WHS

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you reading the same FAQ as me?

Q: Do I enter competitions using my Handicap Index or my Course Handicap?
A: Competition entry should be based on your handicap index. This will be clarified in the terms of competition.

If not, what is the FAQ you refer to?

If so, it doesn't mean the HI is the one required on the card.

Re read it now and see where your coming from.

One of the other ones has surprised me:

Q: When playing other courses can I submit a score card to my home club?
A: Yes – you can record all pre-registered scores that follow the rules of golf and are
authorised formats of play.

My understanding was that the card would be entered at the course where you played. Has this changed.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Are you reading the same FAQ as me?

Q: Do I enter competitions using my Handicap Index or my Course Handicap?
A: Competition entry should be based on your handicap index. This will be clarified in the terms of competition.

If not, what is the FAQ you refer to?

If so, it doesn't mean the HI is the one required on the card.
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but that says it IS based on the handicap index!!

It therefore stands to reason that, that's what you enter on your card.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but that says it IS based on the handicap index!!

A lot of those responsible (many are volunteers) for trying to implement WHS are wading through the bible. It’s quite a read and I’m sure someone will come up eventually with the definitive answer.

D

Deleted member 25172

What I was thinking as well. Read it over and over to see what I was missing, but I cannot see how that in any way is something that is up for interpretation.

D

Deleted member 25172

What I was thinking as well. Read it over and over to see what I was missing, but I cannot see how that in any way is something that is up for interpretation.

Re-read it once more now and see. HI to enter comp, not necessarily what is put on card. Got it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

"Based on" simply means that that it is fundamental to determining the Course Handicap (ie it is the start point of the formula).

Where did you see any words re the card?

Regardless, that is the advice I have from England Golf.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the other ones has surprised me:

Q: When playing other courses can I submit a score card to my home club?
A: Yes – you can record all pre-registered scores that follow the rules of golf and are
authorised formats of play.

My understanding was that the card would be entered at the course where you played. Has this changed.

My understanding is that it has not changed. You must follow the rules for supplementary scores at the course where you are playing and that club then submits the score to the CDH in the normal fashion. The CDH system then notifies an away score to the home club.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My understanding is that it has not changed. You must follow the rules for supplementary scores at the course where you are playing and that club then submits the score to the CDH in the normal fashion. The CDH system then notifies an away score to the home club.
That makes sense as the played course details must be available in the software to enable a score differential to be sent to and any Index change to be calculated by the WHS cloud.

IanMcC

Visit site
The Toolkit has been sent to all clubs who are supposed to chuck it out to members. Not wishing to be to “funny handshake“ over this, there are some areas that are for committees and although our club will more than likely send it out to all out members I would rather leave it for your club to decide who gets what. Sorry.
https://www.englandgolf.org/download/world-handicap-system-toolkit/

Not a great day for Old Skier as his little secret is now out in the open. Never mind, eh!!

IanMcC

Visit site
Couple of thoughts on the Toolkit after first glance.

1. I expected a Rules of Handicapping 2020 booklet suitable for GB&I to be included in this toolkit. The USGA toolkit included the USGA Rules of Handicapping booklet. When can we expect to see that, I wonder?
2. I find it hilarious that the Playing Handicap Allowances Table is 'not to be shared with golfers'. How exactly do they play a Pairs Matchplay then? Just guess, maybe? Possibly Old Skier had a hand in this one. :)
3. Still no definitive answer on what you need on the scorecard to avoid DQ regarding handicap, although its obviously not Playing Handicap.
4. The text and picture layout is all a bit busy, and does not make an easy read.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Bit of a debate in our four ball yesterday on WHS qualifying rounds. One of our number had been told by our golf manager that our Sat Roll Up score will count as a ‘qualifying’ Round towards our handicap index as it is a competition. Now the other three said that surely couldn’t be the case as roll up rounds are friendly capers much of the time with gentle distracting banter and various lengths gimmes and pickups throughout. How then can such a round count?

More to the point - we don’t want roll up rounds to count. We want them to ultimately not matter - and as soon as you make a round ’qualifying’ you immediately slow up pace of play and much of the ‘nonsense’ fun goes out of the round.

Could it be because, due to limited tee times at the moment, and a batch being reserved for the roll up - we have had to set up the roll up on our system as if it were a formal competition - which it isn’t. But our system might see it as such and so include scores for our Handicap Index?

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be a Qualifier the round has to be formally pre-declared by the player. It it isn't, it isn't.
That is the situation under current CONGU and (IMO) future WHS regulations.

PS. I assume you are playing singles strokeplay or stableford. Not Fourball or a match of some sort.

However "various lengths gimmes and pickups throughout " would seem to preclude such scores anyway.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
To be a Qualifier the round has to be formally pre-declared by the player. It it isn't, it isn't.
That is the situation under current CONGU and (IMO) future WHS regulations.

PS. I assume you are playing singles strokeplay or stableford. Not Fourball or a match of some sort.

However "various lengths gimmes and pickups throughout " would seem to preclude such scores anyway.
The roll up competition is singles stableford played in four ball groups; at the same time in our group we usually pair up to have a little 4BBB match. The implication seems to be that the roll up is a competition and all competition rounds by definition are qualifiers, and so by entering the roll up we are implicitly pre-declaring our round to be a qualifier. That is how the club seems to be interpreting it.

Pick ups and gimmes would just result in a NR for a hole and the round - but wouldn’t stop it being counted in my 20 Round moving window.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I thought I'd been educated by this part of the forum that stableford was (a form of) strokeplay ?‍♂

It's tricky to keep up ?
We score our strokeplay using stableford points ? I guess that that’s something closer to the precise way of talking about stableford ?

That aside - our clubs current interpretation seems against the spirit of what is being sought from WBS. We have to be able to play non-qualifying roll up/swindle comps.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought I'd been educated by this part of the forum that stableford was (a form of) strokeplay ?‍♂
You are quite correct but in the context of this question I was trying to clarify the mention of "...pickups throughout ", as pickups are legitimate in stableford.
Perhaps I should have used the word medal?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We score our strokeplay using stableford points ? I guess that that’s something closer to the precise way of talking about stableford ?

That aside - our clubs current interpretation seems against the spirit of what is being sought from WBS. We have to be able to play non-qualifying roll up/swindle comps.
Is your club using this interpretation for current CONGU rounds? This is certainly not permitted. However, there is some ambiguity in WHS which I am trying to get sorted out.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is your club using this interpretation for current CONGU rounds? This is certainly not permitted. However, there is some ambiguity in WHS which I am trying to get sorted out.
At the moment our roll ups aren’t counted as qualifiers, but if I play in the roll up and want my round to count as a supplementary then I register it beforehand as normal and one of the group marks a card for me. I cannot be given any putts - the others can - but not me. And if we are playing a little 4BBB match at the same time then I can’t be advised by my 4BBB match partner.

This issue is coming out of WHS. The club current interpretation of a roll up being a qualifying comp under WHS would kill the roll up as a group competition.

My comment relating to stableford was simply how you can score your strokeplay using stableford points. As you’d expect we don’t do that for medal rounds.

Last edited: