Reductions for good play.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Since 1 Jan we've had 4 comps.

One chap has won 2 out of 4. He's only played in 2 of them!

He also won a hcp club knock out last year.

He used to be off about 4, now off 9 then 8. Clearly his handicap it too high.

Is there any mechanism to reduce his hcp under whs?

D-S

Visit site

Yup - committee can review him at any time and multilple times if necessary. They just need evidence and consistency- if he doesn’t like the result (number of shots cut) he can appeal to the
County and if the committee have behaved fairly, consistently and responsibly with good evidence they will back the club.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

See Appendix D

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Were they qualifying?

D

Deleted member 35504

Without any data to back this up this is a pretty common occurrence just from my observation since this system came in.

Several guys who were 4-5 handicaps have now gone up to 9 ish and are very comfortable and quite often there's one shooting 4 or 5 over and taking the pot.

The new system has put them way too high with plenty of chance to come in with the odd 40 points on a reasonable day with no screw ups.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without any data to back this up this is a pretty common occurrence just from my observation since this system came in.

Several guys who were 4-5 handicaps have now gone up to 9 ish and are very comfortable and quite often there's one shooting 4 or 5 over and taking the pot.

The new system has put them way too high with plenty of chance to come in with the odd 40 points on a reasonable day with no screw ups.
Off our measured Red tees that would be just 1 better than their h/cap. Until 1st April cant be using 36pts as standard if that's what you're doing

D

Deleted member 35504

Off our measured Red tees that would be just 1 better than their h/cap. Until 1st April cant be using 36pts as standard if that's what you're doing
No it's not what I'm doing and I'm talking about men, so obviously nothing to do with red tees.

I'm talking about observations during the proper golfing season over the past 3 years.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Have you looked at his scoring record for all his WHS scores? If you were on the H'cap committee would you be adjusting against all the scores and not just 2 of them bearing in mind that the 2 may well have brought a decrease in his H.I anyway.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No it's not what I'm doing and I'm talking about men, so obviously nothing to do with red tees.

I'm talking about observations during the proper golfing season over the past 3 years.
Measured for men, these have been our only tees in play since last Oct with 2 months being Q.
It wasn't clear from your post that you were going back so far. Many of our single figure guys have gone up in WHS as they're now putting in more rounds so getting a HI close to their current form etc. If everyone does the same equality will be restored.

D

Deleted member 35504

Measured for men, these have been our only tees in play since last Oct with 2 months being Q.
It wasn't clear from your post that you were going back so far. Many of our single figure guys have gone up in WHS as they're now putting in more rounds so getting a HI close to their current form etc. If everyone does the same equality will be restored.
Yeah a couple of middle-aged under the thumb married guys off high handicaps thought it would be radical and "fun" to dictate red tees at our place over winter, thankfully they were told to grow a pair as not everyone wanted that to be compulsory.

I think the words "since this system came in" clarified the time period I was covering. 😉

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah a couple of middle-aged under the thumb married guys off high handicaps thought it would be radical and "fun" to dictate red tees at our place over winter, thankfully they were told to grow a pair as not everyone wanted that to be compulsory.

I think the words "since this system came in" clarified the time period I was covering. 😉
Nay..... we had all weather mats built by the Reds so that the main tees wouldn't get hammered. Recognised by all at the Club as best thing we have ever done. 39pts required to play to your H/cap & very low 40's being best achieved even though those low guys brave enough to continue with winter golf can drive several of the par 4's often getting in the 2's put. We're the sort of Club that doesn't need to change from Red for the men to be happy playing from there without the need to wear a skirt 🤣🤣

D

Deleted member 35504

Nay..... we had all weather mats built by the Reds so that the main tees wouldn't get hammered. Recognised by all at the Club as best thing we have ever done.
I seriously doubt that.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have you looked at his scoring record for all his WHS scores? If you were on the H'cap committee would you be adjusting against all the scores and not just 2 of them bearing in mind that the 2 may well have brought a decrease in his H.I anyway.
No I have not looked at all the scores.
Someone told me his medal win yesterday resulted in an increase in his index!

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
No I have not looked at all the scores.
Someone told me his medal win yesterday resulted in an increase in his index!
Of course, "wins" don't matter when putting in scores for handicap, it's just another score. The system doesn't know or care! :)

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
It's all to do with the oldest 8/20 that was due to drop off his record.
Really it's only the 20th score that was going to drop off his scoring record. But the new score might replace one of the top 8 of that 20, and it doesn't need to be the "oldest" of those 8.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really it's only the 20th score that was going to drop off his scoring record. But the new score might replace one of the top 8 of that 20, and it doesn't need to be the "oldest" of those 8.
Yes. I couldn't be bothered with all the words. Kent seemed to understand the shorthand. ;)