toolkit has been sent to all clubs who are supposed to chuck it out to members. Not wishing to be to “funny handshake“ over this, there are some areas that are for committees and although our club will more than likely send it out to all out members I would rather leave it for your club to decide who gets what. Sorry.
Thanks a lot. You obviously have no idea what a hyperlink is.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not according to the WHS toolkit just sent out, in FAQ,s it says Handicap Index.
Are you reading the same FAQ as me?

Q: Do I enter competitions using my Handicap Index or my Course Handicap?
A: Competition entry should be based on your handicap index. This will be clarified in the terms of competition.

If not, what is the FAQ you refer to?

If so, it doesn't mean the HI is the one required on the card.