WHS working well for me

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
He kept score, I record pluses and minuses.. I was 1 under my handicap after 17 holes he was 7 under his

So you played around or just under your handicap and he played a good bit better than his? And therefore he won.

I don't see anything particularly out of the ordinary re. a 15 handicapper being +8 thru 17 holes, would have been a very nice cut in CONGU old money if done in a counting comp and well within the standard deviation of scores that many 15 handicappers are capable of. My best gross score is +5 in competition and my best 9 holes is -1 gross and my lowest ever playing handicap is 11.

I get your point re. manipulation but it's generally not the way people manipulate their handicap regardless of system in my experience. In the old CONGU world you needed to hand in 3 cards to keep an active handicap. The handicap manipulators would play in their 3 comps (the minimum required), there would be no good scores amongst them and then off they would go into another season of scrambles, 4BBB's and match play comps. In the new WHS world you don't have to hand in any cards at all to maintain an active handicap and so these same guys will just not hand in any comp cards or GP play cards and just carry on as they did before entering scrambles, 4BBB's etc. So my conclusion is someone who is truly trying to maintain an artificially high handicap would get it high and then just never hand in any more cards. Handing in low scores then having to hand in loads of cards i.e. 20, to get rid of low scores would be much more difficult and a load of hassle, and therefore for me doesn't fit the profile of a handicap manipulator.

D

Deleted member 21258

He kept score, I record pluses and minuses.. I was 1 under my handicap after 17 holes he was 7 under his

You are almost describing me, by your posts above. I can get it around under or very close to par on good days but can also easy shot 20 over.

I was 6.6 when WHS came in, now 10.5 via soft cap. Just haven't put the scores together in a round.

My good scores have/are disappearing(ed) fast and I haven't been luckily enough to record any really low scores whilst during a card(done 30) this year, some down to the above and some due to playing at other courses(harder ones than home club, slope does not reflect fairly for me), which hasn't help handicap scoring this year. In fact looking at my scoring, I have played all my scoring rounds on trickier/harder courses and none at home club this year.

I suppose I am what I would describe as a wildly inconsistent handicapper player, WHS will keep going up and then I will hit a rich period of play and get slashed. The opposite of a guy I know, almost always shots 30+ stableford points, consistent handicap, sickens me with jealously he does:LOL:

Hows the guy done in other comps ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are almost describing me, by your posts above. I can get it around under or very close to par on good days but can also easy shot 20 over.

I was 6.6 when WHS came in, now 10.5 via soft cap. Just haven't put the scores together in a round.

My good scores have/are disappearing(ed) fast and I haven't been luckily enough to record any really low scores whilst during a card(done 30) this year, some down to the above and some due to playing at other courses(harder ones than home club, slope does not reflect fairly for me), which hasn't help handicap scoring this year. In fact looking at my scoring, I have played all my scoring rounds on trickier/harder courses and none at home club this year.

I suppose I am what I would describe as a wildly inconsistent handicapper player, WHS will keep going up and then I will hit a rich period of play and get slashed. The opposite of a guy I know, almost always shots 30+ stableford points, consistent handicap, sickens me with jealously he does:LOL:

Hows the guy done in other comps ?
He has basically gone 5 bad 1 good but brutally honest they are mainly stableford scores .. 6-7 blobs and attacking the 2 s

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
My hunch is WHS will suit those who play aggressively and regularly put scores in.
Guy where I play, let me say I have no question marks on at all - hits a long ball and goes for stuff.
20th score is from 1st Aug 2021, HI 11.0
14th Aug had the "red letter day", in a comp, differential of 1 (with a HIO also!), HI to 7.7
Few more rounds this month and it will be gone. Note several better scores are general play ones.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Lost my best score out of my 20-score record today. It was a differential of 1.0.
So 9th best score of 4.5 kicked in to replace it. Today's differential is 5.2 and that is my new 9th best.
Something has happened to me that I predicted was a possible flaw in HI calculations, because differentials are rounded to one decimal place.
My new HI looks like being 3.0 tomorrow. The average of my new best 8 is 2.95 and this gets rounded to 3.0.
But if they rounded differentials to 2 decimal places, my new HI would be 2.94125 and this should be rounded to 2.9.
In order for everyone's HI to be accurate, differentials should be 2 decimal places not 1.

There will be a significant proportion of us at any given time whose Handicap Index is in error by one decimal place due to an accumulation of rounding tolerances.

My question to the forum:

I know my HI is wrong and why. Should I play to what I know is my correct handicap index or accept the WHS error as a false reality and live with it?

Swango1980

Visit site
Lost my best score out of my 20-score record today. It was a differential of 1.0.
So 9th best score of 4.5 kicked in to replace it. Today's differential is 5.2 and that is my new 9th best.
Something has happened to me that I predicted was a possible flaw in HI calculations, because differentials are rounded to one decimal place.
My new HI looks like being 3.0 tomorrow. The average of my new best 8 is 2.95 and this gets rounded to 3.0.
But if they rounded differentials to 2 decimal places, my new HI would be 2.94125 and this should be rounded to 2.9.
In order for everyone's HI to be accurate, differentials should be 2 decimal places not 1.

There will be a significant proportion of us at any given time whose Handicap Index is in error by one decimal place due to an accumulation of rounding tolerances.

I know my HI is wrong and why. Should I play to what I know is my correct handicap index or accept the WHS error as a false reality and live with it?
First world problems. Tell the press, they may run with that story, knock down climate change and lack of delivery drivers further down the list of headlines :)

Personally, I wouldn't stress about it.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

You correct handicap index is what WHS calculates, it's not worked to 2 decimal places. Also you must be working it out wrong anyway, if you're 2.94125, then that's 2.9 not 3.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
You correct handicap index is what WHS calculates, it's not worked to 2 decimal places. Also you must be working it out wrong anyway, if you're 2.94125, then that's 2.9 not 3.
First bold bit - I am inclined to agree. Differentials are one decimal place and that's that.
Second bold bit - I calculated my differentials correctly and correctly rounded them to 2 decimal places and did the average correctly. Correctly, correctly, correctly average is 2.94125.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
First world problems. Tell the press, they may run with that story, knock down climate change and lack of delivery drivers further down the list of headlines :)

Personally, I am not stressing or inclined to. I think I will take the easy option of living with it.
Thought this might be of interest to WHS critics, however.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
First bold bit - I am inclined to agree. Differentials are one decimal place and that's that.
Second bold bit - I calculated my differentials correctly and correctly rounded them to 2 decimal places and did the average correctly. Correctly, correctly, correctly average is 2.94125.
OK, but if it's 2.94125.....then it's not 2.95, it's 2.94 so should be 2.9 not 3.0, yes?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

You never know, it could knock Texas Scramble allowances or initial WHS handicap allocations off the lead story slot on tonight's News at Ten...

Swango1980

Visit site
But if round to one decimal, 2.94....rounds down not up, you only round up once hitting 2,95....
The point he is making is that, WHS calculates Score Diff to one decimal place. Then adds them up and divides by 8 to get average of 2.95, thus Index of 3 0.

He has done exact same calculation, but worked out each Score Diff to 2 decimal places instead of 1, thus he gets an end Index of 2.9.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
But if round to one decimal, 2.94....rounds down not up, you only round up once hitting 2,95....
No, it is the differentials that are rounded to one decimal place by WHS - all of them.
I have calculated all my differentials and rounded them to 2 decimal places to create an accurate one decimal place average.