WHS

IanMcC

Visit site
Playing Handicap. It's the only one that makes sense.

Edit: It's also the one that is used for Competition purposes. And the Rules of Golf are concerned with competition results not handicap systems.
Thanks rulefan. This is what I thought but Wales Golf could not confirm it.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We are using slope and course rating in austria since (i think) 2000. on the scorecard it's always the playing handicap because that is important for competitions and for assignment of strokes awarded in stableford competitions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
+1000

It baffles me how so many people seem to be genuinely concerned about the move to the new system and not understanding it. Fine, for those who want to understand HOW it’s being calculated - fine, but it usually shows quickly that the question arises from a perspective of how will I know how many shots/what’ll my course handicap be.

Look up chart —> raise finger —> follow chart til you find your handicap —> look how many shots you’re given —> play.

You are missing a step!- before play - work out your playing handicap according to what format you will be playing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Edit: It's also the one that is used for Competition purposes. And the Rules of Golf are concerned with competition results not handicap systems.

According to the workshop I went on the one thing that has to be on the card is your Handicap Index if a player gets the calculations wrong in a stroke play comp there is no penalty.

Handicap Index is the one thing that is already calculated for you and therefore should be correct.

The other thing that I see is that the computer will show you your Handicap Index which you verify as being correct on the card and not your course or playing handicap but I suppose we will have to wait until the systems are operational to see what is shown.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has it been decided yet what handicap you need to include on the scorecard to avoid disqualification? Is it Handicap Index, Course Handicap
or Playing Handicap? I asked at the online forums but nobody knew.

I differ to rulefans view

According to the workshop I went on the correct Handicap Index has to be on the card and there is no penalty for any subsequent miscalculation of course or playing handicap.

D

Deleted member 25172

You are missing a step!- before play - work out your playing handicap according to what format you will be playing.

Yeah? That is what was I was explaining there, no?
You look up the playing handicap, based on your handicap index, on the chart, then play. What did I miss?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah? That is what was I was explaining there, no?
You look up the playing handicap, based on your handicap index, on the chart, then play. What did I miss?

What you look up on the charts is you course handicap

You then apply a further calculation to convert your course handicap to your playing handicap.

D

Deleted member 3432

??

We have a handicap index, the chart shows us what we play off that day based on the tees we play.
What extra calculation is there? I thought I had it sussed ?

Non golfer asks you what you play off?

Give me ten minutes to consult the chart and work it out is the reply...:unsure:;)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
??

We have a handicap index, the chart shows us what we play off that day based on the tees we play.
Any adjustment, eg as a result of playing off 95% the handicap allowance for individual stroke play

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
??

Individual stroke play
95%
Individual Stableford
95%
Four-ball stroke play
85%
Four-ball stableford
85%
Individual match play
100%
Four-ball match play
95%
Best 1 of 4 stroke play
75%
Best 2 of 4 stroke play
85%
Best 3 of 4 stroke play
100%
All 4 of 4 stroke play
100%
Foursomes
50% of combined team handicap
Greensomes
60% Low handicap + 40% high handicap
Scramble (4 players)
25%/20%/15%/10% from lowest to highest handicap
Scramble (2 players)
35% Low / 15% High

+others

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I differ to rulefans view

According to the workshop I went on the correct Handicap Index has to be on the card and there is no penalty for any subsequent miscalculation of course or playing handicap.
I agree.

A bit like you have 2 boxes now (usually) for handicap and strokes received, I'm assuming the 2 will now be handicap index and playing handicap

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

Disagree, if staying consistent with CONGU, then it would be the handicap Index. i.e. your handicap before any calculations for the course and/or competition.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Disagree, if staying consistent with CONGU, then it would be the handicap Index. i.e. your handicap before any calculations for the course and/or competition.
How would that be consistent with CONGU. CONGU does not require your Exact Handicap currently but does require you to conform to the Rules of Golf.
The Rules of Golf require a figure that determines the number of strokes received

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree.

A bit like you have 2 boxes now (usually) for handicap and strokes received, I'm assuming the 2 will now be handicap index and playing handicap

I got a bit annoyed with our manager at the workshop we were just about to place an order for new cards I pointed out we now need boxes for 3 - H.I., course and playing but he went ahead with order with just 2.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How would that be consistent with CONGU. CONGU does not require your Exact Handicap currently but does require you to conform to the Rules of Golf.
The Rules of Golf require a figure that determines the number of strokes received

Come the the day (and the months beyond) I am sure there will be a complete guideline/interpretation issued by the R&A as it would appear there is a to a conflict between what was said at the workshops and what some are saying is correct according the Rules of Golf.

Bit like a ball in the bunker at the moment R&A said one thing thing and CONGU wanted another.