WHS working well for me

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have an official handicap index of 3.0.
I know that with more accurate calculation of the average of best 8 differentials (no other calculations involved) this would give the correct answer of 2.9.

All of the above is factual. It is not irrelevant.

Both 3.0 and 2.9 are equally correct. The mathematics are correct, but the conclusions drawn, incorrect. Making the apparent inaccuracy, irrelevant.

Hercules

Visit site
I recently played in a better ball comp over four days. I filled in my own individual cards for these four rounds but have been told that these can't be submitted for handicap purposes! Is this correct?

Swango1980

Visit site
I recently played in a better ball comp over four days. I filled in my own individual cards for these four rounds but have been told that these can't be submitted for handicap purposes! Is this correct?
Yes, better ball is not acceptable for handicap, as there'll be certain team elements that could impact the way you play. Also, even if it were acceptable, you'd need to pre register you intent before teeing off

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I popped a score in yesterday of 34pts and got a 0.1 cut ( 2 blobs on the front 9) .. now I could be accused of being a bandit

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The significance is that I am playing off 4 when I should be playing off 3.
Nothing to do with any aspect of the overall system, merely poor arithmetic of the average of 8 calculation.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As I work on rebuilding my swing with new clubs my HI has gone from 8.4 to 10.9…that is both a fair reflection of my golf over this transition and is what I need to keep posting ok scores and keep positive. Under the old system such a significant increase would have been very unlikely.

In three rounds time I will lose a 9.4 and I am unlikely to post a score equal to or bettering that - so HI will continue to increase as my best non-counting diff is 13.6 and so it could jump to 11.3 or more which will see me with a CH of 13. Quite a change in a year…but working for me.

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The significance is that I am playing off 4 when I should be playing off 3.
Nothing to do with any aspect of the overall system, merely poor arithmetic of the average of 8 calculation.
OK, we understand the point, but every single player moves a whole shot in playing handicap when their CH moves 0.1 one way or the other when they are right on the cusp of a PH change. That is impossible to change, you're just excited about it because you can see a way where it splits when calculated to the nth degree.

What will really blow your mind is that Wales, Ireland and England use a rounded course handicap, but Scotland uses the exact. So you could cross the border & play a course with identical ratings, but be playing off a different handicap. :eek::LOL:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Does not blow my mind, because I knew that in November last year. I would prefer the Scottish way as it removes the disproportionate "lump" of players with a playing handicap of 10.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my mates has been a bandit off 29 for too long as he rarely enters comps, and when he does he crumbles to pieces. So we made him put in a card on the weekend, and sure enough he played really well, getting 39 points with one blob (around 94 gross). So he puts the card in through the EG app - and only got cut by 0.4. He's now 28.6 so still off 29 essentially. Old system he would have been cut around 1.2 wouldn't he, so at least he'd have gone down a shot? His front nine was actually one shot lower gross than me and his handicap is still double mine! No wonder high handicappers are winning everything now.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
In the bar on Saturday, we were taking about the inconsistencies of peoples' approach to entering general play cards... we're seeing the range of "lots" to "none!"

I guess the sensible solution is to accept the disparity or return to a comps only (mainly?) approach.

But I guess if left to the WHS Police, we know their answer! :)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
In the bar on Saturday, we were taking about the inconsistencies of peoples' approach to entering general play cards... we're seeing the range of "lots" to "none!"

I guess the sensible solution is to accept the disparity or return to a comps only (mainly?) approach.

But I guess if left to the WHS Police, we know their answer! :)
This 100%. In the UK we've simply never been returners of casual play cards, as a result a style of play during bounce games involves gimmes, dragging back putts for a rego, maybe dropping a ball now and again when you've duffed one, playing in "casual" 4BBB side bets etc.

You can't just change that mentality that is so ingrained.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I agree with you entirely with the caveat that where ever you draw a line/set a policy, there are anomalies at the margin.
..and this anomaly could be eradicated by setting differentials to two decimal places. Very easy for WHS to do this - and hey presto - this anomaly is no more.

But I agree with you and an earlier poster. Differentials have been set at one decimal place and that's that. We live with it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
One of my mates has been a bandit off 29 for too long as he rarely enters comps, and when he does he crumbles to pieces. So we made him put in a card on the weekend, and sure enough he played really well, getting 39 points with one blob (around 94 gross). So he puts the card in through the EG app - and only got cut by 0.4. He's now 28.6 so still off 29 essentially. Old system he would have been cut around 1.2 wouldn't he, so at least he'd have gone down a shot? His front nine was actually one shot lower gross than me and his handicap is still double mine! No wonder high handicappers are winning everything now.

Not a massive cut - but hes literally beaten handicap by 1 stroke so I wouldnt expect much more personally. I'd need an exceptional round now to see a significant cut in my average