Medal round , Picked up ball no NR ??

nyckuk

Visit site
Myself and a friend played a Mothly Medal round with 2 people we don't know as we are new to the club.It wasn't a board comp but it was £2 to enter top 3 places share the pot and scores to be entered into WHS.

My friend went in to the bunker on a Par 3 , took 4 attempts to get out without success and out of frustration picked up his ball and said he'll NR ( therefore as we thought, round over NR the whole round as it was a Medal comp )
Walking to the next tee the other 2 said he could just write down 4 over the Par so 7, we've never heard of this . We know WHS would of put it down as a 6 ( for his handicap),but if you were a 54 Hcp the 7 would still make you net 4 (if stableford 1 point ).
My friend was never going to win anyway it so we put down a 8 .

Another rule they said about which i have heard of but thought it could only be a local rule or used in a society game not a general rule used in comps, was if you hit your ball Out of bounds you could rather than play 3 off the tee, walk to where it went OOB and drop it anywhere no nearer the hole even on the fairway but this would be your 4th shot

Can you use either or both these rules for board comps ??

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You must hole out in medal play. If you don't, you don't have score for the hole and are disqualified. There is no rule that would get you out of that.

To proceed as this fellow suggests for a ball out of bounds, there would have to a local rule in place (Model Local Rule 8E-5). It is highly unlike that a monthly medal in the UK or Ireland would have it in place as it would render scores unacceptable for handicapping purposes.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
You must hole out in medal play. If you don't, you don't have score for the hole and are disqualified. There is no rule that would get you out of that.

Were the guys offering the advice in the original post meaning, enter a "whatever" so he could continue the round and have a card assessed for handicap playing record? (Even though NR in the comp? Would hope so! :)

Different clubs seem to have different ways of getting this keyed on the system. But he could key in the scores and write NR in the totals box.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

To proceed as this fellow suggests for a ball out of bounds, there would have to a local rule in place (Model Local Rule 8E-5). It is highly unlike that a monthly medal in the UK or Ireland would have it in place as it would render scores unacceptable for handicapping purposes.

Would it not be possible for the club to apply rule 21.2 Maximum Score for this competition.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Would it not be possible for the club to apply rule 21.2 Maximum Score for this competition.

^^^ This.

Our club has introduced the maximum score rule for medals to allow players who have reached the maximum number of strokes on any given hole to pick up and carry on to the next hole. We are advised when entering whether rule 21.2 applies to a competition.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
In a medal, you must finish the hole, even if your score needs a calculator to count. In my opinion, any club which allows you to enter a maximum score is making a serious error. At the very least, they have effectively changed the comp to a stableford (in which you may as well pick up once you are unable to score a point on the hole.

From a handicap point of view, the maximum score for the hole applies, essentially net double bogey, so you can fail to complete a hole, get DQ'd from the medal, but carry on playing and put in a score for handicap purposes, even one which reduces your handicap.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
^^^ This.

Our club has introduced the maximum score rule for medals to allow players who have reached the maximum number of strokes on any given hole to pick up and carry on to the next hole. We are advised when entering whether rule 21.2 applies to a competition.

Max score rule is applied only when a max score comp is set up. We only do this in high HC comps.

All medal rounds should be completed even if you NR a hole, obviously your DQ from the comp but card can be used for HC.

The OB rule is only in affect if the club has initiated the local rule, I don’t know a club who have officially done this although many societies may use it in their private game.

Billysboots

Visit site
Max score rule is applied only when a max score comp is set up. We only do this in high HC comps.

All medal rounds should be completed even if you NR a hole, obviously your DQ from the comp but card can be used for HC.

The OB rule is only in affect if the club has initiated the local rule, I don’t know a club who have officially done this although many societies may use it in their private game.

We use it for all medal competitions with the exception of the club championship. The idea is primarily to maintain a decent pace of play, and to keep interested those who may have had a disastrous couple of holes. It’s been generally well received.

Given we only play medals from March to September, with the CC in August, it only applies to six competitions a year.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another rule they said about which i have heard of but thought it could only be a local rule or used in a society game not a general rule used in comps, was if you hit your ball Out of bounds you could rather than play 3 off the tee, walk to where it went OOB and drop it anywhere no nearer the hole even on the fairway but this would be your 4th shot
This is an over simplification of the actual Local Rule. It is rarely used partly because it is awkward. You need to look at the full text and diagrams for the model Local Rule E-5 here.
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/h...letype=cp&section=rule&rulenum=8&subrulenum=5
You will need to scroll through some way

Or watch this
or this

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Myself and a friend played a Mothly Medal round with 2 people we don't know as we are new to the club.It wasn't a board comp but it was £2 to enter top 3 places share the pot and scores to be entered into WHS.

My friend went in to the bunker on a Par 3 , took 4 attempts to get out without success and out of frustration picked up his ball and said he'll NR ( therefore as we thought, round over NR the whole round as it was a Medal comp )
Walking to the next tee the other 2 said he could just write down 4 over the Par so 7, we've never heard of this . We know WHS would of put it down as a 6 ( for his handicap),but if you were a 54 Hcp the 7 would still make you net 4 (if stableford 1 point ).
Rule 3
A score for handicap purposes should not be overly influenced by one or two bad hole scores that are not reflective of a player’s demonstrated ability. In addition, incomplete scores and/or scores where a player did not hole out on every hole can provide reasonable evidence of the player’s ability and can be used for handicap purposes. Rule 3 covers the circumstances where scores may be acceptable and how these hole scores should be adjusted.
For a player with an established Handicap Index, the maximum score for each hole played is limited to a net double bogey, calculated as follows: Par of the hole + 2 strokes + Any handicap stroke(s) that the player receives on that hole* (*or minus any handicap stroke(s) that a plus handicap player gives back on that hole.)

Notes: 1. If the format of play does not allow a player to pick-up their ball before holing out, for example an individual gross score or net score stroke play competition, the player will be disqualified from the competition.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It sounds like someone has themselves confused between scoring for HC purposes and playing a medal.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As medal is not defined in the rules then I can see no reason why you couldn't. As I understand it the term medal was originally used to describe the prize on offer.
In the same way as Stableford and Par/Bogey are separately defined in the Rules of Golf so is Maximum Score. The format would have to be specified in the Terms of Competition.
But you are right in that 'medal' was originally related to a prize but they were normal Strokeplay.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Can you use either or both these rules for board comps ??

He has to put down NR for the hole and not an 8 else he will not be DQd if he puts in a score for all the other holes.

As others have said the OB rule is only a local rule. The use of this rule is not permitted for handicap purposes (guidance on the Rules of Handicapping Appendix J).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We use it for all medal competitions with the exception of the club championship. The idea is primarily to maintain a decent pace of play, and to keep interested those who may have had a disastrous couple of holes. It’s been generally well received.

Given we only play medals from March to September, with the CC in August, it only applies to six competitions a year.

The use of the Stroke and Distance alternative rule is not allowed for handicap purposes . Guidance on the Rules of Handicapping Appendix J

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
In the same way as Stableford and Par/Bogey are separately defined in the Rules of Golf so is Maximum Score. The format would have to be specified in the Terms of Competition.
But you are right in that 'medal' was originally related to a prize but they were normal Strokeplay.
Yes I understand that, my point is medal is not defined so the format does not have to be strokeplay (ignoring the fact that Stableford, Par/Bogey are forms of stroke play).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

The sanction on the OOB Local Rule applies to all forms of strokeplay. ie strokeplay, medal, stableford, maximum score, par/bogey. Handicap scores cannot be returned.
It sounds as if no one in your club will have any handicap scores at all. Has your committee actually kept up to date with the rules?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
The sanction on the OOB Local Rule applies to all forms of strokeplay. ie strokeplay, medal, stableford, maximum score, par/bogey. Handicap scores cannot be returned.
It sounds as if no one in your club will have any handicap scores at all. Has your committee actually kept up to date with the rules?
I believe Billy was referring to maximum score, which I thought could be used for acceptable scores.

Billysboots

Visit site

Knowing our committee, and specifically those looking after competitions, possibly not.

I rarely play medals as they can be excruciatingly slow at our place owing to the knee high second cut in summer, so have only paraphrased the notice on the club website which dates back some considerable time. I confess it’s not something I’ve kept abreast of, as I am yet to play a maximum score event.