WHS

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Couple questions regarding whs, do assesers come and walk a course and assess slope/ index? Or is it done another way?

I know this was to come into effect in November but will this be delayed until next year due to current circumstances?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rating teams from the county walk and measure the course. Most have now been done but those that haven't by November will allotted values based on average courses and possibly) some local knowledge.

At the moment EG is still on target for November 2nd to go live with WHS.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Rating teams from the county walk and measure the course. Most have now been done but those that haven't by November will allotted values based on average courses and possibly) some local knowledge.

At the moment EG is still on target for November 2nd to go live with WHS.

Thank you

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like RF I think it is still a go for 2 November.

If your course hasn't been formally assessed yet then EG will give it a temporary rating and Slope Index per tee to allow the introduction to proceed. I'm assuming that allowing for social distancing they can now be assessed but it depends if EG are in work to complete the process.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Just a small question which may have been answered number of times so sorry if missed it.
I understand under WHS we will have an Handicap index. Which then when we play courses from different tees we have a playing handicap based on the slope etc.
But what happens at your home club ? If I have a playing index of 11 and my club is 135 off the whites does that mean in comps I play off 13 I think or 11?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The former. The Index is course independent. Your actual net scores are 'de-sloped' to give you a handicap index for a 'neutral/average' course (ie slope of 113). In effect reverse the calculation you did to get from 11 to 13.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a small question which may have been answered number of times so sorry if missed it.
I understand under WHS we will have an Handicap index. Which then when we play courses from different tees we have a playing handicap based on the slope etc.
But what happens at your home club ? If I have a playing index of 11 and my club is 135 off the whites does that mean in comps I play off 13 I think or 11?

The calculation is divide the slope rating by 113 multiply this by your handicap index and round to a whole number to give a course handicap.
This will then be further modified by the allowance for the format for the competition you are playing in eg singles stroke play is 95% rounded to a whole number

Your handicap index will virtually always be a a number with decimal points as is the slope /113 calculation

As a rough guide

135/113x11=13.14 rounded =13
95% of 13 = 12.35 give a playing handicap of 12 in singles stroke play

if your handicap index is (say) actually 11.4 the course handicap becomes 14 and playing 13

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
To clarify my post #7.
(The actual formulae are abbreviated to show the principle)

Course Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope / 113)
Score Differential = (113 /Slope) x (Gross Score - Course Rating)
Score Differentials are used to calculate your (8 from 20) Handicap Index

D

Deleted member 25172

Or just use the charts provided

+1000

It baffles me how so many people seem to be genuinely concerned about the move to the new system and not understanding it. Fine, for those who want to understand HOW it’s being calculated - fine, but it usually shows quickly that the question arises from a perspective of how will I know how many shots/what’ll my course handicap be.

Look up chart —> raise finger —> follow chart til you find your handicap —> look how many shots you’re given —> play.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
+1000

It baffles me how so many people seem to be genuinely concerned about the move to the new system and not understanding it. Fine, for those who want to understand HOW it’s being calculated - fine, but it usually shows quickly that the question arises from a perspective of how will I know how many shots/what’ll my course handicap be.

Look up chart —> raise finger —> follow chart til you find your handicap —> look how many shots you’re given —> play..Swear..

IanMcC

Visit site
Has it been decided yet what handicap you need to include on the scorecard to avoid disqualification? Is it Handicap Index, Course Handicap or Playing Handicap? I asked at the online forums but nobody knew.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or just use the charts provided
The charts only tell half the story. How to get from an Index to a handicap used in play.
They don't tell you how the score you returned may affect your Index.

Don't get me wrong - I prefer the WHS method but with CONGU you could determine you new handicap immediately after the comp closed without having to remember your old comp results or do any fiddly calculations (except add 0.1 or deduct 0.x)

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The charts only tell half the story. How to get from an Index to a handicap used in play.
They don't tell you how the score you returned may affect your Index.

Don't get me wrong - I prefer the WHS method but with CONGU you could determine you new handicap immediately after the comp closed without having to remember your old comp results or do any fiddly calculations (except add 0.1 or deduct 0.x)

Didn’t realise there was going to be any fiddly calculations the way the WHS team explained it to us.

Play comp - calculation done at midnight - wake up with new Index.

Just received the new “Tool Kit” from EG, not had a chance to look at it yet, hopefully once it is used to inform members it will clear things up.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has it been decided yet what handicap you need to include on the scorecard to avoid disqualification? Is it Handicap Index, Course Handicap or Playing Handicap? I asked at the online forums but nobody knew.
Playing Handicap. It's the only one that makes sense.

Edit: It's also the one that is used for Competition purposes. And the Rules of Golf are concerned with competition results not handicap systems.

Edit (29/7/2020): I have since been told by EG that Course Handicap must be on the card. The others are optional.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn’t realise there was going to be any fiddly calculations the way the WHS team explained it to us.

Play comp - calculation done at midnight - wake up with new Index.
I agree. It's just that some like to work it out themselves as soon as they can.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
+1000

Look up chart —> raise finger —> follow chart til you find your handicap —> look how many shots you’re given —> play.
That all works well until you throw in the mix the Matchplay leagues. I was having discussion with the league secretary and he thinks it will be a nightmare next season. As he says as you move from one club to another to play it will all have to be worked out before hand. As the league is an 8-15 handicap at moment, it’s simple as you have that handicap. Next year it could be you think your playing off what ever at home course but got to an easier course and sifpdeenly you can’t play in the slot you thought you were in as you dropped X amount of shots. This means week by week the team is picked for the course you are playing at and not Always the best player at the time.

NearHull

Visit site
That all works well until you throw in the mix the Matchplay leagues. I was having discussion with the league secretary and he thinks it will be a nightmare next season. As he says as you move from one club to another to play it will all have to be worked out before hand. As the league is an 8-15 handicap at moment, it’s simple as you have that handicap. Next year it could be you think your playing off what ever at home course but got to an easier course and sifpdeenly you can’t play in the slot you thought you were in as you dropped X amount of shots. This means week by week the team is picked for the course you are playing at and not Always the best player at the time.
Could the league ‘splits‘ use Handicap Index?

D

Deleted member 25172

Sorry, I don’t understand. Your handicap is your handicap, no matter where you go. The only thing that will differ is how many shots that handicap will have on any given course. Surely the competition will be based on your handicap index, not the course handicap? If it is based on course handicap then sure, I see some sort of niggling issues but not more than a few clicks away on a computer to look up the slope chart from the club you’re to play.

And also, if it works for the rest of the world, I’m sure it’ll work in the UK as well. Have never had or heard any issues about this back home in Sweden where this system has been in place since forever.

Last edited by a moderator: